IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - World Games!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen... it is time for... SPORTS!!!
This will be a week full of sporting and stuff as our sportants sport through WORLD GAMES!

Here's the rules they will follow while sporting!

• Play all the events and get your high scores
  • Then go to "See all the world records" and take your picture there
  • Give yourself 1 point per world record you break.
  • At the end of the week, I will extra points to the world records per event, with the best world record for each event being worth 5 points, second best 4 points, 3rd best 3 points. For ties, every world record will be worth 1 point.
  • You get 0 points for an event that you don't break the world record.
  • The bonus exploit on caber toss is not allowed
  • The player with the best sum of world records points win.
  • Genre: Sports

Keep on sporting!

15_World_Games_Sage.png.2eff0cb763ef52ed

The contest ends Sunday, 06/27/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1st 0xDEAFC0DE 23 points (8 R, 1 1st record, 1 2nd record, 6 ties)
2nd the_wizard_666 23 points (8 R, 1 1st record, 1 3rd record, 5 ties)
2nd Dr. Morbis 23 points (8 R, 1 2nd record, 1 3rd record, 6 ties)
4th Krunch 11 points (8 R, 3 ties)
5th NESfiend 9 points (8 R, 1 tie)
6th PII 7 points (7 R)
7th Jeevan 2 points (2 R)

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I haven't played this game in a long time, but don't you always get the gold medal if you're playing a 1 player game by yourself?  Regardless, this should be a fun week.  Anyone can pull off an amazing score in a single event, but having to string together eight in a row will not be easy...

That is correct, if you don't fault at any of the games.
I will change so that world records will be what counts.

Edit: Amended the rules.

The biggest problem is that you could just replay events individually until the world record scores are achieved.  What's to stop someone from playing until they get great scores on each event, and just running through the events once to get the gold medals.  I think the best way to go would simply be to forego the full game entirely, and just make it an amalgamation of the best world records.  This may require a bit more keeping track of on the player's part (even so far as having multiple shots of the records screen in order to facilitate updates to individual event scores).  To my knowledge, there is no way to ensure that all records were achieved on the same run.

Note that each event likely also has a hard cap as to a possible score, and some, with practice, will be reasonably easy to attain.  As much as I love the game, I don't know how well this is gonna work as a competition title.

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

What's to stop someone from playing until they get great scores on each event, and just running through the events once to get the gold medals.

Free time. That is what is stopping people from doing that.
Someone would need to have a lot of free time to master all the events in the game to max out all the world records.

50 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Free time. That is what is stopping people from doing that.
Someone would need to have a lot of free time to master all the events in the game to max out all the world records.

To be clear we have to do all of these in one run? I ask because I've not played the game but I'm assuming if you played all the events multiple times through, your best score from all rounds appear on the WR screen? So, after each round of all events, we need to restart the NES/emulator?

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

To be clear we have to do all of these in one run? I ask because I've not played the game but I'm assuming if you played all the events multiple times through, your best score from all rounds appear on the WR screen? So, after each round of all events, we need to restart the NES/emulator?

No need to do all of these in one run.
If you got the time and will to grind the score, go for it.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

In that case, is it allowable to select "compete in some events" to try the same event over and over, or do we have to run through all the events every time?

I ain't got no way to tell if you picked either or, so I removed the rule for selecting "select compete in all events" thingy.

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I ain't got no way to tell if you picked either or, so I removed the rule for selecting "select compete in all events" thingy.

Bitch slap them and tell them they have to record it all!!!!

JK that is more work for you.

So what time do we start on World Games?  I don't want to start too early to count 😛

Also, a few tips discovered today which will apply to the top scores:

Weight lifting - The total is a cumulative score, with the best score from the Snatch and the best from Clean & Jerk added together.  You get three tries on each, but only the top two scores count.  This makes a functional max of 450 pounds, but I've only pulled off a 225lb lift once, in practice mode.  Better to do a smaller score on each and work up than to go balls deep right away.  Get the timing down first.

Slalom - The accepted score is the last successful run, not the best run.  So it's better to fault if you can't beat a previous time.

Bull Riding - Same flaw as with Slalom, as the last score achieved is the one that's kept, not the best.  I scored 80 points on one attempt, and 40 on the next, and the 40 was the one that stood.  So if you get a good score on the first attempt, just intentionally fail the rest rather than risk replacing it with a lower score.

Now, for events requiring foot speed: Barrel jumping requires you to go quickly with the rhythm.  The caber toss however is entirely based on rhythm.  So you absolutely CANNOT use the same tactics to beat them both.

And don't ask me shit about log rolling - I don't think I've ever managed a win on that one.  Like at all. 

@BeaIank Do you still want us to take a picture at the final score screen?  Because you have that rule still posted, but accomplishing that is simply a matter of not faulting on any of the 8 events for 8 golds, so you're just going to get a ton of needless 8-gold-pics that are identical outside of the entry name.  I suggest just having us take one picture solely of the World Record screen and then you can tally up points based on how we all performed on each individual event...

Ok, here's some tough scores to shoot for.

image.png.4ff4d72ee047777c9971ed39133c8aea.png

I'm pretty sure weight lifting, barrel jumping, cliff diving, bull riding, and caber toss are at there max. Sumo is at or at least close to max (I'm not sure what max is). Slalom and log rolling I haven't practiced at all yet.

I have gotten really good at spelling my name (but I really wish it was only one letter).

^Wow!  Thats a strong start

I think it’s really cool how we are comparing event scores amongst ourselves for bonus points, neat ruleset.   I wonder, if people tie for max in an event, would it split the 12 podium bonus points for that event among each winner?  like 3 winners get +4 each, or 4 winners get +3 each.  12 winners, +1 each?

2 winners I guess you would only somehow split the 9 and leave the remaining 3 for 3rd placer?  +4.5 apiece might look janky but is still slightly better than say both taking the +4 reward, and it’s being issued for a better communal performance among winners.  The half point implies that both contenders rose to the highest level compared to the regular where someone just wins. But then there’s half-points…which can be annoying, but maybe compatible here since the real score is the events sum total? Anyway I’m only just querying now while it’s still early.  I wanna crack into this one.  Looks good.  Love the choices for all the event themes already

Strong start?  So many max scores is just plain crazy, especially right off the hop like that.  I'm not even sure how one would achieve scores like that in most cases.  Sumo seems like a crapshoot, as does bull riding (I've ridden Earthquake to scores in the 30s but got 80+ on Ferdinand, which makes zero sense).  The caber toss I've managed 27'11" and thought that was pretty much the upper limit until seeing that screenshot.  Slalom is definitely beatable, but it's a tricky course so a perfect run may be near impossible to achieve.

8 WR

wg.thumb.jpg.babd32e8be67eebf6a40cd6bc99cde37.jpg

Scores speak for themselves.  I'd have kept going on bull riding and possibly tried for a better slalom score, but I'm sick AF and haven't got out of bed in two days except to take this picture. 

Placeholder image until my phone charges and I can take a proper photo, but I figured I'd put my scores up for posterity. 

EDIT: For the record, this post is gonna be for my final submission.  I'm just keeping the scoreboard updated via screenshots due to being a pain in the arse to take photos of it each time I make an update.  Once I've got the scores where I feel comfortable with it, I'll take a proper photo.  It's just easier this way than to keep taking pictures, uploading to Google, downloading to my PC and then posting in the thread for every minor event update 😛

Edited by the_wizard_666

Known maximum scores:

Weight Lifting: 450kg
Barrel Jumping: 19 (although whether this is actually achievable is unknown, you can only select up to 19 barrels)
Cliff Diving: 99/100 (seems like it'd be a score out of 100, but whether it's possible to hit that third digit is unknown)
Slalom Skiing: Unknown, likely in the high 30s or low 40s though.
Log Rolling: Unknown
Bull Riding: Unknown, possibly 100
Caber Toss: Unknown, but apparently it's possible to throw it almost 50 feet
Sumo Wrestling: Unknown

Also, after achieving a world record score in log rolling and having it not count, I figured I'll list the games that will take your last score and not your best one:
Slalom Skiing; Log Rolling; Bull Riding
If you achieve a record score on any of these events, fault out of any remaining runs so you don't lose it.

@the_wizard_666 I think it's gotta be that Deaf peeked at the code before starting.  I'm not trying to out him or anything it just seems obvious to me based on other contest - for this type of game, that's a solid approach and if I had understanding of code I'd do it to at least determine the number progression of it. 

I haven't played yet, but to me, the events that still have a mysterious maximum seem to also have big skill gaps.  If everyone can nail maxes in just a few of the more static categories, I think it could result in a tight standard deviation in the top 8.  This week is some kinda meta shit, like playing 8 games inside 1 game but with smaller podiums for each of 'em

-edited out the pre- rule change math

It's like a simulator of nations battling to hog Olympic medals, with the top spots more lock-y feeling and the 2nd rate countries scrambling around the tighter spread - very thematic!!!

Edited by Krunch

@KrunchI don't doubt it, but even so, knowing how to do it and executing it are two different things.  It's why I had to switch to a joystick to pull off log rolling, because even though I know it's rapid lefts and rights, I just can't pull it off with a d-pad.  It's also why @Dr. Morbishas difficulty with the caber toss.  I'd definitely like to know what the code says about execution so I could close the gap on the caber toss a bit, and I'm definitely looking to improve on my weight lifting score, but I'm not too worried about most of the rest - they're either random luck based or they're more or less as good as it gets anyway.

Also, I gotta say I love this pick for the competition.  I'm a huge fan of the game (rented the shit out of it back in the day - yay nostalgia!), so it's nice to see it represented.  That said, I'm not sure how well it works as a competition game going forward due to how many of the max scores are either easy to achieve or get close to with minimal effort.  But oddball choices like this are what I love about the weekly contest thread - it's a reason to play games that are not being played otherwise.  And in a library of well over 700 games in the US alone, there's no reason to resort to the same games every time 😛

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Also, I gotta say I love this pick for the competition.  I'm a huge fan of the game (rented the shit out of it back in the day - yay nostalgia!), so it's nice to see it represented. 

I freaking love this game too, so I had to pick it.
It will def go for growing pains for sure on the contest, but it had to be tested and may return in the future.

• Like 1

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

@KrunchI don't doubt it, but even so, knowing how to do it and executing it are two different things.  It's why I had to switch to a joystick to pull off log rolling, because even though I know it's rapid lefts and rights, I just can't pull it off with a d-pad.  It's also why @Dr. Morbishas difficulty with the caber toss.  I'd definitely like to know what the code says about execution so I could close the gap on the caber toss a bit, and I'm definitely looking to improve on my weight lifting score, but I'm not too worried about most of the rest - they're either random luck based or they're more or less as good as it gets anyway.

Also, I gotta say I love this pick for the competition.  I'm a huge fan of the game (rented the shit out of it back in the day - yay nostalgia!), so it's nice to see it represented.  That said, I'm not sure how well it works as a competition game going forward due to how many of the max scores are either easy to achieve or get close to with minimal effort.  But oddball choices like this are what I love about the weekly contest thread - it's a reason to play games that are not being played otherwise.  And in a library of well over 700 games in the US alone, there's no reason to resort to the same games every time 😛

Totally!  I think it's an awesome choice too.  I wonder was it ever even played in the contest's history?  I couldn't quickly find the archives.  Maybe attempted in the earliest days of it?  Anyway you're right and that's what will save it - is knowing and pulling it off is two things, even for the more "solvable" ones.  A wide contest podium of 8 players, and wisely selected as a summer game (not just for theme - less of a crowd).

Sometimes it's gotta be a learning process when a really fresh game like this comes up, they're often oddball cause if they weren't they'd have been picked already.  The best result is surely when a creative ruleset creates a tremendous competition for a fresh game, but either way we all come out with a great collective understanding of the fine points of it.   Truly, in today's collecting scope a 700some-game library can seem sort of modest at a far glance... until you start actually trying to complete and refine them ⛰️