IGNORED

Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team (NES)

NostalgicMachine

On 3/24/2022 at 4:00 PM, Tanooki said:

I most definitely enjoyed this game last I had it, wish I could find it again...prices...

Well, just announced today, Limited Run is doing a new, physical run of these...with the cart in...lime green?  And at a decent price!  I plan to pick it up before pre-orders close next month.

Edited by Sumer

On 3/25/2022 at 12:34 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

I've played through both.  SNES > NES

It was also the first game I ever owned so there's no potential for bias whatsoever 😂

Can you delve into the differences for us? I've always been curious about how the versions really differ, but most reports I can find online only delve into really superficial stuff like graphics and sound while mashing/credit feeding through the game, never really looking into the little details in how they play differently.

This game is from an era where every port of a game felt radically different, and from a company like Rare I can't expect anything else. But in spite of that, the different versions honestly appear quite close going from video footage alone.

For some reason I have the game on everything but the NES, but it really comes across like a game designed around that platform first and foremost.

Editorials Team · Posted

The biggest difference is the controls.  I don't know if I would call the NES version sluggish, but you have to be a lot more... deliberate with what you're trying to do.

I'm also super used to the SNES version, so perhaps that one would feel overly loose to someone else.

A lot of the NES sprites are pretty ugly too.  I don't mean in a downgraded, 8-bit way, but in a "why do Abobo and Roper and Blagh look so thrown together?" sort of way.

And minor balancing issues.  I feel like the SNES bosses put up more of a fight.  The Shadow Master fight is slightly different.

Those are all just details though.  The versions are very, very similar.  There's no missing content or changed levels.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Reed Rothchild, that's exactly the kind of things I needed to know! I'll just stick to the SNES version then. I got the MegaDrive version too, but I'll consider playing it afterwards only if I can't get enough....

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ooof LRG is handling it eh?

Actually not. It's not really advertised on their site, but you can see the RetroBit logo on there. RetroBit's releases usually has distribution via hundreds of different channels all over the world, and don't get sold out right away, so there's really no reason to stick to LRG for this release if you want to.

The page for the game on their own website: https://retro-bit.com/btdd/

Worth noting though that RetroBit's hardware is usually the bottom of the barrel. Their Metal Storm re-release was famous for their code to adjust the game to the mass produced china bootleg mapper they'd scooped up, altering the game's default settings to annoyingly invert the controls for the graity switching mechanics.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

Worth noting though that RetroBit's hardware is usually the bottom of the barrel. Their Metal Storm re-release was famous for their code to adjust the game to the mass produced china bootleg mapper they'd scooped up, altering the game's default settings to annoyingly invert the controls for the graity switching mechanics.

Ugh...seriously, retro(sh)bit then aren't they.  No excuse for breaking that at all considering what group they're pandering to that's a line crossed in the sand on that.  I had been considering something of theirs, not as much that one (now not at all) but the R-Type 3 bundle since the real one price sucks.  I find I'm just not trusting some of these companies anymore with shoddy products and/or sketchy delivery antics.  It's getting to where it's just not worth the stupid stuff.

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ugh...seriously, retro(sh)bit then aren't they.  No excuse for breaking that at all considering what group they're pandering to that's a line crossed in the sand on that.  I had been considering something of theirs, not as much that one (now not at all) but the R-Type 3 bundle since the real one price sucks.  I find I'm just not trusting some of these companies anymore with shoddy products and/or sketchy delivery antics.  It's getting to where it's just not worth the stupid stuff.

I'm glad we've got new stuff coming out, but I'm with you on the quality issue.  As things are, it's just cheap product in fancy packaging being sold at a premium for collectors.  As much as I roll my eyes at Analogue an their manufactured scarcity, I can at least applaud them for the quality of what they put out.

• Agree 1

On 4/20/2022 at 1:05 AM, Sumez said:

Thanks @Reed Rothchild, that's exactly the kind of things I needed to know! I'll just stick to the SNES version then. I got the MegaDrive version too, but I'll consider playing it afterwards only if I can't get enough....

Actually not. It's not really advertised on their site, but you can see the RetroBit logo on there. RetroBit's releases usually has distribution via hundreds of different channels all over the world, and don't get sold out right away, so there's really no reason to stick to LRG for this release if you want to.

The page for the game on their own website: https://retro-bit.com/btdd/

Good to know.  I saw the Retro-Bit logo too, but have only bought some of their A/V wiring.  I usually do Limited Run for things like these, so that is why I mentioned LRG!  Still, cool we are getting a re-release.  I DO NOT have an original, so definitely plan to get one from LRG to play with my kiddos!