IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - World Games!

BeaIank

Oh, I completely misread that. I guess I never did explain it. TL;DR take your first step immediately after hitting A.

You get bonus points for the amount of time you go before throwing. Normally, if you go 31 steps you can't really change how long it takes because going faster or slower would cause the caber to fall. This is how you get to 46'11". The bonus points start awarding as soon as you press A to start your attempt, however as long as you don't take a step the caber doesn't move. So, you can just wait there to rack up the bonus points. The bonus points get awarded 1 foot every 256 frames. You can actually go over 99' and the code does not clamp the value, but when it reads it back it will zero out any number with a corrupted digit, so 99' is the highest score that will show on the WR screen. The easiest way to get to 99' is to press A then wait 22,224 frames (6:09.85) before taking the first step and then throw the caber as soon as you step down. This gives you about 2 seconds of wiggle room either side to hit 99' exactly. And yes I really did this three times in a row when that was the rule (I would just watch Youtube on my other monitor while waiting for a timer to go off).

• Like 1

No wonder I couldn't figure it out 😛  That also explains how I didn't always get the bare minimum score (11'11") every time I did that.  I obviously didn't wait for an overdump, but occasionally I waited a few seconds before tossing.  I did find that taking the step and waiting for the caber to lean forward before hitting A would usually gain an extra foot or two, but when you take your 31st step you don't have any real leeway as the caber is already as far forward as it can be without falling.  Definitely interesting, but yeah, not something that should be considered for a legitimate score.

8WR

This game is a blast!  Real cool.  Still struggling on the cliff dive I didn’t really see anyone talk about it, I’m missing out on style points mostly it seems Forgot that diving requires depth.  Here’s an 8WR update with a few other things better than my last one too

36BDCCEA-7CE8-42BA-9149-78D97C95A231.jpeg

Edited by Krunch

39 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Also, do all scores have to be on one screen?

I would say no because OxDEAFCODE put up a different screenshot for his Caber Toss and neither Bea nor anyone else said anything against it.  I'm also going to put up a second screenshot with an improved score in one event, so we'll leave it up to Bea to decide if all the second photos count or will be disqualified...

Also, regarding your wtf, the bull you're riding trumps the score you receive, so a score on Earthquake (or whatever the best bull's name is) should obviously be waited far more heavily than any sort of score on Ferdinand).

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Okay, here's my submission for this week: 8 WR's, 6 of which are maxed out (I just cannot figure out for the life of me how to max out Sumo Wrestling...)

@BeaIank I have also included a second picture with a better Slalom score.  I assume this is allowed because 0xDEAFCODE posted a second picture with a revised Caber Toss score.  If our second pictures are not allowed, feel free to disregard my (and his) secondary photos.

WG Score 1.JPG

WG Score 1a.JPG

• Wow! 1

51 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Also, regarding your wtf, the bull you're riding trumps the score you receive, so a score on Earthquake (or whatever the best bull's name is) should obviously be waited far more heavily than any sort of score on Ferdinand).

I actually don't think that's exactly what's going on. Looking through the code a little bit, it stores the high score in two places. One is what is uses to display all the high scores, the other is what it uses to check if you've beaten a high score. For some reason it's possible to corrupt the ones digit of the score it checks against. I wasn't able to figure out what causes the corruption, but I'm guessing it might be getting a high score in a different event. Anyway the result is sometimes it confuses what the actual world record's one digit is causing you to replace your score with a lower one, or not accept a higher score.

12 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I actually don't think that's exactly what's going on. Looking through the code a little bit, it stores the high score in two places. One is what is uses to display all the high scores, the other is what it uses to check if you've beaten a high score. For some reason it's possible to corrupt the ones digit of the score it checks against. I wasn't able to figure out what causes the corruption, but I'm guessing it might be getting a high score in a different event. Anyway the result is sometimes it confuses what the actual world record's one digit is causing you to replace your score with a lower one, or not accept a higher score.

That would explain why my multiple 182's in Sumo Wrestling would not ever override the 181 I have posted for that event.  I didn't really care because it was only 1 point, but if it had been way more...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That would explain why my multiple 182's in Sumo Wrestling would not ever override the 181 I have posted for that event.  I didn't really care because it was only 1 point, but if it had been way more...

One of my earlier sumo runs was 1 point less and got counted as WR. I beat them both anyway.

I also got glitch locked on the caber toss at some point and had to close out, it let me do infinte runs and the top bar where contestant name is was glitchin.  No biggie, I had taken an insurance pic after getting the 15 barrels and was pretty short on improvement opportunities

I got the max bull ride pretty quickly, seems to be that it’s probably a predetermined path, and you get higher score based on how many changes you have to do, and you gotta be in synch. Here’s the rub: seems if the bull’s path doesn’t have many changes, it’s not gonna be a high score no matter what.  I figure since Earthquake can move the fastest he got highest chance at 99, and that’s how I got it, thoughts anyone?  Is that what that 15 point deviation is showing?  

50 minutes ago, Krunch said:

One of my earlier sumo runs was 1 point less and got counted as WR. I beat them both anyway.

I also got glitch locked on the caber toss at some point and had to close out, it let me do infinte runs and the top bar where contestant name is was glitchin.  No biggie, I had taken an insurance pic after getting the 15 barrels and was pretty short on improvement opportunities

I wouldn't have worried too much about the glitch because you could always just take a second pic with other events, if need be.  Since some of the people on emulators like @the_wizard_666 are having their scores saved on power-down so that they can just pick up where they left off all week, I figure it's only fair to have a level playing field for all competitors by letting everyone else do the same.  I guess we'll leave it up to @BeaIank to chime in on that 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis

@Dr. Morbis yeah I had kinda thought that then but then was just like meh I already exceeded my expectations on it.  Just started the game at like noon today and wrapped up by 6, few breaks between.  Few maxes, not bad.

I had a good time playing this.  Knowing what we know now seems like the fix for a future WG contest is just doing all-event runs, and resetting the NES between em.  Level the playing field, same score system, would be much more pressure, makes even the maxlock events a question mark, and really is more analogous to the brutality level of other contests. 

Edited by Krunch

2 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I'll post my findings on all the events sometime tomorrow. But, since you brought it up, bull riding score doesn't have anything to do with how many changes. It's which bull you start out with combined with how accurately you follow the pattern.

Interesting and is it only possible to get 99 with Earthquake or can other bulls do it too?

2 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Interesting and is it only possible to get 99 with Earthquake or can other bulls do it too?

Oh yeah, I forgot that a completely random bonus between 0-15 also gets added on too.

A perfect score with Earthquake will get you 96 before the random bonus, so there's a 13/16 chance you get at least 3 points to hit the perfect score. A perfect score with Tornado (or which ever one is one step down), will get you 88 points. So you need an 11 or higher which is a 5/16 chance. It's not possible with any other bull. I figured it wouldn't be that much harder to achieve a perfect run with Earthquake, and the 13/16 instead of a 5/16 chance would be worth the extra effort.

6 minutes ago, Krunch said:

@Dr. Morbis

I had a good time playing this.  Knowing what we know now seems like the fix for a future WG contest is just doing all-event runs, and resetting the NES between em.  Level the playing field, same score system, would be much more pressure, makes even the maxlock events a question mark, and really is more analogous to the brutality level of other contests. 

Yeah, I really like the game and I'm going to challenge Wiz in person next time he's over.  Even knowing everything we know now, it's still a matter of having to execute in the crunch - er, KRUNCH - knowing that you only have so many chances.  I personally think for internet compos like this though, "Slalom Only" is the only fair way to go, because it's just way too easy for people to alter particular event scores before they take their photos; not saying anyone would, but yeah, someone would...

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

ince some of the people on emulators like @the_wizard_666 are having their scores saved on power-down so that they can just pick up where they left off all week, I figure it's only fair to have a level playing field for all competitors by letting everyone else do the same.  I guess we'll leave it up to @BeaIank to chime in on that 🙂

I will take posts with several pictures of their best records, no issue.
It fairer that way.
I will post the final standings during the day today.
Last night was a mess. Bad things happened that messed me up badly.

• Sad 3

• The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit delayed, but as promised here's my findings.

Weight Lifting: This ones fairly easy. I just figured it out with save states. I remember timing it by how many times the dude opens his mouth.

Barrel Jumping: The main thing is you want to hit max speed right as you jump as late as possible. To do this press the final left/right at the same time as the jump button. I used frame advance to confirm that the max is 15, but I think there is some wriggle room so you don't have to be perfect to get 15.

Cliff Diving: The key to this one is that the water level needs to be at the highest point when entering the water. I usually waited a little bit past where it hits the minimum on the mini map. After that you just hit down as early as possible and left as late as possible. I think both are frame perfect, but it doesn't take too long to do if you have good visual cues.

Slalom Skiing: Git Gud

Log Rolling: To win this one fast, you have to be going as fast as possible in the other direction from the computer. The computer almost always seems to go forward, so I double hit A to start going backwards. After that just spam left/right as fast as possible.

Bull Riding: I explained a bit above. If I remember correctly, the first bull has a bonus of 16 points and every bull up adds 8 points for a max of 48 for Earthquake. Then how well you do is determined by a counter that counts down every X frames that you are pressing the wrong direction (X depends on the bull, I forget if it's just one frame for Earthquake or what). The counter starts at 8 and goes down from there. Weirdly you can survive with negative points (not sure how that works), but the final count gets clamped between 0 and 3 and then multiplied by 16 for the score (so 3 gives a max bonus of 48). These two scores get added up and then as mentioned above a random number between 0-15 gets added, because of brilliant game design. The final score gets clamped to 99 if you go over. (Maybe it was because I was using a laggy emulator, but to get this one I had to guess when the bull was going to change direction and hoped to get lucky that it wouldn't change much. I think there are patterns to how the bull moves, but I didn't bother investigating further).

Caber Toss: I already explained this one.

Sumo Wrestling: So, the dumbest thing about this one is to start you have to hit A twice to ready up yourself and the computer. But for every frame between the you being ready and the computer being ready (which is the same as the distance between your two A presses), you lose one point. I assume that's just bad programming and the game thinks you two are touching which is supposed to be the thing the loses you one point per frame. Anyway, once the match starts you want to go right just short of the computer, press A to lower, and press down to throw the computer. You lose as the match goes on, so you want to be as quick as possible. Also I think different ways of winning give different amounts of bonuses, but down throw gives the max. You'll need a bit of luck from the AI so that it doesn't run away or standstill when you are waiting for the throw. The best I achieved with frame advance was 195, but that requires hitting A for one frame, nothing for 1 frame, and then A again to start, as well as throwing as soon as possible with a cooperative AI.