IGNORED

Actors who you think should have been (bigger) stars?

G-type

58 minutes ago, RH said:

Viggo Mortensen: I mean, he was the lead in Hidalgo, but nothing else he's made really stands out. He was such a strong front warrior/hero in LOTR, it just felt like he could have become a major player for another 10 years.  Nope.

Viggo is AMAZING in both Green Book and Captain Fantastic which are fairly recent movies. Really proves both his worth and versatility. Good call.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Sumez said:

Viggo is AMAZING in both Green Book and Captain Fantastic which are fairly recent movies. Really proves both his worth and versatility. Good call.

...and Eastern Promises, and History of Violence, and The Road.

He's a very established actor.  But just not much of a blockbuster guy.

• Like 3

Heres a few that come to mind easily...

Johnny Lee Miller should have come out of Hackers being a bigger star than Angelina Jolie.

Bronson Pinchot should have been huge, but after Risky Business there was a couple of sitcoms and his small roles in the Beverly Hills Cop trilogy.  BTW I love the Bronson Pinchot Project!

Cary Elwes is a great actor mostly known for his role as Russ Wheeler in Days of Thunder.

Sam Neill from Jurassic Park fame should have had more love.

John Goodman can do it all and should be ranked much higher.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I never realized that he couldnt turn his head properly.  Thats funny!  Keaton was the best Batman tho, followed by Val Kilmer.  The new Batmans are trash.  I cant stand Batman trying to make his voice as deep as possible when he talks.

I gotta admit I do struggle to think of a good Batman. But I haven't seen Affleck's, I heard those movies are ass anyway 😄

But I thought Christian Bale did make a very good Bruce Wayne.

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Cary Elwes is a great actor mostly known for his role as Russ Wheeler in Days of Thunder.

He is definitely mostly known for being Westley.

And Sam Neill is another respected thespian who just happened to be in a blockbuster.  He's been super active for decades.

• Like 2

In the "with commentary" version of the Matrix Carrie Anne Moss said that the Matrix ruined her career.  Any time someone has a role that epic that introduces their name/face to the world at large it is a career ender because the character is so iconic that everyone will always see them as that character first, ever after.

Bruce Campbell oozed far too much charisma to be lumped in with all those A-listers.  And that chin is ri-dong-culous.  It's like a prop-chin.  Same with Kyle McLachlan, view it in profile; it's doesn't look real....

Tim Meadows was a chronically underrated SNL cast member who studied under Phil Hartman and developed a comparable degree of perfection in timing and delivery           and subtlety....  ..another career killer..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fox said:

Rick moranis’ wife died so he left Hollywood to raise his kid.  He pops up now and then for voice work or in his friends projects.

I thought his wife died and that was why.  I was a bit to lazy to look it up to be sure.  Still, he just dropped off of the face of the planet, practically, and I hated that.

8 minutes ago, fox said:

The Rocketeer seemed like a good leading man but never did anything after did he?

THAT is a good one.  He had a pretty strong 90s look too.

Here's another one, Brendan Frasier.  He stared in the The Mummy and subsequent sequels but didn't do much beyond that.  Kids movies don't count, and you can forgive a budding actor for wanting work and being cast in Encino Man.  Checking IMDB, is does look like he's stayed busy, but I've not heard or seen much of that stuff from the past 15 years.  Maybe I'm wrong and he' just acting in film I'm not at all interested in or on sources I pay attention to (meaning anything on cable.)

1 hour ago, RH said:

Viggo Mortensen: I mean, he was the lead in Hidalgo, but nothing else he's made really stands out. He was such a strong front warrior/hero in LOTR, it just felt like he could have become a major player for another 10 years.  Nope.

Orlando Bloom: Ok, I'm not saying I'm a fan but he also had that pretty-boy look that seemed like it could have sold more than a few movies.  What has he done since LOTR?  Married Katy Perry and beat up Justin Beiber?  I mean, we remember that but that's not film.  Again, I'm not really a fan but he seemed like an obvious choice as an actor that would have spring-boarded his career into major stardom after LOTR.

Rick Moranis:  Before their was Ben Folds, the king of nerds was Rick.  He had a super-successful career and then, boom, he disappeared. From what I've read from interviews, he was never around his kids and just decided to cash out while he was on top and simply become a family man.  I respect that.  Still, I miss the guy and wish he had a fuller carrier and maybe even tried his hand at a few serious roles and made a transition like Tom Hanks.  I think he could have had the chops for it.

Viggo -- has a TON of stuff that he is in.  Before LoTR it's mostly character work, but he is a super-badass in Eastern Promises.

Orlando Bloom -- really?  isn't he in a half-dozen Pirates of the Caribbean movies? (along with being the face of a bunch of rom-coms)

Rick Moranis -- his story is much sadder than just wanting more family time -- I had read that he stepped back from acting because his wife was very sick and died, and he needed to take care of his family.

Edited by arch_8ngel

38 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

In what circles is Cary Elwes known for Days of Thunder rather than Princess Bride (or even Robinhood Men in Tights :P)

Though for the younger crowd, they might know him as the creepy step dad in Liar Liar.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Viggo -- has a TON of stuff that he is in.  Before LoTR it's mostly character work, but he is a super-badass in Eastern Promises.

Orlando Bloom -- really?  isn't he in a half-dozen Pirates of the Caribbean movies? (along with being the face of a bunch of rom-coms)

Rick Moranis -- his story is much sadder than just wanting more family time -- I had read that he stepped back from acting because his wife was very sick and died, and he needed to take care of his family.

Viggo - You can be in a bunch of stuff and it not be notable.  Maybe it is and I missed it.  He just felt like he could have been BIG

Bloom - Ok, I'll say that's a good call.  I think I forgot about it, because every time I see Depp doing anything now, it makes me hate him all the more.  I think by proxy I'd forgotten about those films and, yes, they are awesome.  At least the first was, and the second was "pretty good" on the Reid-Scale.

Edited by RH

17 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

In what circles is Cary Elwes known for Days of Thunder rather than Princess Bride (or even Robinhood Men in Tights :P)

Though for the younger crowd, they might know him as the creepy step dad in Liar Liar.

In my circles hes knows for Days of Thunder and Twister.  Jesus, that makes me sound like white trash...

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

In my circles hes knows for Days of Thunder and Twister.  Jesus, that makes me sound like white trash...

He was in twister?  The only thing I remember from that movie is Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt tying themselves to a pipe with a leather belt.  Oh, and the little transmitters getting sucked out of the back of the truck.

And I'll level with you - I never saw Days of Thunder until I was in college, so for me that movie was more like a NASCAR-branded version of Top Gun by the time I saw it, rather than something of its own.  Cary Elwes makes a great antagonist though.

• Like 1