IGNORED

Can anyone provide price check (or estimate) on some of my vintage items?

I realize that identifying a specific price tag for vintage video game items is difficult, but wondering if some seasoned vets could provide me with a ballpark amount I should expect, as I may be listing a few items on eBay (or here).

1. Toys R Us (Limited Edition) Gold N64 (w/ 2 controllers)
    Like New (never used, but box has been worn over the years)
  2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (CIB)
  3. AVE 3rd-party NES Games (loose, but some with manuals)
    Condition varies, and not sure if this is even a full set

I realize WataGames is the new standard for grading, but I'm happy with the VGA cases and grades, so I'm not budging on having them cracked open and re-graded. IF a buyer wishes to do so, that's on them.

Please keep in mind, I purchased these eons ago, and know their worth to a certain extent. I haven't collected in a decade or so, and with COVID-19 and struggles, may be selling off some.

Edited by fiercefoxx
Price checks no longer needed

3 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

You have a million dollars worth of games...if they had Wata cases on them. But they don't, so your collection is worthless.

Yup you add that WATA shadiness and you can just add those missing couple zeros to the value right then and there. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/28/2021 at 9:10 AM, Tanooki said:

Yup you add that WATA shadiness and you can just add those missing couple zeros to the value right then and there. 😉

I realize you guys are joking, but in all seriousness, I have no clue about WATA games. I just know that every graded game these days is by them. Can you expand? I've been out of the community for nearly a decade.

Regardless, any actual input is appreciated. I know the SMB are in excellent condition, regardless of the VGA grading. My guess is around $15,000 for the set? I realize I could be way off, but just guessing here.

Edited by fiercefoxx

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, fiercefoxx said:

Photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/FtJ0cPi

I realize you guys are joking, but in all seriousness, I have no clue about WATA games. I just know that every graded game these days is by them. Can you expand? I've been out of the community for nearly a decade.

Regardless, any actual input is appreciated. I know the SMB are in excellent condition, regardless of the VGA grading.

VGA is fine, people still buy them. As far as value on these goes I am no expert so will defer to others.

10 minutes ago, fiercefoxx said:

Regardless, any actual input is appreciated. I know the SMB are in excellent condition, regardless of the VGA grading. My guess is around $15,000 for the set? I realize I could be way off, but just guessing here.

WATA is an interesting and unique bird that is 100% not above board in how they handle their practices, but some don't care because their methods allow for even higher profits because of a collaboration they have.  That collaboration is with Heritage Auctions, and the not above board, is the fact that shareholders/owners whatever you care to call them work for BOTH.  They have this nice racket where you can send a game in for a grade for a series of fees, then when done, if it's good enough (or not I suspect still) they'll pitch you to use their own broker HA, to put it up for sale for maximum profit because their buyer base are the 6+ figures types with deep pockets and are hard up into collectible investment.  So if someone does this, then round 2 of fees for the auction and then if it wins they get the usual broker fees and the rest on top.  So it's in their self interest to rate stuff exceptionally well, then have their own partner company peddle them for the highest values possible, so that those people with hands in both cookie jars get paid at least TWICE on your item.  It's a nice little thing probably if someone put the effort into it, got some evidence, they could turn them into the US govt for some sort of potential crimes around financial manipulation for profit off victims backs.

And one added level of shade to be clear, usually with investment collectibles you're allowed to see a collated history of said products in general if not on or near the same grade and they're called pop/population reports.  WATA seems to be suspiciously not into that, and instead will just pull some magic number out of their ass and hopes some sucker sets a new high value for said product which is pretty ratty.

Basically the joke is that your VGA games if you assume as I saw on SMB was worth 15K, if it had a same style equal grade from WATA in the box would net you far far more money if you peddled it trough Heritage Auctions instead of like ebay, here, etc.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fiercefoxx said:

I realize you guys are joking, but in all seriousness, I have no clue about WATA games. I just know that every graded game these days is by them. Can you expand?

Regardless, any actual input is appreciated. I know the SMB are in excellent condition, regardless of the VGA grading.

There are all types of collectors around here and the reason why some are being cynical is because when it comes to graded games and getting the most value for your game, Wata as a company has done a lot to... exploit the collector community and market.

I'll spare the details but, in short, if you want to get the most for your graded games (like these, anyway) the best place to sell them is on HeritageAuctions.com.  However, HA and Wata are in bed with each other, so Heritage Auctions will not sell VGA graded games.

This wouldn't be that big of a deal since good money can still be made off of eBay, or some gaming forums with direct sales, however, the BIG money often comes from ignorant, investor collectors who are mostly buying through HA because most of those high dollar collectors were first in comic book and maybe old ball card collecting, and were already buying through HA.

So, people are slightly bitter.  GoCollect (another company in bed with Wata) exploited the collector community (again, long story) worked with Wata to corner a market where Wata is required to get the best sale, and those of us who enjoy collecting for the sake of collecting are now stuck with both a collection that, sure, is worth decent money but it also means that many of the staples we've been casually collecting are priced out of our price range because of "investor" collectors.

This is a very TL;DR explanation of why  trying to give you a price isn't straight forward and a bit nuanced.  The old pros around here will say that the best thing to do is buy the game and not the grade (@jonebone is one of those guys who can agree with this) and I very much agree with that sentiment.

However, if you picked those games up years ago, got out of the collecting scene and now want to get top dollar, I'd simply contact HA, speak to them, ship them the games AS-IS and they will help you get them Wata graded and listed on their site.

Again, many of us collectors are a little jaded about how and why things have changed in the past couple of years, but I can't fault you for wanting to get top dollar for something you might no longer care to own.

And to be clear, there is nothing wrong with VGA and between the two grading houses, I think the people around here like them better.  There grades are more stringent.  However, if you are simply looking to maximize your profits with those games, going the route of through Wata to get to HA might be your best bet.  It will be  time consuming, but that might be the way to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seriously @fiercefoxx read both RH and my post, that'll cover all your needs and probably answer most your questions if not entirely.  Between both it's a solid breakdown.

And I like jonebone feel the same too as RH pointed out.  And while I dislike VGA since they have(had) their own hiccups with stuff, at least they never went to this level of garbage so they're the lesser notably of two evils.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Seriously @fiercefoxx read both RH and my post, that'll cover all your needs and probably answer most your questions if not entirely.  Between both it's a solid breakdown.

And I like jonebone feel the same too as RH pointed out.  And while I dislike VGA since they have(had) their own hiccups with stuff, at least they never went to this level of garbage so they're the lesser notably of two evils.

I was about to respond and say the same thing you said in paragraph one of the quote.  OP should consider both cases.  Again, the market is the market, I'm not fond of Wata/GoCollect/Heritage Auctions, but for the guy on the side line just wanting to sell some games and maybe pay off his house, go the profitable route, even if the companies are shady.

Regarding @Tanooki's second paragraph, this is true about VGA.  Graded games is a bit of a hot topic around here.  Some people have always loved them.  For me, I've liked to have just a select few graded games.  Those were the ones I could afford, in good condition and meant a lot to me as a kid.  These are the exceptional few games that I want to own a cartridge of, plus a nice shelf piece.

Others simply love having big, graded collections while others think the whole thing is "stupid" and "games are meant to be played".

When picking a grading house, you have to consider your personal desires.  If you just want a nice, fairly graded game without any (or much) shadiness, then VGA is 100% the way to go.  They were never originally a game grader (they do cards and comic books) and though I think their grading standards are more consistent than WATA, they have no reason to exploit the grading system.  They do what they do, and they try to be fair and they are thus tougher graders.  A quality, VGA graded game is truly going to be top-shelf.

Wata, however, is for pure profiteering.  I will admit I like their packaging better and it's definitely nice to see that "9.8" badge that would have been a 90+ equivalent on VGA, but giving them business is simply feeding that beast.

So, again, it's up to you.  You're not buying, you're selling.  Are you a collector and support the market, while wanting to make decent money on these games?  Just put these up on eBay and be done with it.  Are you a "filthy lucre" (hey, I can be from time to time, so I can be in that boat) then reach out to HA and talk to them about the lot you have. I'm sure they will gladly take your wares and do the best to exploit the ignorant investor-collector market, and you'll definitely get the best dollar for these games.

• Like 2

Yeah like he said, I'm not a big fan of graded but I get the necessity WHEN and only IF that entity is an honest broker, this I feel WATA is entirely not.  They're very much in it for manipulation and double profit, spamming their scam across cable tv networks (pawn stars-history channel) and beyond.  They have a far more vested interest in being more shady because it means more cash, so they can gin up stuff, ignore population reports, and go hog wild because HA has an established base of very high rollers who already love them from their more on the level work with cards, comics, historical items, etc.  But with Gaming HA-WATA are running a potential scam, they can't back up their sales records because they make up values for the items with no historical basis, including ignoring sold comparable values from VGA or other lesser known but established graders who edge a little into gaming too.

If you must grade to keep, use VGA.  If you want to maximize your profit because of that kind of system in place WATA uses with Heritage, do that.  The other choice, ask some really well trustworthy people here.  Get a feel for what it should VGA/WATA grade for -- pop that on ebay, in the description say as much it 'should' grade as this due to getting it examined by knowledgable gaming people who grade goods and leave it up to the buyer to ignore that, or take it into account and let them go hog wild.  The 13% ebay takes now being managed will be notably less than dealing with HA as they'll take a minimum of like 20% + depending in the end...plus the nasty costs of re-grading from WATA too.  You're already VGA graded (for fierce fox) so that's a consideration.

1 hour ago, fiercefoxx said:

Prices have gone crazy, I thInk 15 be too low. I think if you've hung on to them this long you should go for top dollar even if that means regrading with wata and selling with ha. The time you spend researching this will make it worth your while absolutely. 

Edited by drxandy

Thanks so much for the explanation regarding WATA and its practices. What an absolute shame.

It's sad that many believe the best way to maximize profit is to reach out to what appears to be a corrupt organization trying to double dip. I'm stunned that HA has such a vast following, as you've all alluded to.

I'm 100% torn with how to handle these games. I'll likely keep them for the time being, as I'm not eager to sell the SMB collection, as the ultimate goal was to display them in a future mancave. Due to serious relationship building, COVID, and such, extra cash would go a long way, but I'm not about to sell them through a corrupt company for it to be simply an investment. I'd want a collector who plans to hold long term to end up with the trio.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Prices have gone crazy, I thInk 15 be too low. I think if you've hung on to them this long you should go for top dollar even if that means regrading with wata and selling with ha. The time you spend researching this will make it worth your while absolutely. 

Thanks for the input. I'll begin my research into WATA games over the next couple weeks and decide. For now, I'm okay holding them, but if they would net me absurd amounts, I'd rather just sell -- especially if WATA keeps up its shady practices (further hurting the value of NES collectibles).

Also, LOVE the avatar. One of my favorite shooters!

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, fiercefoxx said:

Thanks for the input. I'll begin my research into WATA games over the next couple weeks and decide. For now, I'm okay holding them, but if they would net me absurd amounts, I'd rather just sell -- especially if WATA keeps up its shady practices (further hurting the value of NES collectibles).

Also, LOVE the avatar. One of my favorite shooters!

Get on Heritage Auctions site and search wata Mario nes. That 85+ would likely be a 9.4-9.6 wata. You are likely looking at a realized price north of 75k just for that one game alone.

I wouldn't say HA/WATA are "corrupt", exactly. Just standard-issue late capitalism shady. Happy to do whatever gets them the most money and forget about anything else.

But yeah, if you actually care about game collecting as you say, you might feel best hanging on to them. If you sell them through HA - or honestly, if you sell them anywhere at all right now, since SMB has a lot of buzz - chances are high they will go to an investor who doesn't care that much about games per se, or a fractional ownership group or something.

BTW, I'm no expert on NES games, but AFAIK your copies are all less-desirable (later) prints, which hurts the value a bit. But they're in very good shape, which helps it.

Gulag there maybe right.  As shady as all get out what WATA does with HA's help, HA on the side has been reputable for years within those other collectible markets including historical items I mentioned so this is kind of a sour one.  You'll get the most out of them, but if you consider it as such, the cost of doing business with the devil to some who really can't stand them for those practices.  But in the end it's money, and if you want the most, odds are, it's them.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:19 PM, fiercefoxx said:

Your estimate of $15,000 is way way too low in today's market prices (if you listed all 3 of them as a BIN on Ebay for $15,000, they would be bought within seconds of your listings). Even though, they are later prints (your super Mario bros white seal, is the earlier and rarer white seal of the 3 white oval seals that exist) and although, they are slabbed in 'VGA' cases, they are premium grades. Anything Mario is on fire these days! I would put the value of them at around the following if you sold them on Ebay right now.

Nes Super Mario Bros VGA 85+ $50,000 and possibly higher

Nes Super Mario Bros 2 VGA 85+ $15,000 to $20,000 and possibly higher

Nes Super Mario 3 VGA 85 $15,000 to $20,000 and possibly higher

I am basing my prices based on a combination of Ebay completed auctions and Heritage House completed auctions and the 'current' on fire video game hobby, which seems like prices continue to go higher and higher with each passing day/auction.

Like others have said, if you want to maximize your money, you will have to re-slab them with WATA and sell then through Heritage House Auctions (But Goldin Auctions is entering the hobby soon and they will be accepting VGA graded games).

Anyways, you own 3 grails that are very sought after by collectors and their values continue to go up. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but you definitely got a small fortune on your hands!!

• Like 3

Congrats to the OP for a fine graded Mario subset!

Though reading through some of the posts here, it makes me freakin sad the hobby has come to this kind of situation. Where the price is dependent on the grading company and not the actual game or its condition.

• Like 2