IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Battle City (Famicom)!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Hello and welcome ladies and gentlemen!
Are you all READY? I hope you are, for this week we are PLAYING WITH TANKS!

Let's watch our skilled combatants tackle a very fun Famicom game this time. They better be ready for BATTLE CITY!

The rules are pretty simple this time around:

• Play till stage 51 or till game over, whichever happens first
  • Take your picture at the very start of stage 51 or at the high score screen if you game over
  • Highest score wins
  • In case of a stage 51 tie, remaining lives will define the winner
  • Genre: Arcade

16_Battle_City_Sage.png.eccaa8a8a7170963

Tank on, players!

The contest ends Sunday, 07/04/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2

Man, I loooooove this game!  I've never made it to Stage 51 on 1 player before, on account of it being ten times harder without a second player to guard the base, but this week should be a dandy!

Reserved for score...

SCORE EDIT #1 - Man, I am real rusty.  You leave your base unprotected for 30 seconds... I think I was at around Stage 10: 52,800

SCORE EDIT #2 - Gettin' better.  Made it to Stage 26, so half way to 51 anyway: 139,800

BC2.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Krunch said:

No World Games score?

Yeah I just decided to skip World Games because it's not really my thing. I'm gonna try not to skip anything else this season.

I hope I do well enough at Double Dragon to make up for it.

11 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah I just decided to skip World Games because it's not really my thing. I'm gonna try not to skip anything else this season.

I'm in the same boat.  I just didn't find the time to familiarize myself with the controls and I wasn't motivate either.  But yeah, I don't want to miss any more either if I can help it.

RESERVED FOR MY SCOREBOARD.

Events Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I either couldnt find a rom for this or the one(s) I found werent compatible with my flash cart. If someone were to PM me with a link, Id be very grateful.

Check the multi games roms.
This game is a staple in the older ones.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I take it this means your DD skill is on par with your tetris and marble madness expertise? Maybe it is good Im going to be trial buried that week. Probably just get my ass kicked anyhow.

I could never beat that boss with the gun. The very concept of one guy on the whole game getting a machine gun when everyone else fights ninja style always made my blood boil. But that gripe aside, one of the best games and series of all time. I could lose sleep debating about which is better, dd1 or dd2

4 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Combat is fun.
Warlords is fun.
This sadistic fusion of Combat and Warlords is ... not for me.

But my personal goal was to beat the default high-score, so at least I accomplished that much haha.

-CasualCart

742155437_CasualCartBattleCity21000.jpg.642a0b1d33f15a3f455e7c62a5e7fa26.jpg

I like this game but it's a textbook example of "harder than it looks."

I don't like the instant game overs though.

Graphics Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I like this game but it's a textbook example of "harder than it looks."

I don't like the instant game overs though.

For sure - I was pumped to get this one when I stocked-up on Famicom carts for the contest season, and I didn't expect the gameplay to be so brutal haha. A typical dichotomy in arcade-style games like this.

It's definitely growing on me, though.

-CasualCart

Glad I finally got it fired up and got to try it. Ive never been good at these top down tanks games. One of my few bad events on wii play. Respect them though. They are generally lots of fun and the capture the flag concept of this one is definitely intriguing. Travelling for a week or so, but maybe I catch a break and get to play around with it some more. 

20210630_184213.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Well this game is hard as shit. Glad I finally got it fired up and got to try it. Ive never been good at these top down tanks games. One of my few bad events on wii play. Respect them though. They are generally lots of fun and the capture the flag concept of this one is definitely intriguing. Travelling for a week or so, but maybe I catch a break and get to play around with it some more. 

20210629_230847.jpg

Yeah, the issue is that the game really is built for 2-player co-op, so having to try and "do it all" for a contest like this is really tough... I am digging the challenge, though...

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@BeaIank

Can we get a sneak peak at the dr mario rules? Wondering if they will be evil...

I ain't got them yet. Last several weeks have been hell.
I was to record something for @Crabmaster2000 but just couldn't find time to do it. I am not even practising SFV to keep competing due to the lack of time.
I've been making stuff on the spot for rules.

• Love 1