IGNORED

Music Debate #111: Lil Nas X

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

Events Team · Posted

Meh.  I'll change the station every time.  I prefer Lil Xan.  When it comes to modern rap, I feel too often it falls into two camps.  Mumble rap or Drake clones.  This falls into the latter category. 

After listening to everything provided, his beats and flow all kinda sound the same.  I'll give him props for pushing the queer rap though.  Really a previously untapped market. 

I also think he gets too much credit for the country x rap crossover.  It's really just the one song with Billy Ray Cyrus and it reeks of marketing.   Plus Nelly was doing the same thing more than a decade ago.

Gonna be a tough one to get an accurate reading on. I legitimately know people who were really into him prior to him coming out and/or MONTERO releasing who now act like they never liked him. Or they just don’t like his personality. Either way he pushes peoples’ buttons like no other. EDIT: not saying this is true of everyone who rated him low. Just that it is a factor.

All of that said, it’s an acquired taste. I said 8 because I do like some of his music but I’m always too generous on these things. Old Town Road wasn’t my favorite of his, I liked a few others he put out more. Panini and MONTERO are good. So is INDUSTRY BABY.

Edited by Strange

Hard to give a rating with so little music released. That being said, his 7 EP is a banger with a really cool mix of musical styles. I haven't spent much time with the new singles, but I'll definitely give the new album a spin when it releases.

Also, I love how he constantly antagonizes ignorant and angry people.

• Like 3