IGNORED

Anyone here into Lunar Silver Star/Eternal Blue? Now at start of Disc 2 on both...but can't get Silver Star one to work...

Estil

Haven't played it yet but would like to very much.  When I compared the two side by side I found the look of the Sega CD version to be a lot more charming and intriguing even though the PS1 version is certainly technically better looking.  It just felt more authentic to me.  Anyway, that's my two Pesos.

9 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Looks like they’re not too terrible.  A couple years ago you could snag one for like $15.  Cool extra to have.  Too bad they never made that Alex one.  Sure would like a pair.

Oh?  I haven't looked in at least 5 years or so, and back then they were riding a notably higher price I wasn't thrilled with and that's on loose, a boxed or better(new) was over 100.  I do remember that, sucks they didn't do Alex, kind of defeated the point of a punch puppet without a sparring partner.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 10:17 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Don’t know about the differences between the 2 versions but I played them both on PSX and it was an absolutely fantastic RPG experience.  Graphically very 16 bit but the cut scenes are pretty good. Great story and I never felt like it got bogged down.

I will second this. If you like classic JRPGs like Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger, then these games are right up there.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 9:16 PM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I will second this. If you like classic JRPGs like Final Fantasy XI or Chrono Trigger, then these games are right up there.

I don't do online only games, so I can't do FF11.  I sometimes hear that "J" qualifer with "RPGs"...as if there are other kinds???  I think someone once mentioned CRPGs...what are those, crap RPGs? 😄 

I'm currently working on Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2) so I'll probably do these Lunar ones next...I'm leaning towards doing the PS1 ones because they're nice and bright and colorful...I'm not sure about the Sega CD versions looking much darker AND HOW ALL THE DIALOG IN THE GAME IS IN ALL CAPS AS IF EVERYONE IS YELLING CONSTANTLY!  IT'S LIKE EVERYONE IN THE GAME IS LIKE...

Edited by Estil

5 hours ago, erac said:

Western RPGs are quite different to Japanese-style ones. Most of them are on PC though.

I bet they don't have cute chicks (only main party/playable ones count!!) like JRPGs often do though 😞 

Western RPGs eh?  Are they based on these kind of westerns? 😄 

Edited by Estil

On 5/22/2021 at 10:07 PM, Estil said:

So I just recently found out about the two supposedly classic/legendary RPGs from the Sega CD and I was wondering if anyone here has any expereince with them and if so, given my past RPG preferences, would I probably like these?  And should I do the original Sega CD versions first (I can use the Mega Everdrive Pro) or just forget them and do the PS1 versions (I can use the PSIO equipped PS1)?  Besides the anime cut scenes what other differences are there from SCD vs PS1?

PS: Since these originally came on the Sega CD (and for the PS1 versions on 2-3 discs) and not the regular ol' GEN like the Phantasy Star series, should I expect these to be much bigger in scope?

Hey Estel, it seems you finally got your PSIO up and running.  Were you able to use that HDD with every PS1 game ever?  If so how do the roms work?

I'm not certain a lot will find this worthwhile, but given the terrible prices on stuff now, I found out in the last few days that Lunar Silver Star Story (Sega CD) has a direct port on iOS for $7

Before that the company also did Sega CD's VAY for $0.99 too.  The primary complaint on both games reviews, grossly out of date touch controls on the most modern of updates (previous talk about some crashes with Lunar that appear to have been solved.)

I don't think they were either put on android.

Here's lunar anyway: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lunar-silver-star-story-touch/id492598036

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

Hey Estel, it seems you finally got your PSIO up and running.  Were you able to use that HDD with every PS1 game ever?  If so how do the roms work?

Well I've had it for almost a year now and the way it works is you use a (micro) SD card to hold your games.  I use a 512 GB one.

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

Play the originals first.  Then play the PS1 versions if you really loved them and want to run them again.  Best part about playing on the Sega CD is you can just burn them via a CDR and play.  No copyright protection on Sega CD. 

Actually I use the Mega Everdrive Pro.

Why play the originals first when you have the PS1 versions? I'd really like to know. Normally I'm a proponent of "original versions" of games, just to see where they came from, but the PS1 remakes of these games are done so tastefully that I don't see them doing anything that upsets the balance of the MegaCD ones. With the same logic I'd also say if you have the GBA versions of FF5 or 6, it's a perfectly fine idea to play them before the SNES originals.

8 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Why play the originals first when you have the PS1 versions? I'd really like to know. Normally I'm a proponent of "original versions" of games, just to see where they came from, but the PS1 remakes of these games are done so tastefully that I don't see them doing anything that upsets the balance of the MegaCD ones. With the same logic I'd also say if you have the GBA versions of FF5 or 6, it's a perfectly fine idea to play them before the SNES originals.

I am in fact working on the GBA versions of FF5 & FF6 after I did first the PS1 versions and then the SNES versions.  At least with the GBA versions you get super secret bonus dungeons the SNES/PS1 versions don't have.

10 hours ago, Estil said:

Well I've had it for almost a year now and the way it works is you use a (micro) SD card to hold your games.  I use a 512 GB one.

Ok cool.  So was that HDD full of US PS1 roms ever useful to you?  I assume you are transferring those roms off the HDD onto your SD card.  Just curious.  It was hard to get the full US library onto one HDD.  There are a ton of US PS1 games. 

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

I enjoy playing the originals on original hardware.  I like to see / experience exactly what it would have been like to play the game in the 80s or 90s.

3 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

I enjoy playing the originals on original hardware.  I like to see / experience exactly what it would have been like to play the game in the 80s or 90s.

I do have most of the originals but by risk stratching/'printing discs that can cost upwards of one or two hundred dollars when I don't have to?

3 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

Ok cool.  So was that HDD full of US PS1 roms ever useful to you?  I assume you are transferring those roms off the HDD onto your SD card.  Just curious.  It was hard to get the full US library onto one HDD.  There are a ton of US PS1 games. 

You got it.  I have the whole set backed up onto my laptop as well.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:56 AM, Estil said:

I don't do online only games, so I can't do FF11.

I meant FF6 (FFVI) and Mistyped X instead of V, my bad lol

On 7/6/2021 at 7:56 AM, Estil said:

I sometimes hear that "J" qualifer with "RPGs"...as if there are other kinds???  I think someone once mentioned CRPGs...what are those, crap RPGs? 😄

Playful pedantry semantics aside, the fact that Lunar games hits all of the hallmarks of "standard JRPG" with turn based battles and set party of characters in a linear, progression based story, then I don't know how else you would describe it in one word/acronym 😛

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

On 7/7/2021 at 1:45 AM, Sumez said:

Agree with this. The PS1 version was what I played and to my knowledge is the best version.

YMMV but there are GBA and PSP version which are faithful remakes/rereleases of the game as well.

There is also apparently a PC version released only in Japan and South Korea, which kinda begs the question why we haven't seen a PC/Steam release yet 🤔

Because no one wants to pick it up to pop a translation on it would be my guess, but as to why that is is a mystery.  A digital release would have very little overhead as the work is already basically done for most of it.

And while I agree entirely the PS1 Complete version is best, I think maybe the case I pointed out, laziness and ease of it in your pocket on a device you already have would be a reason to do the old one.  Only costs a few dollars and it's on an iphone, can't get much easier than that.

3 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I meant FF6 (FFVI) and Mistyped X instead of V, my bad lol

Playful pedantry semantics aside, the fact that Lunar games hits all of the hallmarks of "standard JRPG" with turn based battles and set party of characters in a linear, progression based story, then I don't know how else you would describe it in one word/acronym 😛

I guess it just so happens the big three of RPG series (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Tales of) is well, Japanese! 😄   And the "big three" of retro consoles (Nintendo, Sega, Sony)...well wouldn't ya know it those are Japanese too! 😄

I sometimes hear about these supposed "western" RPGs but I don't see anything western about them at all...no cowboys/cowgirls, no horses, no six-shooters, no general stores, no saloons, no pretty saloon girls... 😄 

Edited by Estil

As someone mentioned a PSP version/port, I'd like to point out that it's almost universally simple to jailbreak (install custom firmware on) a PSP, so I'd vote PS1 on the games mentioned as well as anything else you might want to play, just because it's simple to rip the discs then play the images on the PSP wherever and whenever you want.  That's how I completed most of the PS1 RPGs that I owned (and later beat), as I'd forget about the PS1/PS2 for large stretches, but almost always had the PSP in a backpack with me.