IGNORED

Is Wata Guilty of Cultural Appropriation? Racism?

fcgamer

Is Wata Guilty of Racism / Cultural Appropriation  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is Wata Guilty of Racism / Cultural Appropriation

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

So let's take a closer look at things. What percentage of non-white people are sending games into WATA for grading, and then making a mint off of them? 

Yet the company name itself, why are they basing it off of a Jamaican patois word for water? Cultural appropriation? Racism? Grab your pitchforks, let's decide!

All I know is that I'm offended, dammit!

Edited by fcgamer
  • Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 3

Administrator · Posted

@fcgamer @Code Monkey They state openly on their site that the inspo for their name was Bruce Lee: https://www.watagames.com/who-we-are

It's based on this:

So I mean yeah... they're kinda making their name based on the way he says the word, as an Asian man (Chinese American).

Racism? Harmless homage? I mean it clearly comes from a place of respect for the man.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

@fcgamer @Code Monkey They state openly on their site that the inspo for their name was Bruce Lee: https://www.watagames.com/who-we-are

It's based on this:

So I mean yeah... they're kinda making their name based on the way he says the word, as an Asian man (Chinese American).

Racism? Harmless homage? I mean it clearly comes from a place of respect for the man.

Ohh, that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable though, like they're making fun of his pronunciation, whether purposely or not.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Seems pretty incontrovertible to me. 

On a related note, I’m making taco salad for dinner with Goya arroz con gandules.  Feeling uncomfortable. Can’t get the tobacco stains out of these bed sheets either.  

Hopefully they're your tobacco stains?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Seems pretty incontrovertible to me. 

On a related note, I’m making taco salad for dinner with Goya arroz con gandules.  Feeling uncomfortable. Can’t get the tobacco stains out of these bed sheets either.  

I saw taco salad and thought it said Tabasco stains! 😂 I've never eaten a taco salad in bed, but it could probably get messy.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, GPX said:

Racial insensitivity? I don’t think it will bother many except for some living in...I dunno...Taiwan?

But one thing’s for sure, fcgamer isn’t likely to be making BFFs with anyone at WATA.

Well with a relationship as incestuous as theirs, I don't think they'd have room to make bff with an outsider like me 😉

But that's okay, I get all my games graded by Wang's Grading Service, and at least there I can get colorful, nice-smelling cases.

• Haha 3

I chose "Other" because they failed at using the purpose behind Bruce Lee's philosophy. 🤔

The point behind that philosophy is to adapt, change, and grow. CGA, Inc. did it when they started VGA. And CAS is literally the type of grading company Wata claims to be. Which has me say they are guilty of being better at self-marketing than them doing anything else.

Plus, I have to say they are gameists. They claim to grade any game, but let's face it... They are always "too busy" to grade certain games, but still have time to grade anything that can get an immediate reservation. 🤨

• Like 2