IGNORED

April Fools Stadium Events

20 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

5 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

It was an ill-advised "joke" that resulted in something like 45 repro-copies of Stadium Events going into the wild.

Yes they were marked -- but it got a lot of well-deserved criticism at the time.

It doesn't matter.  I wouldn't touch this auction anyway.  I mean, he didn't show the board so how do we know it is a legit April Fools Day version.  This could be a repro of a repro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
45 minutes ago, RH said:

It doesn't matter.  I wouldn't touch this auction anyway.  I mean, he didn't show the board so how do we know it is a legit April Fools Day version.  This could be a repro of a repro.

Worse - it could be an authentic board in a repro case. Tsk tsk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Anyone from the old Nintendo Age days have the story on this one?

Guy started a thread on April Fools day saying he found a stash of SE carts, showed a pic of a bunch of them lined up.  

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

It was an ill-advised "joke" that resulted in something like 45 repro-copies of Stadium Events going into the wild.

Yes they were marked -- but it got a lot of well-deserved criticism at the time.

The funny thing is it actually took awhile for people to figure out they weren't legit.  Those labels are comically bad!  It was a different time in 2008.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Guy started a thread on April Fools day saying he found a stash of SE carts, showed a pic of a bunch of them lined up.  

The funny thing is it actually took awhile for people to figure out they weren't legit.  Those labels are comically bad!  It was a different time in 2008.

You mean you didn’t have 768 different labels all memorized with perfect precision back in 2008?

Next you’re gonna tell me that people didn’t even care about which variant of Super Mario Bros. they had as long as it was a Hangtab or not.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

You mean you didn’t have 768 different labels all memorized with perfect precision back in 2008?

Next you’re gonna tell me that people didn’t even care about which variant of Super Mario Bros. they had as long as it was a Hangtab or not.

Bro LOOK at the label lol. Dude cut em out with kid scissors. 

Yes, it looks horrid IN THAT PICTURE.  But remember, the initial thread there were no close in shots like that, only a bulk shot of 45 copies of Stadium Events.  Most everyone figured it out quickly, especially given the date it was posted, but it was a pretty good prank.  They never should've been sold though, that was just plain stupid.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

They never should've been sold though, that was just plain stupid.

Yeah -- ethical lines were definitely crossed, because "the joke" was a pretty obvious repro-sale cash grab (back when repros were a "newer" thing to most people) that under ANY other circumstances would have seen a lot more blowback.

They could have very easily accomplished the same "joke" with just labels and cartridge shells without all of the effort of soldering chips onto boards to make actual reproductions.

Edited by arch_8ngel

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

They could have very easily accomplished the same "joke" with just labels and cartridge shells without all of the effort of soldering chips onto boards to make actual reproductions.

That's where I was never sure though - did he make them on boards and make actual repros after people asked to buy them, or were they all working repros from the get go?  Or has that info been lost to time?  Both are still  crap mind you, as the repros should've never been made, but was it something he did for the dollar signs from the get go, or did he do it after because the dollars were thrown at him?

18 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That's where I was never sure though - did he make them on boards and make actual repros after people asked to buy them, or were they all working repros from the get go?  Or has that info been lost to time?  Both are still  crap mind you, as the repros should've never been made, but was it something he did for the dollar signs from the get go, or did he do it after because the dollars were thrown at him?

My recollection of events was that they were all working repros from the get-go.

16 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

My recollection of events was that they were all working repros from the get-go.

They actually had the rom on them?! I remember hearing about these way back but people said the April Fools Cart I thought that meant there was like an April Fools Splash Screen or something if you booted the game up

35 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

They actually had the rom on them?! I remember hearing about these way back but people said the April Fools Cart I thought that meant there was like an April Fools Splash Screen or something if you booted the game up

I never owned one, because I thought paying money for a repro of Stadium Events was a pretty dumb thing to spend money on -- but my recollection was that they were "full" reproductions though they may have had a ROM hack of the title screen.  That I'm not entirely sure of.

Edited by arch_8ngel

They worked. He numbered the initial batch that he made for the joke. Demand was so high that he made another batch without numbers, the ebay listing is one of the 2nd batch. 

Like arch said, at the time people making repros was pretty new. Most thought the picture was a photoshop initially, not that someone actually made real carts, as that wasn't really a thing yet.

Edited by B.A.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

If that were the case, there wouldn't have been any sort of controversy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GPX said:

Nevermind if it’s a repro shell housing a bootleg rom with a homebrew label..would WATA grade this as an authentic April Fool’s edition?

When you think about it like that, any cheap bootleg is technically an authentic version of that bootleg or repro lol

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

These existing are my fault.  

I was practicing soldering to make repros for myself of the unreleased NES games that had been found at the time when I thought it would be a funny joke to make a bunch of these for an April Fool’s Day gag.  Then people wanted one so I released them into the wild and got a lot of well deserved flack for it.   

And yes a four year old does cut labels better than me.  You have got to love the gold Office Depot mailing labels I used though.

After the backlash deservedly received I quit selling repros and saved you all from a similar “Huge Insect” drop with equally great labels.   

My son is now enjoying my cart only all but a real stadium events nes collection and I was sad to see NA was gone when I went to show it to him today.

Edited by Yemtrader
Typo
  • Like 2