IGNORED

Nintendo - Nickel-and-Diming You Once More - Skyward Sword

Screenshot-from-2021-05-19-18-45-31.png

https://www.engadget.com/legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-zelda-loftwing-amiibo-183316002.html

Apparently some people are upset about this, but I imagine most fans will just smile and say "oh you know, it's Nintendo, it's okay" because if it was EA hell would sure be raised, but Nintendo... 🤮

I don't think a $25 purchase could even be called a "microtransaction", and that's basically what you're getting for this. Seems lame to me, but hey, Nintendo knows it can milk the cash cow so you can't really blame em' when people keep paying...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, avatar! said:

but I imagine most fans will just smile and say "oh you know, it's Nintendo, it's okay" because if it was EA hell would sure be raised, but Nintendo... 🤮

As someone that doesn't care what EA does, I can safely say that as far as this amiibo goes, I don't care, I'm still getting the game! And if fast travel wasn't even a thing in this game in the first place (I've never played Skyward sword, so I don't know), then I'm not really sure why people would care all that much. This is like adding fast travel to something like TES Morrowind, it isn't really that important, and it seems like it just cheapens the experience.

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Has it even gone on sale yet? I've seen nothing yet for preorders, at least here in Canada. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-amiibo-zelda-loftwing-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd/6464871.p?skuId=6464871

It's showing as available right now, but gives an error when you add to cart. Must be going in and out of stock.

I had the original kind of broken so called 1:1 waggle play only game when it came out back in the day, and yeah that didn't have fast travel.

So really, what's the problem here?  Amiibo in a lot of games basically are used as token digital cheat codes, often they double for like smash game storage or whatever the branding is centered around.  I'm sure there's more to the $25 charge than an option speed cheat right?  This isn't being some stupid apologist as the original game was effectively ruined by the poo controls, and this one fixes it not forcing more waggle play.  That's the kind of upgrade it needed, and if that's not behind the $25 pay wall for speed I see this as a non-issue except just to have a reason to have something to whine about.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
41 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-amiibo-zelda-loftwing-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd/6464871.p?skuId=6464871

It's showing as available right now, but gives an error when you add to cart. Must be going in and out of stock.

Yeah nothing here in Canada. No listing at all. 

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I had the original kind of broken so called 1:1 waggle play only game when it came out back in the day, and yeah that didn't have fast travel.

So really, what's the problem here?  Amiibo in a lot of games basically are used as token digital cheat codes, often they double for like smash game storage or whatever the branding is centered around.  I'm sure there's more to the $25 charge than an option speed cheat right?  This isn't being some stupid apologist as the original game was effectively ruined by the poo controls, and this one fixes it not forcing more waggle play.  That's the kind of upgrade it needed, and if that's not behind the $25 pay wall for speed I see this as a non-issue except just to have a reason to have something to whine about.

I was thinking the same thing.

And yes, I do not care how good or bad a game is. Or if they fixed it while doing the remake. Something like this is no different than the days when Nintendo making controllers with rapid buttons as an option. Which is far better option than paying $25 for a gun that is limited to said game. Because in the end collectors get something to display, and EA players get a few days enjoying something that will become obsolete in either the the next game or update.

8 minutes ago, Link said:

That game was such a disappointment in the first place. 

And I didn’t even take issue with the controls like a lot of people did. But there are like a dozen other major complaints I could cite. Really don’t know what they were thinking with this one. No, I do, but I’m ok with rejecting it. Rereleasing in HD so soon, full price, with a new but pointless feature for 40% more, yeah, this is all a fuckin joke.

Oh well, better something I know I don’t have to buy, than something I really expect to like, spend money on it and hate it as happened with SS the first time. I do wish Nintendo would put this energy into new content instead, but whatever 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

I was thinking the same thing.

And yes, I do not care how good or bad a game is. Or if they fixed it while doing the remake. Something like this is no different than the days when Nintendo making controllers with rapid buttons as an option. Which is far better option than paying $25 for a gun that is limited to said game. Because in the end collectors get something to display, and EA players get a few days enjoying something that will become obsolete in either the the next game or update.

Couldn't agree more.  I've reacquired around 20 amiibo(a few new to me i that though) in the last month.  I never actually really use them at least the Smash ones for the game.  They are fun to use for the random perk they'll give in some games, but honestly they're just so well detailed, colored and created they make for excellent random desk/shelf toys to enjoy much like those basic wonky looking Nintendo trophy system things in the late 80s.  They don't eat up much room but they can work nicely at little memory tokens of a fun time with X game given the width of the Smash series alone.  Hate Smash or just won't bother anymore(like me) so... I bet maybe you did love Mega Man, Simon Belmont (or Richter), Pac-Man, something Pokemon, Snake, etc through some point of that franchise history right?  So why not pop one on display as they're not too expensive in most cases where dumbass trolls having crapped the bed (like the insane costs on those Fire Emblem ones.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gloves said:

You couldn't fast travel from anywhere in the original, so you really lose nothing by not buying the amiibo. I'd consider this more like an expensive cheat code, personally. 

But Nintendo is also making the game playable without motion controls - if you're a purist shouldn't you play it with the atrocious motion controls? Point I'm trying to make is that it's okay to have quality-of-life upgrades on games, it's rather expected these days, and there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, Nintendo has hyped the game up as NOT needing the original motion controls. However, hiding something that is common in games today (fast travel) and would benefit many people and many people would want - behind a $25 paywall? That's Nintendo being cheap as can be in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I I'm sure there's more to the $25 charge than an option speed cheat right?

Nope. For "only" 42% of the cost of the game you get... fast travel. Yay.
I know people collect the little dolls and that's fine. Nothing wrong with that! But, to effectively hide something so commonplace behind a $25 "microtransaction" - wow, that's super cheap.

Nintendo gets away with little BS like this all the time but we all give them a pass because they're Nintendo. OOT MQ was free as a preorder bonus, now ports and remakes are full price, and are the bulk of Nintendo's "filler" games in between the big new stuff now. Hell, a pair of joycons are $70 and they're probably the worst, least reliable controllers Nintendo has ever made and their plans seems to be never actually fixing drift issues. Their paid online service?? With the tethered phone voice chat! My god!

And I'm not complaining cause I'm happy to ignore literally everything Nintendo does in between their big Zelda, Mario, Metroid games, but man they're nearly as bad as an Ubisoft or EA. They just have much more beloved characters.

• Like 1