IGNORED

What are the rarest games for nes.

ThadMyster

I think if someone did a true Top 10 rarest NES/FC, SNES/SFC list it would not do well.  Reality vs clickbait rarely line up well, and the douchy losers who want to keep circling the same pack of lies of what is rare and profitable masquerading as rare don't line up much at all.

Like on SNES is someone going to want to see Earthbound, Hagane, and Aero Fighters, or are they going to want to see Exertainment+Speed Racer, etc.  You get the idea...clickbait wins because idiots and scalpers rule the roost.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I think if someone did a true Top 10 rarest NES/FC, SNES/SFC list it would not do well.  Reality vs clickbait rarely line up well, and the douchy losers who want to keep circling the same pack of lies of what is rare and profitable masquerading as rare don't line up much at all.

Like on SNES is someone going to want to see Earthbound, Hagane, and Aero Fighters, or are they going to want to see Exertainment+Speed Racer, etc.  You get the idea...clickbait wins because idiots and scalpers rule the roost.

I wouldn't claim it'd go viral and if the video were to get traction, it doesn't matter the content, it'd have to come from a YouTuber that already has a moderate sub base.

That said, I bet a video like that could do well.   Your point about clickbait is true but at this point, hasn't just about every single game collecting channel done a "Top 10 Rares" video for their primary system?  I bet if you did a "Rarest NES Games" search on YT, the first 10 would be on that specific topic and of the top 30, 27-28 would be specifically on top "rares" and they'd all cover the same 15, maybe 20, games.

But making something new would stand out with the people that cared.  Post it to Reddit and a few other places and it might even get people talking.  I guess what I'm saying is that canned information is over-saturated so providing something new might turn a few heads.

Maybe.  Bs like clickbait is specifically why I don't watch most of it and follow the few genuine researchers like the (Game) Works weekly from Jeremy Parish, the Gaming Historian, and a few others who don't get high off their own farts and do solid reliable work.  They don't resort to asinine lists like that, they rely on facts and cover the stuff and do it with style.  You're likely right about if you got a clickbaiter to do honest work, or some back door to a viral care through reddit or some other medium could help it take off for a time.  In the end though it would be sadly again buried under a pile of shovelware.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 8:24 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

That's how @Dr. Morbis found his Big Nose & The Witch Doctor proto.  Probably the same seller 😛

I bought a pallet of consoles at a hole in the wall trading post for a hundred bucks and it had one of the rarest console variants of all time.  The Nickelodeon PS2!  One just like mine recently sold for 5500 bucks.  And quick, too!

Edited by Rudybegga

On 12/14/2022 at 6:23 AM, RH said:

I'd actually like to see just one person do one of these correctly.  Someone who starts out asking "what does 'rare' even mean?" and then branches out to talk about the top couple of games that are rare, regardless of popularity, and then it branches a bit on variants and games (specific to the NES) that are rare and worth searching in other regions.

It amazes me that so many of these videos appeal to the lowest common denominator.  At this point, if someone really is interested in the rarity of NES titles, they've probably read one of the thousand articles that talk about the most expensive NES games (which we all know does not equate to rarity) and if they are still searching, they'd probably be interested into the niche side of collecting for the system.

Heck, I'm more into the niche side of Game Boy collecting and I've casually observed you guys regarding NES stuff.  I'd love to see a "Top 10 Rarest NES" titles video that actually looked at legit rarity, regardless of cost, and also spoke a lot on desirable, rare variants.  Things like Top 5 5-screws, rare NES label variants from difference regions or "oddities" that have been confirmed legit but are hard to explain how they came into existence.

I guess there just aren't enough YouTubers out there with that knowledge that care to make those types of videos.

Thanks for the idea, I'm actually going to do this for NES and 2600.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Thanks for the idea, I'm actually going to do this for NES and 2600.

I'm already subbed.  I can't wait to see this one!

I'm sure you could even make it a mini-series.  If you follow my suggestion, you could post a video first on what does "Rarity" mean to the serious community, and form their make a Top 5 or Top 10 for each type of classifation.  I mean, you do whatever you're motivated to do but if you want an idea for content, post some quality videos on the niche side of this stuff. 

If you make it compelling, you could open up peoples eyes to the fun of collecting, plus the good news is a lot of the rare stuff is reasonably priced because it's both hard to find, but obscure and not a lot of people are looking for these related items.

6 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm already subbed.  I can't wait to see this one!

I'm sure you could even make it a mini-series.  If you follow my suggestion, you could post a video first on what does "Rarity" mean to the serious community, and form their make a Top 5 or Top 10 for each type of classifation.  I mean, you do whatever you're motivated to do but if you want an idea for content, post some quality videos on the niche side of this stuff. 

If you make it compelling, you could open up peoples eyes to the fun of collecting, plus the good news is a lot of the rare stuff is reasonably priced because it's both hard to find, but obscure and not a lot of people are looking for these related items.

Good idea, I think it would have to be split between licensed / unlicensed or else unlicensed will take up the entire list.

I may have some controversial licensed games on the list, one of them being James Bond Jr. I've seen that game exactly zero times in my collecting journeys.

Edited by Code Monkey
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I may have some controversial licensed games on the list, one of them being James Bond Jr. I've seen that game exactly zero times in my collecting journeys.

I'm confused--there are plenty of licensed copies on eBay.  Consider this a preview/question.  What are you talking about, exactly?

20 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm confused--there are plenty of licensed copies on eBay.  Consider this a preview/question.  What are you talking about, exactly?

It could be coincidence but I've never seen a copy at any game store nor convention I've been to. I also only see 4 boxed copies on eBay that aren't PAL A.

11 hours ago, RH said:

11 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

It could be coincidence but I've never seen a copy at any game store nor convention I've been to. I also only see 4 boxed copies on eBay that aren't PAL A.

Are you searching on eBay.com or .ca?  On .ca I've noticed a lot more European items and far fewer US ones lately than on .com, so maybe that's a factor?