IGNORED

Silverspoon Fridays #2: Tecmo Bowl (NES) or Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

SilverspoonGaming

Which game would you choose?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you choose?

• Tecmo Bowl (NES)
    • Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

Situation: Youre stranded in a log cabin far from anyone with no lines of communication available. You have electricity, a tv, and a video game console, and the choice of one of two video games to pass the weekend before Monday hits and you can go back to civilization. Which of the following two games do you choose to spend your next two days playing?

Tecmo Bowl - NES

Tecmo Super Bowl - NES

I have a feeling that this poll isnt going to be as lopsided as some might think.  I believe there are alot of sports game haters here that prefer the more arcade feeling of the first game over the more simulation style of the second.  With that said, TSB is my all time favorite game, and I play it all the time to this day, so its an easy pick for me.  I have spent many 24 hour periods playing TSB to death.

I think this will be the most lopsided poll you've ever made.  I've been playing Tecmo Super Bowl for thirty years and will continue to play it for another 30.  It's better than Tecmo Bowl in every concievable way.  Don't get me wrong, the first TB is a great game, but TSB's release instantly made it entirely moot.  Especially given your "pass the weekend"  proposal, which game has a season mode to play through 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I think this will be the most lopsided poll you've ever made.  I've been playing Tecmo Super Bowl for thirty years and will continue to play it for another 30.  It's better than Tecmo Bowl in every concievable way.  Don't get me wrong, the first TB is a great game, but TSB's release instantly made it entirely moot.  Especially given your "pass the weekend"  proposal, which game has a season mode to play through 😉

all of this.

The only reason I picked Tecmo Bowl is that I truly have only played TSB one or two times over 30 years ago.  I remember it being a lot of fun, but I have to get a copy sometime so I can truly appreciate it for what its worth.  So, default choice is TB since I have Tecmo Bowl and recently beat the game with Da Bears (No Bengals in the first game), so I had been playing a lot of it lately and it truly is a great game.

However, I plan to get a copy of Tecmo Super right before the NFL season starts this year...I have been saying that for the last five NFL seasons, but this year...this is the year!  😄

Real team names, a full eleven men on the field, more plays, more realistic gameplay. There's a reason tournaments use TSB to this day and why they hack the game to reflect current teams and cities.

Tecmo Bowl is fine, maybe even the second best football game on the system (though the competition is pretty weak), but its successor really took it to another level entirely.

16 minutes ago, fox said:

NFL Blitz

Piggybacking off of my former comment, I'm going to say this is the only answer.  Admittedly, I haven't played Blitz, but I remember it and I've been wanting to get a copy an to play this one.  It always seemed like the NBA Jam of Football.  I never liked basketball games either, but the cheezy, over-the-top nature of NBAJ made it fun and a favorite sports game of mine.

• Wow! 1

I gotta be honest, I've spent a fair amount of time with Tecmo Bowl and the SNES version of Tecmo Super Bowl...but I bet I've never even finished a full game of Super Bowl on the NES. So, I voted Tecmo Bowl out of sheer ignorance but I can't imagine the two would be that drastically different to a sports-layperson like me.

"I don't know anything about sports! I'm a fuckin' NERD!" - James

Tecmo Super Bowl of course.

One thing that doesn't help Tecmo Bowl's legacy is that the Virtual Console and NES Classic use the Famicom version with the later unbalanced rosters rather the NES version rosters that the game was designed around.  And since the names are stripped out most people don't even know, they just wonder why when they play as the Cowboys Hershel Walker is a slow white guy.

9 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Didnt think Id hear that statement in my lifetime...

If anyone is wondering, Hershel Walker is with the Vikings in the FC version and he was replaced with Daryl Johnston on the Cowboys.  Also Bo Jackson has an even faster speed attribute in the FC version.

7 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

The one with this:

The Legend of 'Tecmo Super Bowl' - The Ringer

But seriously, has anyone played the SNES Tecmo Super Bowl? It's the Super Tennis of Tecmo Bowl games. It's great.

I cant play the SNES version.  Its graphic style just irritates me.  The Genesis version is the best version of TSB that you can play.