IGNORED

A few general collecting questions (answer if you know any/some)

1. Did ALL ps1 games that were new and sealed have the sticker along the top?

2. Same as first question but in regards to all Xbox platforms and the label being along the side?

3. Did ALL ps2 games come with some sort of security label?

4. Are DS and 3DS case/box dimensions the same exact size or are they slightly different? 

thanks for the help!

36 minutes ago, phart010 said:

What about late release DS games? Some of them came in red cases.. were those red case games the same dimension as black DS cases or were they 3DS dimensions?

Both white and red 3ds cases were the same dimensions. Both black and red DS cases were the same dimensions.

Edited by Aguy

Just now, drxandy said:

There was also ds red box Mario games, and they are indeed the same dimensions as the black boxes

https://www.destructoid.com/ds-lite-drops-to-99-mario-games-get-red-box/amp/

I know, as soon as I posted this I remembered seeing a Mario Kart DS in a red case. I had already edited my post but not quick enough apparently.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
On 7/5/2021 at 5:38 AM, Nes Freak said:

1. yes

2. im not as familiar with xbox  but i think so.

3. yes

4. no.  ds cases are wider than 3ds cases

1 & 3.  No.

Later and alternative print runs did not always have the security sticker.

For example, I know that Atlus did a bunch of later print runs on their PS2 games, that did NOT include the security sticker on the top.  I bought some brand new.  

The same situation exists with some of the PS1 runs (Square Enix comes to mind, but there may be others).

So while most of the original releases for PS1 and PS2 did include the security sticker, some brand new, legit games, did not have them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

1 & 3.  No.

Later and alternative print runs did not always have the security sticker.

For example, I know that Atlus did a bunch of later print runs on their PS2 games, that did NOT include the security sticker on the top.  I bought some brand new.  

The same situation exists with some of the PS1 runs (Square Enix comes to mind, but there may be others).

So while most of the original releases for PS1 and PS2 did include the security sticker, some brand new, legit games, did not have them.

ah ok didnt know that. sorry

Administrator · Posted

no worries! A HUGE majority of the library for both consoles, had the security stickers/seals.  Later print runs and reprints sometimes didn't have them, and by that time most people had already moved on.  The more ya know!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 1:57 PM, TDIRunner said:

Here is an example of some late run PS1 games that are brand new and sealed but with no security label.  Also worth noting that if you open either of these, the back side of the disc would not be black like most other PS1 games.  

20210707_135541.jpg

Interesting, the left one I assume has y seal but the right one also looks shrink wrap? Is that also common for the larger sealed games as pictured on the left?

On 7/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, TDIRunner said:

Here is an example of some late run PS1 games that are brand new and sealed but with no security label.  Also worth noting that if you open either of these, the back side of the disc would not be black like most other PS1 games.  

20210707_135541.jpg

These were made VERY late, like as late 2016 or even 2017. I know I bought a bunch of titles direct from the Squaresoft online store around that time.

I wonder if Sony even manufactured them or if they just gave the secrets to printing PS1 discs to Squaresoft. 

3 minutes ago, phart010 said:

These were made VERY late, like as late 2016 or even 2017. I know I bought a bunch of titles direct from the Squaresoft online store around that time.

I wonder if Sony even manufactured them or if they just gave the secrets to printing PS1 discs to Squaresoft. 

Seriously? PS1 games manufactured and distributed in '16-'17? seems wrong, but I'm only a novice.

5 hours ago, ConsoleCollector88 said:

Seriously? PS1 games manufactured and distributed in '16-'17? seems wrong, but I'm only a novice.

They’re not really being sold through distribution channels. They are sold direct by Square on their website.

Given that the plastic seal is different from the Sony standard and that fact that the discs are silver bottom when all PS1 games were black bottom discs, I question whether Sony actually made these.

It is not unprecedented for the big video game companies (Nintendo, Sony, Sega) to give major publishers permission to manufacture their own games.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony just gave Square the instructions needed to make PS1 games boot up without the use of a mod chip. Then Square could just press their own games even long after Sony stopped manufacturing PS1 games.

Either that, or they bought TONS of copies of these games and had them sitting in storage for decades.

Edited by phart010

On 7/17/2021 at 6:09 PM, phart010 said:

They’re not really being sold through distribution channels. They are sold direct by Square on their website.

Given that the plastic seal is different from the Sony standard and that fact that the discs are silver bottom when all PS1 games were black bottom discs, I question whether Sony actually made these.

It is not unprecedented for the big video game companies (Nintendo, Sony, Sega) to give major publishers permission to manufacture their own games.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony just gave Square the instructions needed to make PS1 games boot up without the use of a mod chip. Then Square could just press their own games even long after Sony stopped manufacturing PS1 games.

Either that, or they bought TONS of copies of these games and had them sitting in storage for decades.

They were/are made in the same factories that made them before, just Sony no longer has nor has stores of the 'black' bottom discs in a number of years, and the requirements for a PS1 game to be on those discs is gone. Square gets them on silver bottoms because that's all there is.  It's the same reason they don't come with the security sticker on them. Sony dropped that as a US requirement for games back in May of 2005 during the PS2 lifespan, and thus anything released after that for any of the North American systems no longer came with the security sticker.

These games have gone 'out of print' and come back later a number of times over the last few years. Square isn't sitting on a factory load, but they're likely not producing more than whatever a minimum run is and hasn't since they began getting them made for their store and do it when they deplete the store quantity and decided if they're going to do another run.