IGNORED

Chiptune Bias

T-Pac

My favorite chiptune artists/ artists that feature chiptune cut into dubstep or edm, are Noisestorm, Nitro Fun, Teminite, Danimal Cannon, Tokyo Machine, and Pegboard Nerds, among a few others. I find it to be just some real good and fun dancy music. It's just another facet of electronic music in my eye. If that's something you like, I'm sure there's something chiptune out there for you.

During middle school, I would spend every bus ride home listening to C64 music. I still see a lot of tunes for that platform as being just as good as "real music". Rob Hubbard and Jeroen Tel are two of my favorite composers on there. Rob Hubbard had a lot of classical sounding pieces and used all kinds of crazy effects and changing time signatures. Honestly, listening to this work probably helped me learn a lot about how to compose. And Jeroen Tel is great just for how much funk is in his songs. Thomas Detert also deserves a mention, as he made the 32 minute long theme for Gordian Tomb. And for a while, I considered that to be my favorite piece of video game music ever. I haven't listened to it in a long time though.

• Like 1

Apparently someone made a web based chip tune player. They already have all of the Famicompo nsf files on the site, you can just play them right off the browser:

https://mmontag.github.io/chip-player-js/browse

One of my personal faves is one on FC mini 2 originals called LSI3

Edited by phart010

Moderator · Posted

I had a lot of fun at the beginning of lockdown listening to my chiptune carts while reading.

I have a few friends who also compose some fun stuff and their work really pushes chiptune past it being video game music. I get really excited when my friend Hedonismbit has a virtual show so I can hear some of her new music.

While I haven't listened to any in a while, I actually like listening to chip tunes outside of the game. I also generally like listening to instrumentals though, which I know doesn't work for everyone (some people need to have lyrics in their music to enjoy it, apparently). Some OST's work better than others for casual "listening" but some of them (especially OST's from the 16-bit era and later) can be nearly as good as listening to more conventional instrumental albums.

You just gotta find the right artists. Or maybe go to some live shows. There are a ton of chiptune artists I have thoroughly enjoyed live whom, after checking out their stuff online, didn't do much to me on a casual listen at home.

Here are some examples of some chiptunes-as-music songs that I really like.

I never got into chiptune-inspired electronic music, but actual chiptune is something I really enjoy and can put in my regular playlist.

Some of my favorite artists (NES):

SLiVeR -  Rock-oriented NES chiptune pioneer from early/mid 2000s. I used to even jam his stuff on roadtrips. Still a gem to listen to.

RushJet1 - Great melodies and compositions across different emotions, another longtime favorite.

Dave Harris - Technical prowess, catchy jams, jazz/etc. influence.

Heosphoros - Prog NES metal in its purest form.

Miau - He's a full blown homebrew developer now but I was also a fan of his early NSFs.

FearofDark - Another I've known in the scene, his NES cover of Seal "Kiss from a Rose " is great.

Chibitech - She makes the NES do such wild stuff, like simulating a live EDM show -- all within NES limits.

To name a few.