IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - F1-Race (Famicom)

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Hello and welcome, my speedy friends!
Come fast for this week we are going to enjoy some lightning blaze action with F1-Race!
Our racers will compete under the following rules:

• Pick skill level 3
  • Play till you run out of time and game over
  • Take your picture at the game over screen
  • If you beat skill level 3 high score, you can take your picture at the title screen with skill level 3 selected.
  • Highest score wins
  • Exploiting coding bugs is forbidden
  • Genre: Racing

Hit the gas, racers!

18_F1_Sage.png.7210e0a4996992cb49697f33e

The contest ends Sunday, 07/25/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Warning: There's a very similarly titled Famicom Disk System game called Grand Prix: F1 Race that I thought we were playing at first. Thank god it's not that. What we're playing is just called F1 Race for anyone looking for the ROM.

• Like 1

You might want to pause the game as soon as time runs out. Otherwise you have like a second to get a picture at the game over screen.

It should also be okay to get a picture at the title screen if you get over 10k since it has separate top scores for each skill level.

Edited by mbd39

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Even beating the first race is a decent challenge.

Skill Level 3 is no joke. I played some yesterday and figured it would be our combined scores for each skill level. But that may have required a lot more time than people have, so I get the choice. 

For anyone who hasnt played this at all, I would recommend playing some on skill levels 1 and 2 first. Really helps to get a feel for mechanics before diving into the skill 3 fire

18 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I mean, come on, blow up on impact, i might just sit this week out in protest, who thought it was a good idea for racing games?

Temper Tantrum GIF by memecandy Temper Tantrum GIF by memecandy Temper Tantrum GIF by memecandy

It wasnt a good idea to have racing games in the contest.  It was a fucking tremendous idea. This takes some practice, but its fun when you get it down. Also, I will officially accept your apology when we play rc pro am 2. Best game on this years schedule 

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, NESfiend said:

It wasnt a good idea to have racing games in the contest.  It was a fucking tremendous idea. This takes some practice, but its fun when you get it down. Also, I will officially accept your apology when we play rc pro am 2. Best game on this years schedule 

if its a racing game, unless it is mario kart, its bad 😒

39 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

if its a racing game, unless it is mario kart, its bad 😒

It truly makes me sad the biggest 64 enthusiast I know would say such a thing. So many of the racers were phenomenal. But, even ignoring the long list, wave race and 1080 were 2 of the best and most iconic releases for that system. Kills me Jeeves!!

Events Helper · Posted
18 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

It truly makes me sad the biggest 64 enthusiast I know would say such a thing. So many of the racers were phenomenal. But, even ignoring the long list, wave race and 1080 were 2 of the best and most iconic releases for that system. Kills me Jeeves!!

Really, I haven't played either!  Im not really big on racing if im honest, although Gran Tursimo, now there is a racing game!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

20210718_200621.jpg

Your screenshot shows a different copyright year and company (and the hi score isn't green for skill 3 - I don't know if that makes a difference).  You might want to see if you can find a different ROM just to be 100% sure you're playing the same game as everyone else.

And as for the game... holy crap skill 3 ain't messin' around!  I just played for about fifteen minutes and I can't even crack the default hi-score.  Me thinks me needs some practice...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Your screenshot shows a different copyright year and company (and the hi score isn't green for skill 3 - I don't know if that makes a difference).  You might want to see if you can find a different ROM just to be 100% sure you're playing the same game as everyone else.

I've also noticed differing colors for same levels depending who's play-through I'm watching.  I certainly haven't gone over the matter with a fine toothed comb or anything, but from what I've seen there haven't seemed to be any differences in level structure or gameplay.  Not knowing what game to play is a bit of a monkey in the cogs.

Events Helper · Posted
6 hours ago, PII said:

I've also noticed differing colors for same levels depending who's play-through I'm watching.  I certainly haven't gone over the matter with a fine toothed comb or anything, but from what I've seen there haven't seemed to be any differences in level structure or gameplay.  Not knowing what game to play is a bit of a monkey in the cogs.

every once in awhile when i would restart track 1, it would be red background instead of blue.........not sure what is up, but ya, maybe its just the rom itself, who really knows, not like i am gonna try super hard on this damned racing game anyways 😛  

23 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

every once in awhile when i would restart track 1, it would be red background instead of blue.........not sure what is up, but ya, maybe its just the rom itself, who really knows, not like i am gonna try super hard on this damned racing game anyways 😛  

The background changes colors for me too. Sometimes its the standard colors, but sometimes its pink or blue. I watched video of a complete playthrough of all 3 skill levels on youtube. I am getting the exact same scores completing each level as the player in the video and almost exact same scores completing skill levels 1 and 2 playing the extra lap(s) on race 5. Havent been able to beat skill level 3.

This was the only rom I could find if memory serves. If someone has a better one, pms welcome 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, NESfiend said:

The background changes colors for me too. Sometimes its the standard colors, but sometimes its pink or blue. I watched video of a complete playthrough of all 3 skill levels on youtube. I am getting the exact same scores completing each level as the player in the video and almost exact same scores completing skill levels 1 and 2. Havent been able to beat skill level 3.

This was the only rom I could find if memory serves. If someone has a better one, pms welcome 

personally, I won't put up a fight about it, i don't think it is that big a deal, no one is putting up monster scores.......yet lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

personally, I won't put up a fight about it, i don't think it is that big a deal, no one is putting up monster scores.......yet lol

We probably need a ruling on this. Sorry to keep bugging you, @BeaIankbut I dont want to play all week and find out my score is no good. @Dr. Morbishas an easy enough road to a regular season victory without me sidelined.