IGNORED

Help me decide. Should I get an SFC to SNES adapter or just soft mod my SNES?

RH

The thing you need to remove tabs from is a smaller plastic part inside the console that you can screw off, it's not a part of the whole outer shell.

It's been suggested before, but really, if you don't want to damage your SNES, just get a 3D printed version of that inner part. you can't tell the difference from outside, and all your stuff will be intact.

23 minutes ago, Sumez said:

The thing you need to remove tabs from is a smaller plastic part inside the console that you can screw off, it's not a part of the whole outer shell.

It's been suggested before, but really, if you don't want to damage your SNES, just get a 3D printed version of that inner part. you can't tell the difference from outside, and all your stuff will be intact.

honest question. how would removing the tray in order to use super fami games damage a super nintendo?

On 5/22/2021 at 10:41 PM, Tanooki said:

Having done this to my original SNES I got the day they came out in 1991, I'll say this much, don't do it, get .an adapter or something else.  After around 3-5 years of fairly regular use of SFC carts (1995 forward) those tabs being gone allowed the game to kind of float freely and it worked the pins (gap) loose in mine.  It hit this point I had to wedge something behind the game to get it to work AND be stable as even a slight bump would break the connection locking the game up.

Heh - sounds like the old trick with 8-track players - those things had 4 pairs of tracks and the playback head moved up and down to match up to whichever set of tracks you were playing.  The heads would invariably get out of alignment with decidely negative effects on playback.

CYD2ZFSUwAAD9SE.jpg.15b1f285b8bbdce126fae2e03c7190d2.jpg