IGNORED

Help me decide. Should I get an SFC to SNES adapter or just soft mod my SNES?

RH

I've dragged my heals on this for ages. I would like to play some SFC games but I'm not interested in having a SNES and SFC. I know that I can Dremel down the plastic tabs in my SNES and I can then play SFC titles or I can just fork out $20-40 for an adapter that plugs into the SNES.

But here are my.thoughts on both options:

Tearing Tabs Off:

Pros:

• Easiest mod imaginable.
  • Games will fit snug in the unit.
  • Cheap as in free.

Cons:

• Permanently destructive to the SNES.
  • My SNES is in exceptional shape, so see #1.

Adapter:

Pros:

• Non-destructive to the SNES
  • Cheap adapters exist so it's not a big expense.

Cons:

• All adapters I am finding are not "pockets", so the game fits on top with nothing preventing it from wobbling. Could that be bad for the game?
  • Most adapters look cheapily made. Whether point #1 is bad for the cart or not, these adapters look like they could brake quickly or possibly even be DOA, which can be returned but is a hassle regardless.

Playing SFC games isn't a high priority for me but I'd be much more interested if I'd just make a decision and do one or the other. So what are you guys thoughts? I know everyone has their own opinion and in the end I have to make the choice I'm comfortable with it sometimes it helps to talk it through with others.

Administrator · Posted

Buy a "For Parts" SNES, take the cart holder from it, dremel THAT and put it in YOUR SNES, and hold onto the original.

• No harm to your nice condition SNES
  • Probably cheap(?)
  • You'll have other spare parts for future if you ever need them

• Like 7

If you can find a cheaper 3d printed replacement cartridge tray, that might work(then you can restore to original if you want):

https://www.shapeways.com/product/MARFTPFQQ/unisn2-tray-for-snes-2?optionId=56237730

I am having a bad time googling but that should give you the idea.

I am in the same boat and was just waiting for a junky snes to mod and paint for fun but in the mean time I have been crazy and if I really have the urge to play an import i transport the pcb from the jpn cart into a ntsc shell. It works just fine but is far from ideal.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 2

Having done this to my original SNES I got the day they came out in 1991, I'll say this much, don't do it, get an adapter or something else.  After around 3-5 years of fairly regular use of SFC carts (1995 forward) those tabs being gone allowed the game to kind of float freely and it worked the pins (gap) loose in mine.  It hit this point I had to wedge something behind the game to get it to work AND be stable as even a slight bump would break the connection locking the game up.

I decided long ago if I ever grabbed something for SFC again in the future, I'd get an adapter.

• Thanks 1

I was in this similar situation, now I ultimately got a sfc. But If sfc games aren’t a huge priority, like you only have a few you want to play. Instead of buying a cheap extender, cutting up your snes or a pricey new tray. I just bought a $1 madden game and cart swapped the boards when I wanted to play a sfc game. You’ll need a security bit which you can find dozens on eBay or wherever. Pretty much cost $5 total Included the madden game. Yeah you have to unscrew the carts and put them back together, when your finished but this was the cheapest and easiest solution I used. 

I like @BouncekDeLemos 's style!

I'm gonna recommend two ways.

#1. Buy a cart copying device. It can run games from all regions, AND it can run games off floppy disks, so it's a win:win.

#2. Buy a Kid Ken machine. It's a discrete clone, has actually worked BETTER than any real SNES / SFC I've found locally, and it can play carts from all regions.

IMG20210602232504.jpg

IMG20210602232515.jpg

IMG20210602232418.jpg

IMG20210602232430.jpg

2 hours ago, BouncekDeLemos said:

I use a Nakitek game saver + for my sfc games. I use it more as an adapter than a save-state device. 

I have one of those - it screwed up a copy of Super Conflict (I think it was that one) - that game has a weird hybrid password battery save system and it bollixed the battery save.  It also (IIRC) won't keep a save for long without being powered.

As long as you don't use it to save you should be fine though.  It will stay powered though unless you unplug it.

I have a converter that has 4 slots - SNES, NES, Super Famicom and Famicom. You almost need a pry bar to get carts out.  If you can find a converter that slips in and out easily that is the route I would go.

I have, and own one, but for the NES.  Fits perfectly, neither loose or death grip and never lost a game playing FC stuff on the NES with it.  Also have another converter I got in a package deal from a one off insane find probably 5-10 years ago now where it, Bangaioh and Sin&Punishment cost me all of $100 from someone who randomly posted it, despite their account on ebay and all past/present sales indicating them to being a shoe salesman of all things.  I guess in a way I scored 4 touchdowns that day. 😉

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I have, and own one, but for the NES.  Fits perfectly, neither loose or death grip and never lost a game playing FC stuff on the NES with it.  Also have another converter I got in a package deal from a one off insane find probably 5-10 years ago now where it, Bangaioh and Sin&Punishment cost me all of $100 from someone who randomly posted it, despite their account on ebay and all past/present sales indicating them to being a shoe salesman of all things.  I guess in a way I scored 4 touchdowns that day. 😉

I didn't know there was an FC/NES Honeybee. I assume it's for a top loader. My biggest concern is that the SFC games are curved in the front but the Honeybee slot is square. I think the idea is that the device is universal, so you can go SFC TO SNES or SNES to SFC. But, so long as it has a slight-snug grip on the cart, that will be fine in my book.

47 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Instead of cutting the tabs on your console, just get a SNES game genie for like $10 and cut the tabs on it. That’s how I play SFC games

I didn't even think of this.  That might be the best option yet.

5 hours ago, RH said:

I didn't know there was an FC/NES Honeybee. I assume it's for a top loader. My biggest concern is that the SFC games are curved in the front but the Honeybee slot is square. I think the idea is that the device is universal, so you can go SFC TO SNES or SNES to SFC. But, so long as it has a slight-snug grip on the cart, that will be fine in my book.

Actually both, they install this nice flat inch or so wide long piece of ribbon on there, so with that you can use a normal system, a gentle firm pull of the ribbon pops the whole thing out quite easily.

The price sucks, but there is a honeybee for snes/sfc - https://www.ebay.com/itm/184770782366?hash=item2b0532649e:g:yHYAAOSwnFZgebjd

Myarcade made one too, it's far cheaper, but I haven't looked enough yet to see if it sucks or not, but hey $20.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/283417192197?hash=item41fcfb2705:g:fSkAAOSwL1Rciu9Q

https://www.myarcadegaming.com/products/super-cartridge-converter

Edited by Tanooki

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, phart010 said:

So, apparently this is a thing now:

https://www.newegg.com/amp/p/27G-004C-00002

Does that one defeat region protection, or is it just a passive adapter? I've been wanting an adapter that doesn't require a donor cart for a while, and considered making one myself.

If you just want to play Japanese games on an American SNES or vice versa, it seems annoying to have to use an adapter when it's not really necessary IMO.

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

So, apparently this is a thing now:

https://www.newegg.com/amp/p/27G-004C-00002

I have seen things like this but the biggest complaint I've seen, in general, is that with even just a few uses, many of them become loose and simple bumps and shakes dislodge the cart. The best way around that is to make a really tight connection, or create a lip around the top which the SFC cart slips into. The only device I've seen with a lip is a Honeybee, and they are old and expensive (for an adapter.)

I have put this desire on the back burner for now, but I've resolved to one day getting a Honeybee unless they creep up past $100 or something truly ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

You don't even need a Dremel, just a good pair of pliers, squeeze, and twist.

I know. I just have a legit, mint SNES shell. If it was yellowed or had noticable scuffs and scrapes, I wouldn't care. But for me, the nicer condition something is in (collectible or not) the more inclined I am to keep it in tip-top shape.

I have an 8 year old Kia my wife and I inherited from her Grand Father who bought it new and had put less than 1,000 miles on it before he had to go to assisted living. We inherited it with that low mileage. We treat it like gold, even thou it's an 8 year old vehicle... and a Kia. Same rules apply to the SNES which is infinitely better than the SUV.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

you dont have to break the tabs. you can remove that whole part.

^^^This may be your better option since your SNES is minty.

Although does that whole piece come off on all models?   I have one of the original ones (that still locks the games in place) and I didn't see anything I could take off without leaving the whole top off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

^^^This may be your better option since your SNES is minty.

Although does that whole piece come off on all models?   I have one of the original ones (that still locks the games in place) and I didn't see anything I could take off without leaving the whole top off.

you might be right. but the hardware might be hidden by another piece. might have to remove a part to get to the hardware.