IGNORED

Cicadas are coming! Brood X 2021

FireHazard51

On 3/22/2021 at 12:33 PM, FireHazard51 said:

Who's ready for the 17 year swarm of cicadas this year?  Cincinnati is going to get hit with the brood X this year.  I vaguely remember them from 17 years ago.  Anyone else remember them or have little ones who will experience them for the first time?

Periodical-CIcada-Map-USDA-FS.jpg

Don't forget get buy your commemorative t-shirt for the event....

Reveal hidden contents

broodx3_1500x.progressive.png.jpg?v=1614

They were awful in 1987. I remember my mom leaving her car windows down one night because it was hot and the next morning her car was full of dead cicadas. It was crazy.

Some of the cicadas are gonna be doped up. There's an interesting parasitic fungus that infects them and releases psilocybin and the amphetamine cathinone into their system. 

"Infected cicadas behave strangely. Despite their horrific injuries, males become hyperactive and hypersexual. They frenetically try to mate with anything they can find, including with other males."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/07/massospora-parasite-drugs-its-hosts/566324/

Edited by galacticlint

On 5/26/2021 at 7:42 PM, Tulpa said:

How noisy is it?

Ive been able to hear them for the last few days if not a week. The first day I heard it I was walking around the neighborhood trying to figure out what the hell the noise was. It's like a belt on someones engine squealing but like off in the distance. 

Edited by a3quit4s

On 3/22/2021 at 2:36 PM, arch_8ngel said:

Well, I don't live there anymore 😛

But that said -- I don't see ANY of the broods listed for my current area in coastal VA -- and we definitely get cicadas here, as well.

I'll have to ask my local entomologist friend about it -- though they specialize in ticks.

It seems like we get some here every year as well in south central PA. 

• Like 1