IGNORED

Is this the least exciting 'new' video game gen?

Nintegageo

Am I the only one who think VR is the future?

Between all of my nephews and neices under 10 years old, NONE, ZERO of them play console games anymore.

They've all abandoned Fortnite for Oculus headsets. They may not be the best on the market, but they've adopted the Nintendo model and made them the easiest to use and hit the sweet spot in price.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

In what way?  Besides the high price it started with.

The price issue was a huge deterrent and put it in a large hole compared to the 360. Multiplayer games generally ran better on 360 versus the PS3. Xbox Live was vastly superior to PS+. PS3 eventually caught up to the 360 in sales, but it took almost the entire generation and was a huge fall in console sales compared to the juggernaut PS2. Go read old gaming articles and look at Sony’s financial results during that time, PS3 was considering a disappointment and that made the hype for PS4 much less than it could have been. Generally, people still look at the 360 as more successful despite Sony making up on the sales front toward the end of the generation. How do I know this? I frequent the most popular forums, Reddit, and discords that talk about these two companies and the general consensus is that yes the 360 lineup limped through the last couple of years of that gen but that it had built a great fan base for the next gen. They screwed it up with pushing Kinect, trying to restrict game sharing, and making an underpowered console with the Xbone. 

In full disclosure, I did not own a 360, but I did own two PS3s.

45 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Between all of my nephews and neices under 10 years old, NONE, ZERO of them play console games anymore.

They've all abandoned Fortnite for Oculus headsets. They may not be the best on the market, but they've adopted the Nintendo model and made them the easiest to use and hit the sweet spot in price.

The reality is that gaming is growing, but console gaming is losing ground to mobile and pc gaming. I agree that VR is the future outside of mobile gaming.

57 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I have 7 nieces and nephews from 11-18 and they all play console games. They all like VR but their main means of gaming is console. 

8 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

In the first year, sure.  But once they dropped the price it took off and eventually beat out the 360 in sales.  Hell, even when you figure in the poor reliability (which was shared with the 360), most people remember the PS3 fondly.  

The 3DS was like this too.  It started off $250 but then Nintendo dropped it fairly soon after to $170...and did that whole Ambassador thing so the $250ers didn't feel ripped off.

54 minutes ago, Estil said:

The 3DS was like this too.  It started off $250 but then Nintendo dropped it fairly soon after to $170...and did that whole Ambassador thing so the $250ers didn't feel ripped off.

The 3DS is actually a pretty good comparison to the PS3.  At the start of the system's life, it seemed like it was going to be a flop compared to the previous generation, but by the end of the consoles life, it was remembered as fondly as the predecessor if not more so.  

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

The 3DS is actually a pretty good comparison to the PS3.  At the start of the system's life, it seemed like it was going to be a flop compared to the previous generation, but by the end of the consoles life, it was remembered as fondly as the predecessor if not more so.  

Yeah; I'd like to someday get one of those Super Card DsTwos (if that's the right word) for my 3DS as well...at least once I'm sure Nintendo has fully retired it.

Just now, Estil said:

Yeah; I'd like to someday get one of those Super Card DsTwos (if that's the right word) for my 3DS as well...at least once I'm sure Nintendo has fully retired it.

I have a feeling that once Nintendo is done supporting the 3DS, we will see a lot more devices similar to that, and probably much better ones too.  

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I have a feeling that once Nintendo is done supporting the 3DS, we will see a lot more devices similar to that, and probably much better ones too.  

Are you sure about that?  Seems like Nintendo is done with making true handhelds and wants to have only the hybrid Switch.

Yah totally 3DS and PS3 are total parallels of the same problem...hardware maker arrogance with price and knowing the crazy numbers safely, confidently they pulled the previous generation.  NIntendo learned that lesson fast not overpricing again, Sony didn't given how the PSP also chugged for a time thinking the price was good coupled with their arrogant view of not going to developers to make games because it's branded playstation they'll come to us. 😄  That's naother issue though.

3DS and PS3 were priced too high.  I didn't feel as much on the 3DS side, I'm an ambassador, and those games (21~) they pushed out really did dull the $80 price cut kick in the teeth a good bit.  PS3 was a joke, the first maybe year at most, I wouldn't even go that far, it didn't have a lot of wow factor games... I mean it was no xbox that lived off Halo for a year almost entirely bad, but it wasn't like WHOA either... the whoa was the god awful price.  I held off, got my PS3 when it was $500, but I didn't do that, it was like $300 with extras as I picked the dead bones of the Circuit City death throws sales. 😄  PS3 was the last system I feel Sony really did right, hardware, damn certain the game library too, controller, blu ray play, it just hit it on point.  PS4 I was let down hard on, thankfully got it in a weird package where I didn't lose selling it off at least, and PS5 I've seen nothing of value I'd waste money on, even if I were given the system (not to say I would on any MS system either.)  Sad thing is the PS4 versions of their exclusives blew, third parties gave up and put all their console stuff on Steam now anyway, and my PC ran it 100% so what's the motivation?  None.  And MS, they've been pushing their exclusives on Windows(they own anyway) already and now Sony is looking to with this generation too.  This is the last useful generation of dedicated consoles at this rate, better off with a PC.  Switch at least does the handheld angle well.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Are you sure about that?  Seems like Nintendo is done with making true handhelds and wants to have only the hybrid Switch.

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying.  I was saying that once the 3DS is no longer officially supported by Nintendo, more companies are likely to try and make their own "Everdrive" like devices for the DS and 3DS, and hopefully once that work better than the current alternatives.  

Just now, TDIRunner said:

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying.  I was saying that once the 3DS is no longer officially supported by Nintendo, more companies are likely to try and make their own "Everdrive" like devices for the DS and 3DS, and hopefully once that work better than the current alternatives.  

So far as I know the Super Card DSTwo (I use that for my regular DS works fine) and it's suppose to also work for 3DS and its games/roms is it not?

I just don't want to risk say, a new update blocking access to things like that, or worse, didn't Nintendo at one point brick 3DS's if they were (online) caught with pirated/fake games?

1 minute ago, Estil said:

So far as I know the Super Card DSTwo (I use that for my regular DS works fine) and it's suppose to also work for 3DS and its games/roms is it not?

I just don't want to risk say, a new update blocking access to things like that, or worse, didn't Nintendo at one point brick 3DS's if they were (online) caught with pirated/fake games?

Honestly, I stopped following them a while back, so maybe there are better models now.  But the early ones (including the one I have) are very hit or miss and have lots of compatibility issues.  As with most of this type of stuff, I prefer to wait until the hardware is no longer supported and we know the final firmware update has occurred.  Then wait for something new that preferably wasn't made in China.  

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Link Between Worlds?  Fire Emblem?  Portable Dragon Quest VIII?

The list of great games on the 3DS is so long. It is probably one of my top handhelds. There's just so many great games on it and remasters. I really enjoyed the 3D thing too but I know a lot weren't a fan of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Estil said:

There has never been an update the community couldn't get past. It happens with every update Nintendo pushes but the homebrew community has a work around in a matter of days at the most. 

The 3DS is wide open for the hackin and there's no reason to really thing it'll ever change. 

Yes there are active working 3DS flash kits, work great too from everything I've read over the last couple years now.  They only curse is the rare once every 12-18mo patch Nintendo gets a bug in their ass about releasing which tends to block/screw partly with those things until their makers update the firmware(or someone makes a hack to deal with it.)

Nintendo nitpicking the DS and moreso 3DS over the years has kept me off using a kit.  I've wanted one, not so much for anything from the actual system, but the emulator array is nuts.  The untapped power of the New3DS/2DS model handheld running a raw emulator leaves lots of room for great possibility there.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:37 PM, Estil said:

There has never been an update the community couldn't get past. It happens with every update Nintendo pushes but the homebrew community has a work around in a matter of days at the most. 

The 3DS is wide open for the hackin and there's no reason to really thing it'll ever change. 

1 hour ago, erac said:

It has a lot of remasters yes, but I don't care for those. I rather play the originals. Like Xenoblade, I played that on the Wii, why would I want a remake on 3ds? I never was much into Zelda or FE, DQ is a remake, and I was already bored of Pokemon main series.

Mario 3d Land, Mario kart 7, Bravely Default & Second, Kid Icarus, SMT 4, Kirby Planet Robot & Triple Deluxe, Tomodachi life, Ever Oasis, Etrian Odyssey series, Monster Hunter Series, Dragon ball Fusions, Project X Zone 1&2, both exclusive River City games.

These are the top layer of the notable titles that aren't Zelda, FE, remakes, and Pokemon. The next layer is even danker. 

• Agree 1