IGNORED

China Limits Video Games to 3 Hours a Week for Young People

phart010

Reuters:https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-rolls-out-new-rules-minors-online-gaming-xinhua-2021-08-30/

Wallstreet Journal: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/china-sets-new-rules-for-youth-no-more-videogames-during-the-school-week-11630325781

Questions:

1. Obviously seems over reaching for this to be implemented at the government level. Outside of it being a government measure, is a 3 hour limit (for people under 18) a good thing for society?

2. If you were only allowed to play 3 hours a week, do you think you would budget your weekly game time? 

3. What would you be playing?

Edited by phart010

"They limit under-18s to playing for one hour a day - 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. - on only Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, according to the Xinhua state news agency."

It's not even just 3 hours a week but 3 weekend days with 1 hour to play on each. Start a new modern game with a forced tutorial, oh bye bye x-yy minutes of the weekend's daily allowance. Start an online competitive game, oh queue took me x-yy min, oh damn I gotta dip before the match ends. I hope they are not banking on having good eSports teams in the future 🤣

1. Games teach skills that are not apparent to the parents, maybe 1h a day on 3 days can garner some of that but also how will you even like games when you are cut off when things get fun or interesting. Gaming addiction is a real thing but you would do better with rewarding playtime from good behaviour / completed tasks / school success than having a strict limiter on everyone I'd say. I wouldn't call much of China's shenanigans good for their society, maybe it's good for their money making but super bad for their mental health. Probably hard to grow up to be a game fan or maybe you become a true addict as an adult for being limited to a "taste" as a kid. Probably overall bad for China's game development industry, for new talent and current sales.

2. If I could bank the time for the future I might not play on some weeks to get a better session on some others. 1h a day is nothing, I'd be pissed to be forced to adhere to such a short play session by design - of course I have 1h sessions and shorter too but it's really not much to dig deep into anything.

3. I would probably be playing the most critically acclaimed games there are but on the other hand I might feel salty when the sessions are cut short thus diminishing the experience. I would probably never be playing competitive games. It doesn't feel like there'd be much feel good in that kind of system.

Edited by sp1nz
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well for starters Fuck the CCP.  And no this isn't about video games in the slightest actually, but them pulling that mind control crap time and time again.

I would say good luck enforcing it, but the problem is they likely will.  The CCP has an iron grip over a large majority of the population due to party members being everywhere, it could be anyone, and the police are largely/all in line with that as enforcers too.  Online gaming would get easily curtailed, they control their internet hard, but offline play, anyone sees you through a window, they watch, they tattle...even if it can't be proven, just playing the whole salem witch trial angle of screaming GAMER!(WITCH!) is enough to get raided, dragged out, ass kicked in front of your home in public view...and that's if you're lucky.  Odds are they'll take you somewhere for something worse, where if it goes real bad you don't come back for days, weeks... re-education, work camps, etc.

Yet again, tick that onto a list of reasons why the world needs to stand up to these bullies.  They can't realistically do crap outside of their region as while large the navy is weak, their airforce out of the country is crap, so they could be pretty easily isolated and starved out in ways, if the world were willing to stand up, take some (ugh...sad) human loss, and deal with it before it gets worse for not just the world, but their own people.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Well for starters Fuck the CCP.  And no this isn't about video games in the slightest actually, but them pulling that mind control crap time and time again.

I would say good luck enforcing it, but the problem is they likely will.  The CCP has an iron grip over a large majority of the population due to party members being everywhere, it could be anyone, and the police are largely/all in line with that as enforcers too.  Online gaming would get easily curtailed, they control their internet hard, but offline play, anyone sees you through a window, they watch, they tattle...even if it can't be proven, just playing the whole salem witch trial angle of screaming GAMER!(WITCH!) is enough to get raided, dragged out, ass kicked in front of your home in public view...and that's if you're lucky.  Odds are they'll take you somewhere for something worse, where if it goes real bad you don't come back for days, weeks... re-education, work camps, etc.

Yet again, tick that onto a list of reasons why the world needs to stand up to these bullies.  They can't realistically do crap outside of their region as while large the navy is weak, their airforce out of the country is crap, so they could be pretty easily isolated and starved out in ways, if the world were willing to stand up, take some (ugh...sad) human loss, and deal with it before it gets worse for not just the world, but their own people.

😂 what?

I keep up on China probably more closely such a few others here too like fcgamer and optout considering they're impacted by those twits far more being in Taiwan since they're not fans of that island being a country.  I follow the news of what they pull there, and this game this is just another method of how the party there pulls stuff on the population to keep it under control.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The worst part is that here in Canada there are a bunch of fuckwits that think it'd be a grand idea if we were more like the Chinese.  Go figure.

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The worst part is that here in Canada there are a bunch of fuckwits that think it'd be a grand idea if we were more like the Chinese.  Go figure.

Australia was like that too but now China hates us because we called for an investigation into Covid.

Now everyone here has woken up including the politicians. It was worth the few industries they’re trying to hurt us (which I believe found other buyers anyway). They still love our iron ore though.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

@the_wizard_666I've heard something like that before, very very depressing.

Same people think the Soviet Union wasn't that bad.  I'm sorry, my grandfather survived the holodomor.  Don't tell me the Soviets weren't that bad when I'm the descendant of a Soviet genocide survivor.  I'll literally strangle you!

Marxism looks great on paper.  Once it's put into practice however...

55 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Australia was like that too but now China hates us because we called for an investigation into Covid.

Now everyone here has woken up including the politicians. It was worth the few industries they’re trying to hurt us (which I believe found other buyers anyway). They still love our iron ore though.

They hate us for honouring our extradition treaty with the US and for following the rule of law.  One of the few things Trudeau has done right was not cave into China's "hostage diplomacy."

• Wow! 1

3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Same people think the Soviet Union wasn't that bad.  I'm sorry, my grandfather survived the holodomor.  Don't tell me the Soviets weren't that bad when I'm the descendant of a Soviet genocide survivor.  I'll literally strangle you!

Marxism looks great on paper.  Once it's put into practice however...

Yeesh I've heard of that one, the terror famine.  China is just one step south of what the old CCCP was quite proud of under Stalin.  Control, starvation, mass killings, genocide, mind and life control, the works.  Exactly Marxism looks awesome, like some Star Trek utopia where everything in general is supplied for, want isn't needed as everything is there, no one is really over another in practice and profit(money) doesn't exist(in the federation.)  Yeah, it's not...it's basically CCCP of old and now China, and we're only seeing pieces of it due to the buttkissing crap google, youtube, facebook loves to bury and hammer people with if they bring it up.