IGNORED

Game Debate #52: Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Astral Chain
    • Splatoon
    • Ring Fit Adventure
    • Snipperclips
    • Nintendo Land

Administrator · Posted

I gave it an 8/10.  It is a really fun and interesting game! I love the art style, and it's a unique game for DS.  I quite enjoyed it when I first played it many years ago.  

It is a different type of puzzle / story type game, that I found very charming and fun.  I definitely would recommend it.

Just one of many games that I think I might be really into, but have yet to try. Some day I'll get to it.

Every time I take a trip, I bring a handful of portable games I want to try out, but I always end up spending the whole plane ride playing some version of Picross.

• Haha 1

I have no idea why I even bought this game around when it came out but I'm glad it did.  For those who have heard of the series but never played  it, they took the idea of a brain teaser game and simply made point-and-click story out of it.  It also has FMV cut scenes and for what it is, the studio did a great job of making an engaging, quaint atmosphere.  I gave this game an 8 but it was in that 8 to 9 range.

It was a really fun mystery/puzzle game.  There may be others outside of the series, but this one did it so well, I really, really loved the experience.  I'm not saying this is for everyone, but if you get a chance to give it a try, I kind of feel you should.   You're kind of missing out on a potential awesome opportunity if you let this one sit idle on your shelf.

1 minute ago, cj_robot said:

Just one of many games that I think I might be really into, but have yet to try. Some day I'll get to it.

Every time I take a trip, I bring a handful of portable games I want to try out, but I always end up spending the whole plane ride playing some version of Picross.

Yes, I'd say this is an excellent game for a long plane trip.  Especially between the US and Europe. 

• Thanks 1

Meh, I like the atmosphere, as much of the story that did unfold for me, and the general design concept of the game, but often I found the deeper you went the more irritating and illogically weird the puzzles got to where it was an utter turn off and ended up just cheating and using a faq on enough of them I never bothered with the sequels.

• Like 1

Incredibly fun puzzle game. I love this series. To me this is exactly the type of game that was built for the DS. Layton games just have so much charm, they took me back to being a kid again. On top of that the puzzles were mostly fun. Some were repetitive but I loved solving them and seeing what would pop up next. This one in particular is my favorite and is the only one in the series I've played multiple times. It's just such a fun game and series that I really cannot recommend it enough to puzzle game enthusiasts. 9/10

Edited by AstralSoul

This one, and the others in the series, don't  really fit the rating system for me. Really love the puzzles, but quickly tire of the stories and repetetive wandering around looking for puzzles. Also, as much as I enjoy solving them, the puzzles have no replay value. Finally decided on a 6, but its more like 8 the first time thru and 3 or 4 afterward.

XT0kccH.png

I kinda enjoyed my time while playing it, but it's hard for me to really give it any merit, objectively.

A friend of mine put it better than I could have - "My issue with Layton aren't that it's a bunch of math homework. It's that it's a bunch of like, grade 4 math homework"

It's an interesting pastime, and the style and mood of it is very cute and likable. But a the end of the day, all of the puzzles are just busywork, and never like really interesting mindbenders along the lines of what you'd see in quality games like The Witness, Baba Is You, Stephen's Sausage Roll, and, honestly, tons of other puzzle games. It feels like they exist mostly to pad the game.

If I'm ever going to have solve another Tower of Hanoi in one more video game, that one is going right back on the shelf.

6/10

• The title was changed to Game Debate #52: Professor Layton and the Curious Village