IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

2 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I'm 40-50% of the way through Dragon Warrior III, but I don't mind if anyone else takes the win, especially since Khromak started it first (I think). Just playing it for my own personal list!

That's why I focus on games I need for my personal list as well.  If someone comes in and takes the points from under me, the time still isn't wasted for me 😛 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I'm 40-50% of the way through Dragon Warrior III, but I don't mind if anyone else takes the win, especially since Khromak started it first (I think). Just playing it for my own personal list!

Don't worry about it, you're way past where I am. I beat it every year regardless 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Khromak said:

Don't worry about it, you're way past where I am. I beat it every year regardless 😄

Oh, nice, I figured you'd be near the endgame by now! I've only beaten it once before, and that was with savestates in the early 2000s, so this is my first legit playthrough. I just got the Book of Satori, have 2 of 6 orbs, probably need to go to that tower near Soo next. Very standard party, no urge to turn anyone into a Sage. I'd forgotten how much the manual gives away -- I'm trying to look at it only when strictly necessary.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 416/677 (bonus games - 52/100)

Yesterday ended up being the first day of the year that I did absolutely no gaming...but I made up for it today with some hefty progress in Willow.  Until I hit a wall when I got to Fin Raziel.  I actually progressed to that point with minimal grinding, arriving just below level 6.  So yeah, she turned into a bird, so I levelled up to level 6 and she turned into a goat.  Guess I'm grinding a few levels before I progress any more 😛

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yesterday ended up being the first day of the year that I did absolutely no gaming...but I made up for it today with some hefty progress in Willow.  Until I hit a wall when I got to Fin Raziel.  I actually progressed to that point with minimal grinding, arriving just below level 6.  So yeah, she turned into a bird, so I levelled up to level 6 and she turned into a goat.  Guess I'm grinding a few levels before I progress any more 😛

You will need to be level 13 to restore Fin Raziel. The grinding when you reach her is probably the worst part of the game. 

You will also probably want to max out at level 16 before you fight Bavmorda at the end. Her first form is only vulnerable to cane magic, and takes a ton of hits to defeat her. You'll want to max out your mana, and have it full when you reach her.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

You will need to be level 13 to restore Fin Raziel. The grinding when you reach her is probably the worst part of the game. 

You will also probably want to max out at level 16 before you fight Bavmorda at the end. Her first form is only vulnerable to cane magic, and takes a ton of hits to defeat her. You'll want to max out your mana, and have it full when you reach her.

Damn, thanks for saving me from going to her repeatedly 😛 How many forms does she have though? Maybe I'll just go every time to see all the different animals she can turn to 😛

So in under an hour I've managed to get up to level 10.  It's actually not a bad grind really.  I've stuck around the Bar on the second map, as only a couple screens away (on the route to the underwater path) there is a screen with 4 skulls (80 XP total), and more importantly another one with three crab enemies worth 100 XP each.  I've just gone in and out on that screen repeatedly netting 300 XP, and when my magic gets low I go back a few screens to the bar.  It's not a terrible grind, just monotonous.  At least it's not grinding money for the Silver Shield in Dragon Warrior 😛

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 419/677 (bonus games - 52/100)

I grew up with the NES Superman game, and always had a soft spot for it, although I didn't get past the first mission until I was an adult. Last night was only my second time beating it. The music is so similar to Desert Commander that I had to look it up, and sure enough Hiroyuki Misuno has a composer credit on both titles.

Edited by nerdynebraskan
Fixed a grammar error

42 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I grew up with the NES Superman game, and always had a soft spot for it, although I didn't get past the first mission until I was an adult. Last night was only my second time beating it. The music is so similar to Desert Commander is so similar I had to look it up, and sure enough Hiroyuki Misuno has a composer credit on both titles.

Pretty sure what bugs people is the jumping mechanics...but those take all of a minute or two to get used to. I thoroughly enjoyed my run through it years ago, and it's something I've been wanting to do again for years...I'm just focused on new completions rather than replays.

The controls are a bit wonky in Superman, and so is the hit detection. It's not the cleanest, tightest NES game by any means. But I think the game was probably too non-linear for action players, and probably too much a button-masher for the people who like RPGs. That's my guess why Superman (NES) doesn't have a bigger fan base.

Also, Zen: Intergalactic Ninja is done.

Well, the first quest of 8 Eyes is done.  Not sure I want to continue with the rest of the quests if it's not required for the thread, as the game was pretty meh overall.  The ending is probably the best part, and it's not the greatest 😛  I'll probably get around to doing the rest of the quests eventually, but I'm not really interested in it at the moment if it's just for my personal list.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 422/677 (bonus games - 52/100)

Just begun work on Princess Tomato.  The game always intrigued me, but I've never fired it up.  Playing it blind, and am two chapters in.  I'd probably be able to progress faster with a guide, but since the bulk of the fun of this sort of game is solving the puzzles and following the story, I decided not to spoil it for myself.  So far I'm enjoying it, so that's a plus. 

I got back onto Lolo 2 tonight. I finally threw in the towel and used a walkthrough to get past the puzzle that's been stumping me the last handful of times I fired up the game. I've since solved a handful of stages on my own, and am now on Floor 8 and about a dozen puzzles from the end of the game.