IGNORED

Anyone here into Lunar Silver Star/Eternal Blue? Now at start of Disc 2 on both...but can't get Silver Star one to work...

Estil

So I just recently found out about the two supposedly classic/legendary RPGs from the Sega CD and I was wondering if anyone here has any expereince with them and if so, given my past RPG preferences, would I probably like these?  And should I do the original Sega CD versions first (I can use the Mega Everdrive Pro) or just forget them and do the PS1 versions (I can use the PSIO equipped PS1)?  Besides the anime cut scenes what other differences are there from SCD vs PS1?

PS: Since these originally came on the Sega CD (and for the PS1 versions on 2-3 discs) and not the regular ol' GEN like the Phantasy Star series, should I expect these to be much bigger in scope?

Edited by Estil

21 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...also, how is this possible for a big JRPG fan? 😅

I'm not so sure I qualify as a "big" JRPG fan.  I only got into RPGs starting in 2013 so I'd only be a "big" JRPG fan if say, I was doing them right from at least the SNES era when for example, Final Fantasy 4, 6, and Crono Trigger came out.

From my understanding they're really not that different.  But given the capabilities of the Saturn and Sega CD vs the PSX, the Sony one has the definitive 'best' versions of the game which is why they get called 'Complete.'  On Sega they had a version, then did one with some aesthetics upgrades to re-sell it.  The PSX has better hardware than Saturn including transparencies for one, so when they popped it on PSX they boosted the quality and so on.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

From my understanding they're really not that different.  But given the capabilities of the Saturn and Sega CD vs the PSX, the Sony one has the definitive 'best' versions of the game which is why they get called 'Complete.'  On Sega they had a version, then did one with some aesthetics upgrades to re-sell it.  The PSX has better hardware than Saturn including transparencies for one, so when they popped it on PSX they boosted the quality and so on.

I don't have the Saturn remember?

I prefer the Sega CD versions. The 16 bit graphics,  the cool pixel art cut scenes, red book audio soundtrack, and even the overall gameplay I feel make it superior. Now a lot of that perspective may be nostalgia goggles, and don’t get me wrong, the remakes on PlayStation are well worth your attention too. 

The Sega CD uses an all caps, screaming at you, font that’s hard to look at.  I understand there is a fan made patch for that if you are using a flash cart.

Just play both versions 😜

Edited by Jicsan
Can’t speel

9 hours ago, Estil said:

I don't have the Saturn remember?

Yes I do, but you I thought asked which was like best so I wrote that.  I knew you didn't have one.  I haven't had one in like 15 years.  It's a nice, but definitely not great system burdened worse by a somewhat nasty community due in part to the prices even the average games hit now.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yes I do, but you I thought asked which was like best so I wrote that.  I knew you didn't have one.  I haven't had one in like 15 years.  It's a nice, but definitely not great system burdened worse by a somewhat nasty community due in part to the prices even the average games hit now.

I meant what is different about the PS1 version compared to the SCD version.  Like nearly all remakes/ports/whatever there's small changes that were made.  I know there's the anime cutscenes but I was wondering if there were any other changes that were made.

What do you mean by a nasty SCD community? 😞   And yes it's a good thing we have the Mega Everdrive Pro so we don't have to pay those high prices!

Effectively very little, at least of the re-release of Silver Star sTory on the sega format, the early one was of lower quality so they boosted the audio and a few things.  The PS1 has this, but added a few more fluff bits like transparency which Sega can't do.

So in the end, if lesser quality audio/visuals don't bother you, there's really little to care about unless you want that nice boxed set with all the fluffy items.  I have the PS1 one all  nice in the box, sadly I really don't have time to play it but seeing what it values at it rests, when I can get to it it's there and not costing me over $100 to do so.

SCD community as in the community of driven sega fans who enjoy the CD format, SCD, Saturn, they've been pretty toxic and nasty for years, kind of like the TG one because they don't like the horrid prices due to the smaller pool of games to go around so they get a bit defensive and nasty about those new coming in, asking questions, paying high on stuff helping escalate the problem more.  Can't really blame them being pissed, it sucks when even mediocre games are getting more expensive than what thye retailed at while the good to great stuff is in the 100-1000 range with a few over that.

Exactly the Everdrive pro, run the ISOs don't get clowned, everyone wins but those with dollar signs in their eyes.  Shame not everyone can be made aware of and get an everdrive, it would break the back of things to a point.

And even if you did have the original disc/manual/case, this way you don't have to worry about risking scratching/'printing your disc.  Why take the chance if you no longer have to?

I'm leaning towards doing it my usual way...play the original version first (SCD) and save the PS1 version for my future second go-around.  I hope I can find a pdf copy of the original strategy guide (the kind you could get with the post card in the game's manual) so I can do this the way people back then would do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Estil said:

And even if you did have the original disc/manual/case, this way you don't have to worry about risking scratching/'printing your disc.  Why take the chance if you no longer have to?

I'm leaning towards doing it my usual way...play the original version first (SCD) and save the PS1 version for my future second go-around.  I hope I can find a pdf copy of the original strategy guide (the kind you could get with the post card in the game's manual) so I can do this the way people back then would do it.

There now that's not a bad idea.  And as far as the guide goes, the mail order was one, but there was another that was unofficial.  I compared the two as I intended to get a guide for the maps since I don't have time anymore to waste hours being lost.  I found the Prima one the better guide to be of actual use.  If you want the original offical (Lunar Silver Star--sega cd) it's scanned and up on the archive.org database of scanned guides.  It's a little lacking since it's for the original release, not the complete one.

I have yet to play PS1 version but played the Sega CD ones. Like mention earlier, it has that Working Designs dialogue that parts did not aged well but there is also the infamous Working Designs increased difficulty. Here is the link for patches for Unworked Designs for the games. I used it to replay Popful Mail and the difficulty was more enjoyable.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0

I might replay Vay again with the hack since I didn't want to grind for that awful Wind Elemental boss. I have awful memories of it.

• Wow! 1

I love the PS1 version. I prefer it to the original. I came into the Sega CD version much later and I was pleasantly surprised to find out there were changes than the graphics and sounds. Some dungeons are entirely different. Both are worth playing but of course, the graphics and sounds are better on the PS1. And I also prefer the OST on PSX.

As much as I love Lunar Silverstar Story, I found Eternal Blue to be a complete snooze fest and  couldn't keep playing after 2-3 hours. 

39 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I miss my puppet. 😕  I roped one some year I was at E3, even found a spare or two locally around that which were loose.  It's a fun (not so little) thing, and well I'm afraid to look at what they cost now but I will peek after this.

Looks like they’re not too terrible.  A couple years ago you could snag one for like $15.  Cool extra to have.  Too bad they never made that Alex one.  Sure would like a pair.