IGNORED

Opinions?

Fryer64

The fiance and i had a dog , we have her sister too. So..

Someone let's just say careless (absolutely not me) took and dog got hit by a speeding car. 

It was almost like losing a friend. The injuries were gruesome and I'm still in shock.  After finding her.. well this isn't  a gore post 

It's been pretty sad since she has been gone and the fiance wants another dog. 

Don't know if I'm ready for that.

Anyone ever had thus happen to you? Has been an incredibly sad few weeks. 

Edited by Fryer64
  • Sad 10

Really sorry to hear about this, it's devestating.

I personally wouldn't want to get another animal so soon after the other's death; think about it sort of like dating someone on the rebound. It'd just be trying to fill a void, and I think if there was great attachment towards the pet, there definitely needs to be time to grieve.

With that said, maybe After a few months you can look into getting another animal? Any special occassions? Christmas? Her birthday? 

Administrator · Posted

Sorry to hear about that, I hope you feel better soon.

In these things honest communication are key. Your feelings are valid and if you're not ready to move on, have that conversation. You both need to be ready, or it won't work. As FC said - take the time you need to grieve.

• Like 1

While I think grieving is very important, you also need to set a time limit for yourself, otherwise it can end up where you still don't feel ready after several years, yet she is longing for another fur baby. This could ultimately lead to some tensions in the relationship, I have a friend who ended up losing his relationship because of something like this 

Here's my opinion...make your title in your topic more specific than just "Opinions?". 😛

But back to the regularly scheduled program that is terrible your loss...in fact, I can't even bear to watch the Alvin and the Chipmunks episode where their kitty Cookie Chomper III gets run over 😞   But yes, I'd not only strongly advise an appropriate period of grieving/mourning...but most important of all, DON'T go out of your way to get your successor dog "just like" your recently dearly departed.  Your dog was one of a kind and just like people, can never be replaced and no one of any species will ever be the same.  When ready for your new pet, let that own pet be themselves and create their own happy memories.

Good luck.

• Like 1

In grief, we all deal differently with the aftermath of one’s passing. So I think it might be ok to get another dog for your fiancé, while you can still mourn in your own time of the memories you’ve had with the previous dog. So effectively there is a third option, “both”:

- take time to mourn for the dog, regardless of having a new dog or not.

- buy a new dog to help the fiancé with the healing process.

Ideally, you can both set an agreeable time period for when it might be a suitable time to start looking for a new dog.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:50 PM, Fryer64 said:

Thanks everyone, we sat down and discussed it . She basically wanted the dog to hopefully be less sad about the situation. 

Having gone through a loss of a dog a few years ago, and eventual new dog - a new dog isn't really a substitute for the one you already had a relationship with. And it isn't going to make her feel better about feeling like she failed by letting the dog get hit by a car.

That is all going to take time to mourn and process.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:38 PM, ICrappedMyPants said:

My dog got hit by a garbage truck when I was 4. I never liked any of our dogs as much. I refuse to get a dog to this day. I’ve been scared for life. It’s tough to lose a pet like that.

My first pet was a beagle dog named Misty was also run over right around when I was around that same age.  In games that I can name the characters I name the third female protagonist after her...with the first and second ones after my dearly departed wife Denise and my dearly departed kitty Tweetie respectively.

• Sad 1