IGNORED

Movie Debate #76: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

The movie feels like it's a little too focused around the long drag up until the twist ending (which only really makes sense if you're somewhat informed about the real world events the movie is set around, too).

It's a satisfying conclusion in this weird, awful way, and definitely fascinating. But I think the best aspects of the movie doesn't come from any of the content that is based around that series of events, but all the little bits about DiCaprio's and Pitt's characters, and the former's struggle with remaining relevant. My favourite part of the whole thing was that segment around the middle, where he's starring in a cameo role of sorts in a western, while struggling with believing in his own skills.

I kind of wish the whole movie would be more centered around that theme, but Tarantino is a guy who makes whatever the hell he feels like making, and it's clear he had an idea from the outset that he wanted to achieve, and I'd rather he sticks to complete creative freedom than what I thinks he should do. 😛 If only because he's one of the only remaining huge names in Hollywood who is still able to even do that.

7/10 - No "Inglourious Basterds", but still good

Edited by Sumez

A lot of people didn’t like this film but I personally loved it. Kill Bill is my favourite of his then this. I loved the slow burn and the ending. I’m interested in a lot of themes explored in this movie so that’s probably why. I’m waiting for a TV upgrade and will watch it again.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

I did really enjoy it but I probably won't watch it again.  Probably goes the same for most of his movies after Pulp Fiction save for Death Proof. 

By definition, I guess it's a 5 because I won't really go out of my way to watch it again.  But it's better than that.  I also want to give it a 7, very good but not quite great.  So I guess in the end it evens out to a 6.

It all comes down to runtime I guess.  My attention span just won't allow for three hours to casually watch Tarantino flicks, let alone the double header Kill Bill or the extended Hateful Eight.  I'll probably never get around to watching that one. 

Oh, and his portrayal of Bruce Lee in this movie rubbed me the wrong way even if it was admittedly funny.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, twiztor said:

i liked it a lot, but i doubt i'll go back to it very often. Tarantino movies (to me) have a lot of replayability, but this felt like an outlier. 

This one I had to watch twice bc I picked it up with no recommendations or prior knowledge of what the movie was going to be about. Needless to say I was shocked by the twist lol

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, glazball said:

This movie is wildly overrated.  QT has forgotten what made his first few movies great.  Won't ever be watching a second time.  4/10

Just wondering where he drops off for you?  I'm probably least interested in rewatching Basterds, Hateful 8, and KB 2.  

I literally just watched this three days ago.

6/10. Not Tarantino's worst movie, but certainly not his best. It's a very long run for a depressingly short slide. It's missing the witty banter that fills his best movies and the film just doesn't have a strong identity. Also, from a filmmaking perspective, when you have two of the biggest stars in Hollywood, I'm not sure that splitting them up for most of the movie really makes sense. And the final scene would be absolutely ripped apart by critics for being nonsensical and gratuitous if it were from any other director.

Overall I enjoyed it, but wouldn't recommend it to very many people. The high RT score from professional critics is not surprising considering the subject matter and self-congratulatory nature of Hollywood, but even the audience score at 70% seems like a bit much. 

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1