IGNORED

Is this the least exciting 'new' video game gen?

Nintegageo

53 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

No joke - this is the first time I've had a good look at the new XBox console and I legit think it's stunning. 

It's so sleek and minimalist - I love it.

-CasualCart

I still think it looks like a weird office building and the name is really confusing.  But I guess like I always say, video game consoles are like people...it's what's inside that counts! 😄 

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, zeppelin03 said:

I'm happy this is the shift we are seeing. 4k is plenty for a while. Let's get more detail in that time, maybe more npcs in a city, more enemies on screen at once, rays traced.  60 fps as standard would be great.  There are much better uses of the power than trying to get to 8k or even native 4k for every title.

I must have missed that R&C could have ran on a PS4. The only thing I've seen was a Digital Foundry interview with the devs where they explain why a PS5 made the game possible.  

Adding loading screens for the transitions in that game really would have broken the experience in my opinion. 

Here's a great breakdown by the former head of Traveller's Tales (an actual programmer since the 80s) in which he discusses how the "rift" mechanic is not actually that difficult or impressive. He's not criticizing the game and actually praises it quite a bit if you read the comments. He just thinks Sony's marketing regarding the SSD was a bit misleading, if not flat out untrue. It's a great watch.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ratchet-clanks-rifts-could-easily-have-been-done-on-ps3-claims-travellers-tales-founder/

On 9/11/2021 at 4:12 PM, Gloves said:

That's the biggest point though tbh, it's not going to ever be about direct graphics upgrades again, it'll be about more at once, and more quickly, at higher resolutions, with less FPS drop. 

Frankly I'll be glad to see the conversation move away from how many hairs there are in Kratos' beard and over to how many dudes he can take down at once. 

I'm not saying I want crazy graphical updates, although 60fps should absolutely be standard at this point. I want new types of games and more experimentation with genres. We don't really need bigger worlds, but we do need better AI and more interesting character interactions.

As I mentioned previously, I'm not completely negative on this generation. The SSD is a great upgrade and way overdue. More importantly, there is hope for the future due to the very powerful CPUs both companies put in these monstrosities. If you remember, the One/PS4 gen came out of the gate with very weak laptop CPUs and powerful GPUs. CPU limitations became extraordinarily painful for developers as the generation played out, although games still managed to look great due to the GPU.

This time we've got the trifecta: fast CPU, powerful GPU, and advanced SSD. I'm genuinely excited to see what developers come up with when they start pushing that CPU to the max. Unfortunately, we've been stuck in a cross-generational limbo with games that do absolutely nothing to take advantage of the new CPU and very little to flex that new GPU. The only game that looks truly impossible on last gen hardware is Demon's Souls due to the extremely pretty coat of paint it received, however that game can otherwise run on a PS3. Not a single game has pushed the CPU and none will any time soon.

I just can't wait for the old consoles to stop holding us back. It's a shame that it's going to take almost two years after launch for that to happen. THAT is why this is one of the least exciting "next gen" transitions ever.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

The last new generation game that gave me that old challenge feeling was Cuphead. It's art is beautiful, the game is hard enough and has nice controls. I can see it as an SNES game. But, as it has recently been, no replay value.

Other one I like a lot is Fallout 5, I can spend hours organizing and categorizing items just for the sake of doing it. I can almost feel my subconscious working on my problems.

I just have too much old stuff I need to play, I think.  It's hard to get excited about a new game when you've got fifty collecting dust in their cellophane.  That said, I do still get intrigued from time to time.  I like the looks of that Cotton Reboot, and I played the crap out of Axiom Verge 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The Switch and BOtW were the only things Ive been excited about in “new” gaming since the PS2

Same sadly pretty much and that was dumb luck.  Zelda has been so utterly repetitive and stale and with the WiiU being a waste of money POS I almost skipped it. 

I did get it though and went in with low expectations as Skyrim/open world stuff I’m loving at all.  Couldn’t put it down for 50hrs before seeing the end and I stopped myself to try another.  If they’d stupidly hadn’t locked it to one save I’d go back. 

I'm one of the lucky ones to have a PS5 and I rarely even turned it on until I picked up the new Ratchet & Clank. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the only real reasons to own a PS5 at the moment. Thankfully, that might change around the spring when GT7 and other "true next-gen" games hit the shelves.

Even if R&C was technically possible on a PS4 (I'm not technically inclined to argue that), it's just a damn good game and I highly recommend it.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Same sadly pretty much and that was dumb luck.  Zelda has been so utterly repetitive and stale and with the WiiU being a waste of money POS I almost skipped it. 

I did get it though and went in with low expectations as Skyrim/open world stuff I’m loving at all.  Couldn’t put it down for 50hrs before seeing the end and I stopped myself to try another.  If they’d stupidly hadn’t locked it to one save I’d go back. 

Have you tried making another profile on your switch? I admit I was kind of bummed when they did that too, but I suppose that is the new way of things whether or not I like it. Almost every game follows this rule.

7 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Have you tried making another profile on your switch? I admit I was kind of bummed when they did that too, but I suppose that is the new way of things whether or not I like it. Almost every game follows this rule.

Wow, they did that?  That's kind of dumb.  What if more than one person wants to play it from the beginning?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 4:58 AM, Alder said:

I thought Dark Souls did it really well - more powerful enemies, but you carry over your stats and items, so the early game is easy (fun to mow down everything) but the end game is hard. Even going back to the NES, I liked playing the 2nd quest in LoZ. I wish LttP had done the same thing.

The only example of this I can think of that I dislike is Ghosts 'n Goblins, because it's literally just "lol just kidding, do it again" to actually beat the game.

You kidding? The second loop in Ghosts 'n Goblins is much harder than the first, and subsequent loops get even tougher. So it's kind of what you praised Dark Souls for doing.

On 9/11/2021 at 10:06 PM, Gloves said:

I don't think so. There's always the potential for exciting new games and that's what it's all about. Sometimes it's the indie diamond in the rough, others it's a really well polished AAA title, I'm always open to new experiences. 

I'm a little curious, because it's genuinely one of the main reasons why a new video game generation right now probably couldn't be any less interesting to me - 

What new indie diamonds in the rough do you feel the new generation allows for?

You know largely from the main line franchise heavy hitter stuff I kind of agree, largely really, as far as main line dedicated consoles and those that largely creep to PC as well (and a few to Switch.)  More uninspired, just not very exciting.  Some taking dumb new directions with franchises that ruin what good there greatly was and it's a shame.

Yet you get these strange nuggets from even those big studios, maybe even they realize they're being stupid to a point, since they do these amazing works from old franchises.  Square-Enix with that bomb dropper on Actraiser, their octopath style remasters of the old Final Fantasy 1-4(so far 4...you know 5 and 6 are happening.)  Capcom with a new Ghosts n Goblins, ININ with Cotton+Turrican, etc and the list goes on if you dig.  And that's the big boys, large amounts of non-suck but under the radar outside of knowing circles like this from lots of 2nd and 3rd tier developers that may make it to print, or usually digital, depending if like LRG, ININ, etc pick it up.

It's easy to hate on the big press drivel in most cases, but if you look a little more, there's a heap of stuff made with care, great without the best of AAA team visuals, yet have far better and more enriching gameplay and mechanics those eye candy turds lack.  All one has to do is get a GOG and STEAM account, get daily news bits in your box on new releases/sales and it's quite surprising really.

I know I listed a few, and had I more time I'd be all over for instance ININ I noted.  Cotton, Monster Land 4 remaster(plus original), 2 Darius releases, Turrican all from them alone.  Look what LRG has that's not in their feeding frenzy release scheme at best buy or their site.  There are others, and they're physical releases no less too usually in that $20-40 range.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

You kidding? The second loop in Ghosts 'n Goblins is much harder than the first, and subsequent loops get even tougher. So it's kind of what you praised Dark Souls for doing.

There are two points I was trying to make that I think still separate the two:

1. I think forcing the player to do a 2nd loop of the same content in order to win the game is lazy.
  2. Dark Souls lets you carry over stats and items that make the early game easier but the end game harder. It's fun to quickly plow through the early part of the game, one-hitting enemies, etc.

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm a little curious, because it's genuinely one of the main reasons why a new video game generation right now probably couldn't be any less interesting to me - 

What new indie diamonds in the rough do you feel the new generation allows for?

I'm not a game developer so am not qualified to speak to what might excite Devs in the space at this time. 

But you were the person who made the connection between a new console generation and those interesting new indie games, I just want to know what you're basing it on.

My cynical (and as I see it probably also quite realistic) perspective is that most of those games could come out for any platform, and only become "next gen exclusive" because that's going to be the default going forward, essentially forcing fans of those games to buy the new platforms for no good reason at all.

Edited by Sumez

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

But you were the person who made the connection between a new console generation and those interesting new indie games, I just want to know what you're basing it on.

My cynical (and as I see it probably also quite realistic) perspective is that most of those games could come out for any platform, and only become "next gen exclusive" because that's going to be the default going forward, essentially forcing fans of those games to buy the new platforms for no good reason at all.

I know only that the technical possibilities grow with each Gen. It's up to the professionals to find and make use of the new possibilities. 

One example I suppose, top of my head, could be Ray tracing. Not the most exciting "new" (not very) thing certainly, but an example nonetheless. 

Computational power and ease of use of development tools as they evolve can make it easier for devs to create the things in their heads. Broadening the pool with easier access to tools can bring in minds that wouldn't have tried sooner. And of course the excitement inherent in a new toy can draw in yet more eyes. 

All that to say, the possibilities are surely greater than the generation prior. I don't know what exactly might be different personally, but I can always hold excitement to see what people do with it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

All that to say, the possibilities are surely greater than the generation prior. I don't know what exactly might be different personally, but I can always hold excitement to see what people do with it. 

Yep this is my attitude too. Gaming is always evolving and that is exciting to me. The developers will find the way to push the generation.

For those who fear change or new things, don’t worry the old games will still be there and you probably won’t get through them all anyway.

I’m excited to see where we head in the VR space, AR space, more powerful portable gaming with the steam deck and seeing even more realistic graphics.

Also I love the melding of a cinematic experience and gaming. Hollywood has become so boring and repetitive with less risks. Give me something like Horizon or God of War any day. They’re like the Jurassic Park for gaming for me.