IGNORED

Rare Find - how to display?

LutherCola

I happened upon this incredible M29 retail sign some time ago. I have a new game room I'm setting up and would like to display prominently on the main wall, but I'm not sure what the best method might be.

I considered building a shadowbox-like enclosure for it that would protect it from dust and allow me to safely hang it up for displaying and without damaging the actual sign. Anyone done anything like that before, or do you have other suggestions about how to display it carefully?

119710739_10100258309593891_9084821478865229646_n.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 4
  • Love 3

There is no reason to enclose it unless you want to protect it from dust or something.  It's plastic so should be fine.   Put games in and display it. 

You can buy little brackets that go in the slots in the bottom to put it on a peg board or hang it from the ceiling.

aFRCyUz.png

Edited by LaC
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

You don’t think the way they originally intended it to be hung isn’t secure enough? That doesn’t make much sense to me. It sounds like it hangs just like almost any other thing that is designed to be hung on a wall. 

Most standard picture brackets can handle pretty heavy picture frames, that doesn’t look like it’s that heavy and a shadowbox sounds like it would be a huge pain in the ass. 

What is the distance between the slots mold in to the back, and is the wall you’re hanging it on sheet rock, lathe and plaster, wood or cement?

• Like 1

Lac and Wunderful is right, you're wrong in this wanting to entomb it to hang it.  It's well made and will hold up just fine being put in its place as long as the rare hanging frame isn't compromised.  At some rate it crosses into the paranoid OCD barrier if you're that afraid.  If it's such a concern, mount it on a place with something on the ground below it that's super soft so it doesn't get cracked.

I've got a 30 year old SNES hanging sign up, Mario riding Yoshi with his cape on and have had it swinging for a good decade now.  I keep it above my comfy big chair so in the shred of a chance it gave way or more likely the very heavy looped fishing wire somehow gave it wouldn't crack on impact.

10 hours ago, LaC said:

There is no reason to enclose it unless you want to protect it from dust or something.  It's plastic so should be fine.   Put games in and display it. 

You can buy little brackets that go in the slots in the bottom to put it on a peg board or hang it from the ceiling.

aFRCyUz.png

If I could travel back in time, I would buy EVERYTHING in this store.

• Like 1

Ahh the classic kill hitler.  Thing is, if he went, it could have actually been worse depending who would have filled that void.  He was stupid, crazy, and saw conspiracies everywhere, and was a shitty strategist that forced generals into a no win scenario.  Had one Himmler, Borman, etc or one of the field generals been in charge critical errors wouldn't have been made and who knows then. 😕

So I'll just agree with #2 😄

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, LaC said:

Yes there are two main reasons to build a time machine.

#1 kill Hitler

....Then Japan doesn't bomb USA, so USA doesn't take over Japan and turn it into the only Asian first-world country, so they then don't get a massive head start in particular industries like Auto and electronics, and then Nintendo doesn't rise up to make NES games.

Good job, buddy!!! You just killed my hobby.... 😡

20 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

....Then Japan doesn't bomb USA, so USA doesn't take over Japan and turn it into the only Asian first-world country, so they then don't get a massive head start in particular industries like Auto and electronics, and then Nintendo doesn't rise up to make NES games.

Good job, buddy!!! You just killed my hobby.... 😡

Naw, there's always Atari 😛