IGNORED

What is - OBJECTIVELY - the best NES / Famicom game?

T-Pac

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Basically what you two both said @the_wizard_666 and @mbd39 though I don't care much for the casual reference.  I'd say normal gamers and casuals too, just to pass time and see if you can best your own old score, just to have fun, which games for most sane people are intended to be -- FUN, a distraction.  Sure the NES one is used because of the NWC and other hardcore Tetris elite competition along with a couple other as 'peak Tetris' as far as testing goes.  That's like what, one in a million tetris players who give that many fucks. 😉  As a standard Tetris game, not meant for hardcore competitive to record smashing types, it's the better game all around (other than music, love music A) but it ends there, a better NES Tetris game for the masses, not the slive of elite who go hardcore for name, money perhaps, prestige...NES then all day because it is so right for it, the NWC used it.

When I say "casual" I'm not saying someone who rarely plays.  I'm saying exactly what you're referring to as a "normal" gamer - playing what they like for fun, not competitively.  I still don't understand the love for Tengen Tetris though, as I have never liked it, especially next to Nintendo's version, but I also like Conan, so what do I know.  As long as you enjoy the game, then play away! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I still don't understand the love for Tengen Tetris though, as I have never liked it, especially next to Nintendo's version

I think people get fixated on the co-op and head-to-head modes. The fact that it was a pretty mythical game in the early days (even if the rarity was mistaken) has some carryover as well.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

but I also like Conan, so what do I know. 

Not the worst NES game. It's a bit cryptic and the controls are not the most intuitive, but there's worse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I think people get fixated on the co-op and head-to-head modes. The fact that it was a pretty mythical game in the early days (even if the rarity was mistaken) has some carryover as well.

Also Tengen Tetris is expensive and Nintendo Tetris is not. People want to think that the version they spent a lot of money on is the far superior version.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Well that's where you are wrong, sir!

tumblr_nskwbrHrfU1rwfidao1_400.gifv

There's a billion of issues with Tengen Tetris, and @mbd39 also only just scratched the surface. I could go on about it if anyone truly cared, and you really wouldn't need to address them, there's no "bait" here. You can prefer Tengen Tetris if you want to, there's no reason for me to argue that, I just can't see a single sensible reason for it. Doesn't matter if you're "elite" or "casual". 😄 

Also @CasualCart, I really want to see what EliteCart looks like now.

Well, I stand corrected then. I still love the tiny man dance of Tengen Tetris, though.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, CasualCart said:

Oh, so only elite gamers can have valid opinions? Nobody cares about casual's opinions???

Fine!!! I didn't wanna play with you guys anyway!!!

-CASUALcart

1656868453_TakemyBallandGoHome.jpg.09852090c75301a7fa4830a23e166ff1.jpg

Wait! Come back! Or at least, lend us the ball. 

Seriously, I reckon I've only played about 5% of the Nes library. Watching lets plays on YouTube is obviously not the same as playing them, so I can only use the material I have. However, I'm looking at this in general. A game that receives overall positive praise. A title that usually makes it into a top 10 list. 

If the question was about N64 I would say Mario 64. And I hate that game. But I know what type of legacy it has. 

On 10/20/2021 at 11:09 AM, Andykin Skysk8r said:

I'd be more interesting in knowing the objectively best game to hardcore gamers, completely removing the criteria of mass appeal and commercial success.

Then it's a complete matter of opinion and you might as well ask peoples' favourite games. 

• 1 month later...