IGNORED

I want to introduce my wife to the NES; how can I be sure it gets a good first impression?

Estil

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Not officially, but Columns-esque games have shown up on bootleg plug-n-plays that use NOACs, usually under the name Jewelry. I'm sure the ROMs are floating around (don't ask me where, I haven't looked.) I think Sivak Games was doing a homebrew demo of a Columns clone. 

The game is called Magic Jewelry and it's pretty fun. I like the music.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The game is called Magic Jewelry and it's pretty fun. I like the music.

Yeah, that's one of the names, but sometimes they get a bit creative with the names on the menu screen. Like Milipede becoming Millpecle.

Edited by Tulpa

Graphics Team · Posted
16 hours ago, Aguy said:

Bubble Bobble

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

bubble bobble

Bubble Bobble gets my vote, too. Short, simple levels with simultaneous co-op. You can't go wrong there.

And the platforming mechanics are infinitely more approachable than other early NES titles like Donkey Kong and the original Super Mario Bros. (at least in my own experience as someone who didn't play NES until I was practically an adult).

-CasualCart

• Like 2

Anyone here got a couple of spare NES controllers and AC Adapter?  Should I settle for no less than the real ones or are the fake ones over at SAG good enough?

And I did luckily manage to find a fixed Tengen Ms Pac Man ROM from one of my super secret rom places.  I bet that game would be PERFECT for us to play together! 😄 

Oooh, we can also play Rescue Rangers at the same time together?  She loves that show as did I back in the day!

Edited by Estil

23 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yes but my wife insists she's not into those big quest kinds of games 😛 

Maybe it's like Q from Star Trek TNG (one of her favorite shows) once said, those kind of games I guess are too adult a puzzle for her 😄 

Personally I'd stay away from the B-C team garbage including game show stuff, or at least most, wheel is pretty solid.

I'd go with games anyone here being detached and honest would not call on the upper side of the challenge scale either, you want to nudge someone in and when they're good, that's when you get out the admired nastier games like Ghosts n Goblins for example.

Perhaps start simple, more basic, black box games.  They're for the most part simple point rackers, other than Super Mario Bros which is just required play as it's easy to enjoy, more of a challenge to finish but not in an ever frustrating way.  Balloon Fight, Kung Fu, the 3 DK titles, Wrecking Crew, Mach Rider, stuff like that eventually even Punchout.  Later throw the 3 silver box games, starting with the easier driver Rad Racer as Metroid and Kid Icarus are more intense and a commitment.  Zelda though #1 would be more advisable than the sequel

Third party, as much as I'd rather not say start with it, Castlevania start with 2 or 3, not #1 as it's the worst.  And similarly with Mega Man, again start with 2 then try 3 as 1 is kind of sadistic.  Turtles, 1 same thing...argh, but 2 and 3 are a pleasure.  Having that everdrive, Bomberman 2 would be a solid trip, and things like Mighty Final Fight would be a good stress reliever. 😛  Sticking to those makers more or less, capcom side the Disney games are fair bets for easy fun and they're not trolling.

Given her DS ideas of fun, I'd stick to puzzles too -- Tengen (or Nintendo) Tetris, Dr Mario, Wario Woods, perhaps more action based Solomon's Key.

If she's pleased weeks/months out then go into the loved but grating stuff -- Blaster Master, Ninja Gaiden trilogy, 1942-3, TMNT1, Castlevania 1, Megaman 1, Zelda 2, and so on.  If you drop the hammer up front it can turn anyone off.

I guess stick to the classics. stuff like:

Super Mario Bros

Punch-out!

Kung-fu

Ducktales...

I mean yea, you could go for Wheel of Fortune or Anticipation to appeal to her interest in gameshows, but if the point is to make the best impression, go with the titles that have stood the test of time

I don't know what people have against the gameshow games on NES. Most are decent for what they are. They're really just fancy trivia games when you get down to it.

The only one that I'd avoid outright is Double Dare because of the wretched obstacle course.

Well some of them are fine, Jeopardy sucks though.  You have to spell each word 100% correctly, exactly how they want it, even on some stuff which could optionally be abbreviated you better hope that short hand isn't what the coder wanted or you lose the round.  Wheel is the most well done of the bundle of game show titles, hard to screw that up.

On 5/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, TDIRunner said:

I know it's a simple answer, but if you stick with the classics, you can't go wrong.

My kids played their first NES game last night.  Of course it was Super Mario Bros.  They couldn't get very far, but they loved it and they want to try again tonight.  

That's what I do actually, especially with consoles I don't have a whole lot of experience with...America, eh I mean blue chips first! 😄 

Sounds like you're raising them boys and/or girls right!  I'm sure glad it isn't like the 90s when apparently retro stuff (at least in TV/movies) was looked down upon or made fun of:

And the two Brady Bunch movies in the 90s touched upon this too, I think...

PS: Let's say I DID drive and did carpool I'd play nothing but ABBA (and only the really catchy/peppy songs, none of that sad/depressing Visitors album stuff) 😄 

Or, like that one episode of 7th Heaven (the one based on 12 Angry Men), we find that with Eric Camden (I'm talking strictly about the character, not the guy who played him), you'd only find in his office music by these guys:

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1