IGNORED

Been out of the game for a while, Dreamcast and PS1 prices are nuts

Guests · Posted

I pressed pause on collecting for a few years and recently got curious to how things were going. It didn't take long to notice the wave of high prices had extended to more recent consoles. Now I know there's always been expensive titles but holy crap! I looked at Silent Hill 1 on eBay and was shocked at what it's going for now. I bought mine for like $35 or something and now it's $150+. Also Dreamcast titles like D2 or the Resident Evil series. 

Has NES just kinda held firm? It seems like the big hitters (Samson, Bonk, Dinosaur Peak, etc) are still pretty banging. 

43 minutes ago, Shane7951 said:

I pressed pause on collecting for a few years and recently got curious to how things were going. It didn't take long to notice the wave of high prices had extended to more recent consoles. Now I know there's always been expensive titles but holy crap! I looked at Silent Hill 1 on eBay and was shocked at what it's going for now. I bought mine for like $35 or something and now it's $150+. Also Dreamcast titles like D2 or the Resident Evil series. 

Has NES just kinda held firm? It seems like the big hitters (Samson, Bonk, Dinosaur Peak, etc) are still pretty banging. 

The better Ntsc PS1 games pretty much doubled last year. J-ntsc are still reasonable if you are not buying off ebay. The Ebay J-ntsc prices are high, but there are almost no sales happening. 

Nes was declining until last year and everything got a bump common to rare. 

Sealed nes prices are insane and cib are jogging behind them.

If your going back into PS1 the prices seem like they are starting to soften imo, so time is probably on your side.

Edited by Californication

I don't think any of us get it quite anymore.  We just find other ways or don't bother.  There was a fair argument pro/con against it just turning into a profit driven thing because before the last 18mo it was fairly stable with an annoyingly higher than before increase in values but even they had begun to fall or were flat.  But this stuff we're in now, well driven by the virus and money and boredom has speculators maybe some WATA stupidity driven making things just ugly, horribly ugly.  Even a large amount of nearly unsellable crap is even going up, and the good ones that really still hadn't even peaked at old retail a couple years back say like PS1's Parasite Eve which you could bag for like $20-40 back then...yeah, not anymore.  Even the more untouchable stuff as lesser than games,  you know, handheld stuff like gameboy is going into the crapper.

I second guessed a pick up I did yesterday thinking Iw as getting screwed at $35 on Oracle of Seasons GBC, to then find the damn thing sell for easily $50-60 now...loose.  And DK Land was $12, before the increase a hard sell north of $5.  Just don't pay a shark, invest in a kit, kick something bac to someone who created the device, and just play what you want.  And if that's not worth it, we know 25 + years of emulation history leaves lots of choices.

Administrator · Posted

The way I see it personally is either:

1. It'll keep going up and eventually my collection will be worth so much that I'd be stupid to not get rid of it (let's say quadruple it's current value perhaps), OR
  2. This is all temporary due to grading, comics people, and/or pandemic related things, and things go back DOWN (potentially even the proverbial "bubble burst"), at which point, nice - I can start buying things more liberally again.

Either way I'm happy. I have my curated collection by and large completed with a few outliers missing here and there, but I'd be satisfied right now if I could never buy another (retro) game due to prices going up.

• Like 3

I hardly buy anything anymore, and I'm ok with that.  I have more than enough to keep me busy.  While I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I don't need to sell my games, I still ask myself if it isn't stupid not to sell right now.  Of course I'm not considering selling everything, but maybe the stuff that I really don't need.  

• Like 3

I think it's newbies getting into collecting making very poor investment decisions. Businesses are also buying out good quality deals right away. In the long run I think that's going to come back and haunt them cause there will be less people looking and more risk of things either not working or worse then they expected conditions. Then other sellers see what people are getting and drive up the prices.  I would say things will eventually settle down which they have to some degree.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gloves said:

1. This is all temporary due to grading, comics people, and/or pandemic related things, and things go back DOWN (potentially even the proverbial "bubble burst"), at which point, nice - I can start buying things more liberally again.

I never really believed in the game "bubble" when a copy of Contra went from $15 to $30 over a number of years. But in the era of... this... I don't know what else to think. Crypto graphs to the moon.

wOisil0.png

If you paid last month's comic prices you potentially got a $1,000s bargain.

WIduYRx.png

Daily queues at Target to buy out their entire stock of Pokemon and sports cards to immediately flip online... Just... lol

N1qObBb.png

• Wow! 1

23 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I never really believed in the game "bubble" when a copy of Contra went from $15 to $30 over a number of years. But in the era of... this... I don't know what else to think. Crypto graphs to the moon.

wOisil0.png

If you paid last month's comic prices you potentially got a $1,000s bargain.

WIduYRx.png

Daily queues at Target to buy out their entire stock of Pokemon and sports cards to immediately flip online... Just... lol

N1qObBb.png

Dang.  I had no idea.  Well this is fantastic.  America’s turned into one giant pyramid scheme.  Well more than it already was.  Collectibles as a whole bout to get Rekt.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

I've been meaning to ask this and I should probably start a new thread, but I'll ask it here for now.  I have almost no knowledge about Pokemon related stuff because I never got into it since I was just outside of the age range when it first became popular.  My kids are semi into it now, and they have a shit load of Pokemon cards that have been bought in the past year or so.  I mean piles of them.  Should I be keeping an eye out for valuable stuff they might have?  

For the record, I'm not talking about taking their cards and flipping them.  I consider their cards to belong to them, and that won't change.  But should I be on the lookout for valuable cards that we should be protecting?  Or is the stuff that they have probably worthless?  

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I've been meaning to ask this and I should probably start a new thread, but I'll ask it here for now.  I have almost no knowledge about Pokemon related stuff because I never got into it since I was just outside of the age range when it first became popular.  My kids are semi into it now, and they have a shit load of Pokemon cards that have been bought in the past year or so.  I mean piles of them.  Should I be keeping an eye out for valuable stuff they might have?  

For the record, I'm not talking about taking their cards and flipping them.  I consider their cards to belong to them, and that won't change.  But should I be on the lookout for valuable cards that we should be protecting?  Or is the stuff that they have probably worthless?  

The fancy modern stuff AFAIK are a couple shiny Charizard and Pikachu cards that sell for a couple hundred. Everything else is normal TCG prices, some $10s for the best stuff because it's all so mass produced. And of course anything less than a perfect 10 is garbage because so many people are putting modern cards straight from the pack to the grading pipeline.

These are the cards I constantly see infecting my video game-focused social media feed:

M5L0JF6.pngvIvtAuv.pngbkUh5Nt.png

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

The fancy modern stuff AFAIK are a couple shiny Charizard and Pikachu cards that sell for a couple hundred. Everything else is normal TCG prices, some $10s for the best stuff because it's all so mass produced. And of course anything less than a perfect 10 is garbage because so many people are putting modern cards straight from the pack to the grading pipeline.

These are the cards I constantly see infecting my video game-focused social media feed:

M5L0JF6.pngvIvtAuv.pngbkUh5Nt.png

Honestly that's good to hear.  I would rather not have to worry about my kids wrecking a super expensive card by playing with it.  I'm just glad they have plenty of cards since they are difficult to buy now and I would never pay more then retail for anything like that.  

• Like 1

Ooof not that I love how the home life is these days, which the pandemic escalated, but seeing that line of scumbags and the social media reference to said pokemon items and specifically the cards...it almost makes me in a slight way pleased my daughter has some adhd/ocd/anger/control issues.  We stopped playing the game entirely well over a year ago because a basic match with a learning deck woudl take 2 hours and lots of attitude so I put it up.  I'd hate to be competing with that garbage to get cards for my kid to enjoy.  No wonder they seemingly appear to be gone from shelves or severely picked over when I go to the store.

I'm so over the crap.  I'm down to buying for ME now, and when it's not douchy prices.  Getting rid of what isn't amusing me anymore either, let those sharks take each others blood over it which is fine by me.

This weekend the neighborhood garage sale returns, I intend to flush some of the local parasites out of the woodwork doing an individual post highlighting some vintage games and toys...I bet the trolls show up an hour before start. 🙂

1 hour ago, Bonanza125 said:

They always do. 

Oh I know, it was sarcasm.

And you know what else I was thinking at the time?  What I do to those trolls just to watch them get frustrated and squirm.  The goodies they're trying to lay pressure down to get stays inside until everything else gets laid out.  I find it satisfying letting them wonder if it's worth sticking around, or are they wasting their time and should go.  The mental gymnastics are obvious fueling the fun. 

31 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh I know, it was sarcasm.

And you know what else I was thinking at the time?  What I do to those trolls just to watch them get frustrated and squirm.  The goodies they're trying to lay pressure down to get stays inside until everything else gets laid out.  I find it satisfying letting them wonder if it's worth sticking around, or are they wasting their time and should go.  The mental gymnastics are obvious fueling the fun. 

Honestly, people are so aggressive right now, that it might now be worth the risk of some idiot making a scene.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

This weekend the neighborhood garage sale returns, I intend to flush some of the local parasites out of the woodwork doing an individual post highlighting some vintage games and toys...I bet the trolls show up an hour before start. 🙂

An hour?  More like they will show up the day before trying to buy everything from you to keep you from "dragging it all out and having no one even stop to look".  It's absolutely crazy right now!  I had a yard sale and posted that I would have a few common NES games and someone drove 45 miles to be outside my house at 4 AM.  For common NES games!  Insanity.

Well I'm going to not be direct about it or give any real early warning.  I think I'll post the fact it's happening Friday night.  And since it's a neighborhood wide sale, no address, just the street/neighborhood name easily found off the main road.  It'll be up to them to figure out which house. 🙂

I know of at least 2-3 people on here who live in the same town, I wonder if they've read this. 😄

• Like 1

PS2 is crazy as well. I only have a handful and all of them have gone up at least 3x, some much more (Silent Hill 2 and 3 are insane). Some PS3 games have shot through the roof too, after being really cheap for years (Puppeteer for example, which isn't even that good, was <$10 basically since it came out in 2013, and now is just under $100).

Edited by cma2032

PS3 and Vita got jacked by the announcement that the store for those systems would shut down. That got reversed, and prices on some stuff have started to drop again. (I noticed Silent Hill: Book of Memories is back down to just over $100 lately, after touching $200 at the peak of store shutdown madness).

Edited by AdamW

On 5/14/2021 at 1:36 PM, cma2032 said:

PS2 is crazy as well. I only have a handful and all of them have gone up at least 3x, some much more (Silent Hill 2 and 3 are insane). Some PS3 games have shot through the roof too, after being really cheap for years (Puppeteer for example, which isn't even that good, was <$10 basically since it came out in 2013, and now is just under $100).

Yea, and the super rare stuff like Rule of Rose and Kuon have also jumped the shark.  Lol, I can remember when this stuff was collecting dust on gamestop's shelves because nobody wanted it.  T_T  It still isn't as bad as gamecube.  The same game on the cube is sometimes $20 - $30 more.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:51 PM, Tanooki said:

I second guessed a pick up I did yesterday thinking Iw as getting screwed at $35 on Oracle of Seasons GBC, to then find the damn thing sell for easily $50-60 now...loose. 

Yeah. Never bet down on Zelda. A few years ago I bit the bullet on GC TP, annoyed that I couldn’t find it cheaper, but knowing that I would later regret not buying it for $50.

Yeah it's rare a Zelda game could do like worse.  The 2 terrible touchy feely control only DS titles didn't do so hot for a long time and even those two seem to pop up a bit in some listings over their original price, but struggle more than the others.  So even bad Zelda games Nintendo put on their own hardware still do better than where they started.  The last I looked I think only the shoddy Wii version of TP is still cheap.  Glad I have the correct GC release. 😄