IGNORED

Cicadas are coming! Brood X 2021

FireHazard51

Social Team · Posted

Who's ready for the 17 year swarm of cicadas this year?  Cincinnati is going to get hit with the brood X this year.  I vaguely remember them from 17 years ago.  Anyone else remember them or have little ones who will experience them for the first time?

Periodical-CIcada-Map-USDA-FS.jpg

Don't forget get buy your commemorative t-shirt for the event....

Spoiler

broodx3_1500x.progressive.png.jpg?v=1614

I’m Planning on leaving the month they come out. Nasty bugs I can deal with, but the shells are so annoying to clean.

I remember as a kid I use to go in the backyard by our giant oak tree and play with them, I also remember the distinct crunching sound of all their discarded shells from the walk from the car to the house after school.

I also remember getting yelled at for not cleaning myself off and letting one or two come in the house with me.

these you can throw at people. when they are half dead you can pick them up with your pointer and thumb while holding down thier wings... the throwing motion is like softball and release at the perfect point aimed at your enemy. sometimes them suckers fly straight and fast....WHAM... got you friend!!!

C096D414-0EDC-4853-B093-CD1D8DB4DA55.jpeg

Now hold up. Here in NC/SC/GA, these things seem to hatch every couple of  years. This is a common summer bug round here.

I know they have brood hatchings on prime-number years but I thought it was every 7-13 years. Anyway, in 2005 when I lived in Georgia, we had a "super brood" around the time of my wedding, which is two or more broods hatching the same year.

They stay in the trees, so it wasn't gross but it was looooouuuud.

Social Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, RH said:

Now hold up. Here in NC/SC/GA, these things seem to hatch every couple of  years. This is a common summer bug round here.

I know they have brood hatchings on prime-number years but I thought it was every 7-13 years. Anyway, in 2005 when I lived in Georgia, we had a "super brood" around the time of my wedding, which is two or more broods hatching the same year.

Same here in that there is always some cicadas every year.  When that 17 year brood hits though it's 1,000 times worse.  We've had some minor ones hit but nothing horrible.  In fact it five years ago we had a minor one hit.  Pups love it....😛

ACtC-3d8wEizAbrgW7UwwFxuxtAfmivDmz2UbKSw

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

Who's ready for the 17 year swarm of cicadas this year?  Cincinnati is going to get hit with the brood X this year.  I vaguely remember them from 17 years ago.  Anyone else remember them or have little ones who will experience them for the first time?

Periodical-CIcada-Map-USDA-FS.jpg

Don't forget get buy your commemorative t-shirt for the event....

Reveal hidden contents

broodx3_1500x.progressive.png.jpg?v=1614

I'm a little surprised by how sparse the map is for GA -- growing up there, cicadas were WAY more widespread than this seems suggest, and we had at least 3 different brood cycles that I can recall (the 13 year being the one for us that would sound like chainsaws running continuously in the distance)

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I'm a little surprised by how sparse the map is for GA -- growing up there, cicadas were WAY more widespread than this seems suggest, and we had at least 3 different brood cycles that I can recall (the 13 year being the one for us that would sound like chainsaws running continuously in the distance)

Sounds like you could help make the map better.  In fact there is an app to do that!   http://cicadasafari.org/ explains how you can help the research team document the periodical cicada.

2 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Sounds like you could help make the map better.  In fact there is an app to do that!   http://cicadasafari.org/ explains how you can help the research team document the periodical cicada.

Well, I don't live there anymore 😛

But that said -- I don't see ANY of the broods listed for my current area in coastal VA -- and we definitely get cicadas here, as well.

I'll have to ask my local entomologist friend about it -- though they specialize in ticks.

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

these you can throw at people. when they are half dead you can pick them up with your pointer and thumb while holding down thier wings... the throwing motion is like softball and release at the perfect point aimed at your enemy. sometimes them suckers fly straight and fast....WHAM... got you friend!!!

C096D414-0EDC-4853-B093-CD1D8DB4DA55.jpeg

Not much going on around where you are in FL I take it lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RH said:

Those are the annual ones. They emerge in smaller numbers. We had them where I was growing up in the Great Plains (western Kansas/eastern Colorado/Northern Oklahoma.)

The periodical ones are the 13/17 year ones, and they emerge like gamers on a console launch day, and are almost as annoying. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Oh man I'm really close if not in the yellow in Montgomery County MD

edit: according to cicadamania I'm in the zone. 

Monkey County is ground zero for Brood X cicadas; I was there for the last two times. Although with all the construction in the last 20 years, I wonder how much of their habitat has been paved over.

I somehow moved to one of the other states and counties that will be active, according to that map.

10 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Those are the annual ones. They emerge in smaller numbers. We had them where I was growing up in the Great Plains (western Kansas/eastern Colorado/Northern Oklahoma.)

The periodical ones are the 13/17 year ones, and they emerge like gamers on a console launch day, and are almost as annoying. 😛

Pretty sure there are smaller periodic broods on other cycles, as well, and the 13 / 17 year are the biggest ones.

Social Team · Posted
On 3/23/2021 at 10:47 AM, TDIRunner said:

As a kid, I got so used to the sound of these, that I didn't even really hear them unless someone (usually an out-of-towner) brought it up.  

This is a common psychological effect.  Some crazy studies have shown if things don't change they will disappear from your senses, including visual.  This is why the eyes are always moving so the image is never the same for long.  Troxler Fading  Crazy effect that also applies to your other senses.   Quick fun test, stare at the cross and watch as the color around the image disappears and becomes white.

Troxler-Effekt.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2021 at 11:46 AM, FireHazard51 said:

This is a common psychological effect.  Some crazy studies have shown if things don't change they will disappear from your senses, including visual.  This is why the eyes are always moving so the image is never the same for long.  Troxler Fading  Crazy effect that also applies to your other senses.   Quick fun test, stare at the cross and watch as the color around the image disappears and becomes white.

Troxler-Effekt.jpg

This must be why I get drowsy behind the wheel on long highway trips