IGNORED

Halloween 2021 - What Are You Playing? What Are You Watching?

DoctorEncore

October and, therefore, Halloween are right around the corner, so it's time to start the fall rituals. Let's hit the pumpkin patch, drink some apple cider, and add an eye patch to last year's costume so we don't have to buy a new one. As the leaves change and the temperature drops, it's also the perfect time to fire up some scary movies and wet our pants playing horror games. We all know that @3rdStrongestMole is playing through the original Resident Evil, but what are you playing this year? And, until a dedicated movie thread comes along, what are you watching this year?

Just thinking about the length of my backlog gives me chills, but there are a few horror games I'm specifically looking to play this October.

• Dead Space: This series has always looked intriguing. I'm a big fan of sci-fi horror mash ups dating all the way back to the the original Alien right on up through Event Horizon and Sunshine. With the remake coming in 2022 or 2023, I want to finally experience this series as it was originally made.
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake: I love the corny intro to the original RE on PS, but didn't make it particularly far into that game. RE2 seemed significantly better, but I never quite found time to dive into that one either. My true love for the RE series began with Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast and grew with the RE Remake on Gamecube. I never played 3 or 0 and 4 just wasn't my cup of tea. Still, I'm ready to see how this beloved remake of a beloved game brings the series back to the glory days.

As for movies, my wife and I already have a jump on the holiday. Here's what we've been watching and a couple we will be watching.

• The Nightmare Before Christmas: This is a no-brainer and annual event for our family. I adore the music and love the beautiful visuals. I'll be listening to this soundtrack all month long and probably watching it once or twice more. If you hear me singing "What's This?" in the shower, just move along.
  • Fear Street Trilogy (Netflix): We watched the first movie in the trilogy this past weekend. It's a fun little slasher that wears its influences on its sleeve. The plot is a bit silly and there's an abundance of teenage tropes, but the Scream, Halloween, and other Wes Craven touches blend together nicely. I'm interested to see how the overall story plays out across the next few movies and hope to finish the trilogy this month.
  • Don't Breathe: I've heard a lot of good things about this one and look forward to a watch. I'm not a big fan of home invasion movies (too close to reality, yikes), but I enjoy it when the tables are suddenly turned (a la Hush).
  • Malignant: I hear it's bonkers and sometimes that's all I want.
  • Old: With a filmography that includes The Happening, The Last Airbender, After Earth, and Glass, M. Night Shyamalan may have the worst bottom four of any major director in Hollywood history. Still... He does have The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and The Visit on his resume. Fuck it, let's watch a movie about people getting old on a beach.

So what are you guys playing and watching this Halloween season? What are the underrated gems we should all be putting on our lists?

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3

Probably gonna watch some more MST3K this Halloween. I watched any episodes in a long time, and it will hopefully get me in the mood for the upcoming Turkey Day. I have a list of horror and monster themed episodes that I want to check out.

I don't really play horror games, but maybe this could be the year where I fully play one for the first time. I'm not entirely sure which one to start with though. Oh, and I should probably try to beat Splatterhouse again this year. So many things to do in so little time. At least the candy is a guarantee.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Half way through Fear Street ep 2 right now! The second episode is way better than the first so far. Turning out to be an entertaining slasher though. 

New Halloween movie coming out on the 15th has my attention also.

Still wanting to see Candyman.

And I have set a firm goal to have RE beaten by the end of October... so wish me luck 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jaden said:

Probably gonna watch some more MST3K this Halloween. I watched any episodes in a long time, and it will hopefully get me in the mood for the upcoming Turkey Day. I have a list of horror and monster themed episodes that I want to check out.

I don't really play horror games, but maybe this could be the year where I fully play one for the first time. I'm not entirely sure which one to start with though. Oh, and I should probably try to beat Splatterhouse again this year. So many things to do in so little time. At least the candy is a guarantee.

I watched so much MST3K as a kid, but really haven't ever gone back to it. I know I should, but there's just no time!

I totally forgot about Splatterhouse. I have a TG-16 Mini which has a really good version on there. I'll have to add to the list.

10 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Half way through Fear Street ep 2 right now! The second episode is way better than the first so far. Turning out to be an entertaining slasher though. 

New Halloween movie coming out on the 15th has my attention also.

Still wanting to see Candyman.

And I have set a firm goal to have RE beaten by the end of October... so wish me luck 😂

I'm glad to hear the second episode is better. The first one was serviceable, but a bit too cliche to truly win my favor. As for RE, you got this. Just gotta find all those emblems and keys and push some statues around.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I watched so much MST3K as a kid, but really haven't ever gone back to it. I know I should, but there's just no time!

I totally forgot about Splatterhouse. I have a TG-16 Mini which has a really good version on there. I'll have to add to the list.

I'm glad to hear the second episode is better. The first one was serviceable, but a bit too cliche to truly win my favor. As for RE, you got this. Just gotta find all those emblems and keys and push some statues around.

Episode 2 has a little more story develop and better actors 😂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've got the Shout Factory Halloween set on preorder, and they should arrive well in advance, so I'll be watching those for sure. 

Best Halloween that isn't the original Halloween? Go!

Also, I added Old to my list because, I don't know... Masochism?

Edited by DoctorEncore

Moderator · Posted

I was watching the WNUF Halloween Special the other night which was funny but reminded me why watching the kind of TV it was imitating as a kid was frustrating.

I plan to play through RE2 as well as my fave Halloween homebrews Haunted Halloween ‘85 & ‘86 as well as Spook-o’-tron.

I have a bunch of spooky movies saved in my DVR from past years of Halloween marathons, lots of Vincent Price especially. Probably Hocus Pocus at some point.

Then after Halloween, I’m planning on driving out to this place called Field of Screams which does a Zombie Fun Run.

• Like 2

I usually fire up multiple Castlevania games each October. Diablo 2 is also coming out tomorrow and I'm sure I'm going to get sucked back into that for a while. Hard to believe it's been 20 years...

But I've also got a few games that I want to revisit this next month that kinda fit the theme like Doom Eternal, Dusk, Destroy All Humans!, Ghostbusters (2009) and Thief: The Dark Project.

As for movies, I'm planning to watch The Thing (1982), Pumpkinhead, The Terminator, Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 at very least. Probably a few other classics like Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:
  • Don't Breathe: I've heard a lot of good things about this one and look forward to a watch. I'm not a big fan of home invasion movies (too close to reality, yikes), but I enjoy it when the tables are suddenly turned (a la Hush).

Take my opinions with a grain of salt but I didn't really care for Don't Breathe. I mean, I have to give it props for having at least an interesting twist and it does create a pretty horrible and despicable atmosphere. That said, I found the overall viewing to be just average at best. That said, I'm not all that impressed by "home invasion" or "psycho-slasher" films in general. I also don't much care for "haunting" or "possession" movies either. Just not interesting or at all scary to me. When it comes to horror, I'm very much a "monster movie" guy. I want a cool-looking monster that runs amok or a twisted killer that is clearly inhuman.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Gloves said:

I've got the Shout Factory Halloween set on preorder, and they should arrive well in advance, so I'll be watching those for sure. 

They reissuing?  Glad I sold high.

No specific plans from me.  I don't have the bandwidth/luxury to plan ahead like that.  But I will play my backlog, watch some stuff, and read my books, and they all just happen to have horror elements.

• Like 1

Games, first time

• Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation)
  • Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)
  • Silent Hill 2 Enhanced (PC)
  • Dead Space
  • MediEvil 2 (resume playthrough, Playstation)
  • Illbleed (Dreamcast)
  • D2 (Dreamcast)

Games, played many times

• Castlevania (NES)
  • Castlevania III (NES)
  • Dracula X - Rondo of Blood (PC Engine)
  • Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Genesis)
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Super NES)
  • Splatterhouse (Turbografx-16)
  • Devil's Crush (Turbografx-16)
  • Demon's Souls (PlayStation 3)

It's unlikely I will finish all of the above, but it's my tentative list I want to get to, with priority on the first time games.

Reading, by author

Howard Phillip Lovecraft (short stories and novellas)

• Pickman's Model
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • At the Mountains of Madness
  • The Call of Cthulhu
  • The Dunwich Horror
  • The Whisperer in Darkness
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Arthur Machen

• The White People and Other Weird Stories (collection)

Algernon Blackwood

• Ancient Sorceries and Other Weird Stories (collection)

Edgar Allen Poe

• The Raven
  • The Cask of Amontillado
  • The Tell-Tale Heart

Film

• The Silence of the Lambs
  • Se7en
  • From Hell
Edited by Gentlegamer
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Games: 

-Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered (Switch) - Really need to get back into playing this. I plan on beating it before the new Ghostbusters movie comes out.

-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon )3DS) - Not only have I beaten the American version of the GameCube Luigi's Mansion numerous times over the years, but I beat the Japanese version last week. I plan on getting back to playing the sequel next month, and hopefully beat it.

-Monster Party (NES) - Played this last October, and got stuck on level 6 (Haunted House Maze). Hopefully I can beat it this year.

Movies: 

-Casper - Gonna watch this on VHS, believe it or not.

-Chucky/Child's Play - Got all 7 Chucky movies on Blu-Ray.

-Halloween - Will probably watch the original like I do almost every year. Might watch the new one from 2018 as well.

-It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - Got it on Blu-Ray. Didn't watch it last year, but am definitely watching it this year.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 5:12 PM, Webhead123 said:

Take my opinions with a grain of salt but I didn't really care for Don't Breathe. I mean, I have to give it props for having at least an interesting twist and it does create a pretty horrible and despicable atmosphere. That said, I found the overall viewing to be just average at best. That said, I'm not all that impressed by "home invasion" or "psycho-slasher" films in general. I also don't much care for "haunting" or "possession" movies either. Just not interesting or at all scary to me. When it comes to horror, I'm very much a "monster movie" guy. I want a cool-looking monster that runs amok or a twisted killer that is clearly inhuman.

I watched Don't Breathe just now and I felt the same way. It was fine, but didn't blow me away. It got very repetitive and the stupidity of the characters became tough to ignore, even by horror standards. I also didn't need the perverse twist they threw in there. It didn't add to the story and it wasn't necessary for character development. I'd give it maybe 2.5/4 stars.

No games at this time. The original Knights of the Old Republic is finally coming to the Switch. In November. So I hope to get ready for that. While I hope my current side projects do not become a mess again.

Movie-wise... I was thinking Takashi Miike's Audition. Quentin Terantino loves the 1999 film, but Rob Zombie found it hard to watch. And I have not seen it since my PlayStation Home days. But knowing me, I'll spend my free time watching whatever I end up recording.

And I am hoping to find a way to check out Cyberpunk Red (a 4th edition TRPG that is also the prequel to Cyberpunk 2077). TRPG books like Star Wars: Edge of the Empire will not be republished until Q1 or Q2 2022.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

Halloween 3. Come at me. 

2 hours ago, xcing1030 said:

It’s such a solid film and my fav of series, working on getting 3 of those silver shamrock masks so the kids and I can dress up one year, now that is a spooky goal 

This was when they attempted to turn Halloween into an anthology series right? I've not seen it, but it sounds like a good group watch.

Speaking of anthology type movies, has anyone seen Trick 'r Treat? I've heard it's quite good and it's streaming on HBO Max.

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

This was when they attempted to turn Halloween into an anthology series right? I've not seen it, but it sounds like a good group watch.

Speaking of anthology type movies, has anyone seen Trick 'r Treat? I've heard it's quite good and it's streaming on HBO Max.

That's it, yeah. Has nothing at all to do with Michael Myers. 

• Like 1