IGNORED

Halloween 2021 - What Are You Playing? What Are You Watching?

DoctorEncore

I finished my second horror movie on my list tonight, Onibaba. It’s probably more of a historic drama/fable/horror movie then straight up horror.

Anyway, I loved it and highly recommend it. The directing and cinematography are amazing. It is all shot at one location but never gets dull. Has a great atmospheric soundtrack too.

image.thumb.jpeg.8f4693604123f6ad928e4f6663d6d14e.jpeg

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I happened to watch some stuff this month.

King Kong 76 (not bad)

Silence of the Lambs (had to rewatch after reading the book)

House of Wax Remake (wait, this is the same plot as Tourist Trap...)

Alone in the Dark (the 80s movie, not the Uwe Boll one)

The Films that Made Us Season 3

The Cabin in the Woods (I never get tired of it)

And I played Gargoyle's Quest and crawled through some more Castlevania III.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

LoveAndMonsters_BRD_Front.jpg?fit=1200,1
Love and Monsters (2020)

Shame this came out last year seeing as theaters were closed, well and just the optics of a movie about everyone being bunked down afraid to go outside.  Feels like likeable characters, great creature effects, and a refreshingly heartwarming story would have won audiences over. 

82-827098_vault-boy-fallout-76-clipart.p
Bunkers, giant insects, helper bots, a dog sidekick, this is the best Fallout movie we could hope for.

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

For all the Halloween 3 lovers (AKA @Gloves), check out these mugs. I'm tempted to buy just because of how awesome they are.

https://mondoshop.com/collections/all/products/halloween-iii-season-of-the-witch-tiki-mug

On the TV/movie front, I still haven't gotten around to Old or Let Me In. I have, however, been watching Midnight Mass on Netflix and it is absolutely fantastic. As has been mentioned a couple times in this thread, it's a character-driven slow burn, so you have to be a patient viewer to get the most out of it. If you liked The Haunting of Hill House and how it profiled all the different characters, you will probably also enjoy this. There are a lot of long, beautiful camera shots and interesting monologues. Like I said, really slow, but extremely rewarding. My only complaint so far is

Spoiler

the religious zealot and town Karen named Bev who reminds me a lot of Laurie Metcalf's character from The Mist. I find both of these characters and their ability to command their peers to be a bit unbelievable. This really detracts from the the otherwise very genuine and natural actions and reactions of others. I definitely recommend a watch.

Other than that, I finally started Dead Space. The game seems okay, but I definitely wouldn't call it scary. All of the "scares" are really just jump scares and Isaac has zero personality, so I don't really care if he gets impaled. I do think they could do some truly terrifying things with a modern engine and the general concept, so I'll be keeping an eye out for the remake.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

They're very, very similar, and both really good.  Though you have to wonder why they even bothered with the remake.

The book is great too, and even darker.

Finally got around to watching Let Me In. Loved it. I agree that the remake was unnecessary, but it's hard to argue against having a really, really good English language version. 

I thought Chloe Grace Moretz was fantastic and really elevated the film. The soundtrack also stood out as a real high point for me. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm suddenly looking forward to Matt Reeves' Batman. Maybe he can make sad billionaire interesting again.