IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #10: What is a game that you have never played, and don't understand why it was ever released and had people buy it?

SilverspoonGaming

The Guy Game. I mean I get it was targeted at horny teenage boys that wanted to see boobies, but come on. And look at the guy on the cover art. If that isn't the most punchable face on any video game cover art I don't know what is. Also, fun fact, apparently one of the girls in the was "unknowingly" underage at the time of the making of the game and now the game is "banned"/"illegal" and therefore has skyrocketed in price in the last two years or so. 

The_Guy_Game.jpg

I'll probably catch it for this if a fan is here, but Undertale.  Why does this even exist?  Might as well call it Pandertale.  I know what it is, I've looked at videos, read up, and I don't get why this is liked at all.   You have your wannabe yet again 'retro cool' style looking game in the usual 8/16bit style, but despite it being this RPG JRPG homage instead for combat you get these utterly shitty sequences.  It could be a rhythm heaven style picky  as hell timing racket, or you could end up with some 2bit pongy looking bullet hell crap.  Why do people like this crap?  It just seems to pander to the me-too cliquy trolls who suck off specific genres, not because the actual game has a great story or is really worth while.  It's like cool for taking niche styles of other games and using that for combat which should likely turn most people off who don't like this stuff.  I've watched and listened to plenty, and that's about the conclusion I got...never will buy this, probably wouldn't even play it if it were gifted.  I hate timing games with a passion, bullet hell makes me want to throw a controller since it too is a memory match game as well, among other tropes it humps as well.

• Like 1

I don't think the appeal behind Undertale's combat is that hard to grasp? It takes the timed hit stuff from games like Super Mario RPG and makes them more involved by taking some inspiration from shmups. Never played a bullet hell but I thought it was pretty fun, way moreso than most JRPG combat systems from the 8/16-bit era, and generally not that hard. But yeah, you should probably stay away if you can't handle that kind of gameplay at all.

And while not everyone's gonna enjoy the characters and story (there's a very particular tone and appeal it's going for), I think those are ultimately more responsible for its fanbase than the actual bullet hell-ish gameplay. Music is good too.

Edited by MagusSmurf
  • Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

The Guy Game. I mean I get it was targeted at horny teenage boys that wanted to see boobies, but come on. And look at the guy on the cover art. If that isn't the most punchable face on any video game cover art I don't know what is. Also, fun fact, apparently one of the girls in the was "unknowingly" underage at the time of the making of the game and now the game is "banned"/"illegal" and therefore has skyrocketed in price in the last two years or so. 

The_Guy_Game.jpg

I have played this a few times, and cant for the life of me find any codes or save files to just skip the game and see the boobs.  I cant stand to play it for long enough to see very many.

• Like 1

When I read the title, I knew I was going to mention a tv or movie license game. But if you think about it, even a game about Wayne's World makes _some_ sense if you go from the movies, since Wayne and Garth actually do have some obstacles to overcome. It's not much but it's there.

So I have to declare Home Improvement on SNES the most useless game ever. I never cared for the show, never cared for anything starring Tim Allen and I sure as hell would not care to play a 16bit console game about a sitcom.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg

6 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

So I have to declare Home Improvement on SNES the most useless game ever. I never cared for the show, never cared for anything starring Tim Allen and I sure as hell would not care to play a 16bit console game about a sitcom.

A C-grade publisher, *and* based on a sitcom?  This game had ZERO chance of being good.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:33 AM, AstralSoul said:

The_Guy_Game.jpg

What is happening with that guy's mouth? Is that his tongue? Douchebag central.

• Like 1