IGNORED

I want to introduce my wife to the NES; how can I be sure it gets a good first impression?

Estil

My wife had a NES when she was a kid, but to this day, the only games she will play are Mario 1 & 3, Tetris, and Dr. Mario.  She is actually better than me at SMB3...she claims to have spent one summer finding all the warp whistles with her girlfriend and all the other hidden items they could find.  I asked her why she didn't just look in Nintendo Power and she said, "What's a Nintendo Power?"  Big respect for her after that...finding the stuff on her own.  And, of course, this was pre-internet! 😄

So, should I go ahead and get the controllers/AC adapter from SAG?  I think for this purpose the newer 3rd party stuff should be good enough right?  This way I can get them in one purchase and not have to worry about extra shipping costs if I had to piecemeal it.

48 minutes ago, Estil said:

So, should I go ahead and get the controllers/AC adapter from SAG?  I think for this purpose the newer 3rd party stuff should be good enough right?  This way I can get them in one purchase and not have to worry about extra shipping costs if I had to piecemeal it.

I have no idea about the AC adapter, but third party controllers in my experience tend to use inferior rubber pads. Get them if you want, but be expected to pitch them in the garbage three months from now due to the pads splitting and wearing out.

On 5/16/2021 at 1:03 AM, Tulpa said:

Also, if the flat screen TV she has is newer, like built in the last few years, make sure it has composite video and analog audio inputs. Some don't, and some have the combined composite/component video input. If it's HDMI only, you might need a solution for that.

Even 5 years ago I started seeing TVs that don't even recognize inputs below 480i; People I know who have bought newer TVs, I've tried hooking up an NES, and it wouldn't even display the image. Be careful, even if it has composite it won't always accept the NES video signal.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:22 PM, Californication said:

The famicom has Flipull which is kind of like a match 3 game.

Aren't Candy Crush and such technically inspired by Bejeweled?

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I have no idea about the AC adapter, but third party controllers in my experience tend to use inferior rubber pads. Get them if you want, but be expected to pitch them in the garbage three months from now due to the pads splitting and wearing out.

Well what about the ones SAG offers?  I can't imagine they'd sell them if they weren't any good...

24 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well what about the ones SAG offers?  I can't imagine they'd sell them if they weren't any good...

I don't know, but SAG sells Hyperkin and Yobo clones and I know those have controllers that are garbage. So the idea that SAG doesn't sell trash goes out the window.

I'm just sayin'. Spend a little extra on separate shipping on a quality Nintendo controller off of Ebay (with pads that have OEM quality replacements available), or possibly spend more on all new controllers (and shipping) when you have to replace the ones that wear out three months down the line. (And no, the OEM pads for Nintendo NES controllers won't fit the knockoffs. I've tried.)

Your choice.

Just throwing out what I've experienced so you're not wasting your money.

Edited by Tulpa

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I don't know, but SAG sells Hyperkin and Yobo clones and I know those have controllers that are garbage. So the idea that SAG doesn't sell trash goes out the window.

I'm just sayin'. Spend a little extra on separate shipping on a quality Nintendo controller off of Ebay (with pads that have OEM quality replacements available), or possibly spend more on all new controllers (and shipping) when you have to replace the ones that wear out three months down the line. (And no, the OEM pads for Nintendo NES controllers won't fit the knockoffs. I've tried.)

Your choice.

Just throwing out what I've experienced so you're not wasting your money.

So I guess I should only go with real controllers/AC adapter...sooooo where would be the best place to get them in good condition?

9 hours ago, Tulpa said:

eBay, but if you want an actual online store, I know Lukie Games also sells them. But Lukie doesn't sell original AC adapters, only the newer ones.

Well I know all about Feebay but how can I be sure which ones are good ones?

Thanks for pointing out this Lukie Games place...it looks like a pretty good store and like SAG, it too does a reward points sort of deal.  And their NES controllers are only a ten spot each, that's not bad!  Wonder if I should maybe spring for one of those doggie controllers too to match my top loader...

Edited by Estil

44 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well I know all about Feebay but how can I be sure which ones are good ones?

Stick to the Nintendo branded ones, and look at the condition. That's about it. Don't overthink it.

If the pads are worn, you can easily get replacements from Mortoff Games or a few other spots online. (The knockoffs don't seem to have replacement pads.)

I'm actually a little surprised you haven't heard of Lukie Games. They were mentioned just about every day on NintendoAge.

44 minutes ago, Estil said:

Wonder if I should maybe spring for one of those doggie controllers too to match my top loader...

Up to you. I prefer the original rectangle ones. The dogbones I've used occasionally register a wrong direction on the d-pad for some reason, though I've heard that's not a universal experience.

Edited by Tulpa

4 hours ago, Aaron64 said:

Battletoads

You did read the OP where I explained what my wife's video game experience is so far right?  I don't even know if she's ever played a home console TBH...

But she did in fact get into a game that starts with a B...Blackjack!  Which it allows for two players versus the dealer we can easily play that game over the phone.  And of course there's Solitare on the NES from the same company as well.

I can't wait till we get to play NES together for the first time it'll be great! 😄 

Edited by Estil

2 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

She doesn't have a TV where she's at? I don't know if you want to lug around a heavy CRT.

Her room does have a TV but it's the kind that's attached to the wall near the ceiling.  Not exactly ideal as it'll be far away from her bed/desk.  Surely a 13" CRT wouldn't be that heavy; the only question is how to get one...

16 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Craigslist

Pawn Shop

Thrift Shop

No luck on Craig's List...and I don't reckon Pawn/Thrift places even bother offering CRT's anymore do they?  I mean who else besides retro gamers or vintage TV buffs would even want them?

3 minutes ago, Estil said:

No luck on Craig's List...and I don't reckon Pawn/Thrift places even bother offering CRT's anymore do they?  I mean who else besides retro gamers or vintage TV buffs would even want them?

Those are the only places that I know of that would be local to you. I assume, given that you wanted a store that sold controllers and AC adapters, that you are sensitive to shipping costs. A CRT shipped to you would effectively rape whatever you saved on combined shipping on your Lukie Games purchase and then some.

Only other thing I can think of is to start trolling the alleys and curbs of your town and hope you get lucky finding a working one that someone put out. 

• 2 weeks later...