IGNORED

Console Debate #20 Playstation 3

fox

How do you rate PS3?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate PS3?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

On 3/21/2021 at 9:51 AM, Estil said:

Really?  I find it quite rewarding to get a trophy pop-up...or the old fashioned kind of stars/badges/icons/etc you'd get for achievements in Nintendo or Sega or PS1/PS2 games.  They didn't take THAT long though to let you opt out of trophy pop ups did they?

I find them obtrusive, loathesome, just obnoxious. And I got the PS3 when Circuit City failed in 2008 when they started having the systems for like 30-40% off and got a few games and upgraded cables.  I know for at least a year I put up with it.  Sometime into or with the first hardware revision from fat to slim they made the ability to disable the notifications happen.  So for awhile, you'd have these dumb boxes pop up in dramatic scenes, like the played out rendered stuff FF13 did and so on, and it just broke the immersion much like an old flash based pop up/out box on an old website would drive people nuts.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So for awhile, you'd have these dumb boxes pop up in dramatic scenes, like the played out rendered stuff FF13 did and so on, and it just broke the immersion much like an old flash based pop up/out box on an old website would drive people nuts.

Oh I know kinda what you mean, in the 2000s decade (especially) there was a MAJOR problem with during a TV show they'd have these HUGE annoying animated graphics take up to 1/3 of the whole screen advertising one of their other shows!  What, the regular commercial time isn't good enough? 😞  Chopping up the rerun for syndication to fit more commercials isn't enough? 😞 

And you guys wonder why I very seldom use traditional TV anymore, or why so many are "cord cutting"...there's just way too many better alternatives now.

I really liked the PS3. I didn't use mine much, because I got it in 2015 on clearance, well after it was dead. I could see myself loving the thing if I had gotten it when it was current. All those crazy extra features really appeal to me, even now. The idea of having a device that I could hook up to my TV and be used to play local video files is still really cool, if incredibly useless.

I never used mine to play anything aside from PS1 games, because most PS3 games don't actually appeal to me. That's why I rated it a 6. As a device to play games? Not interested. As a cool piece of tech? sign me up.

This was the era in gaming where I realized I preferred NES games over contemporary stuff.  A view that I still mostly hold today. I really like the Switch and the PS4 is only just now starting to win me over despite having one for like 5 years.

Edited by Jono1874

It took awhile for Sony to get cooking with the PS3, but once they did, they put out some real bangers.

3D Dot Game Heroes
Demon's Souls
God of War Series
Infamous Series
Motorstorm Series
Twisted Metal
Last Of Us
Yakuza Series

These have aged rather well and it is a system I have gone back to again in recent time and still enjoyed.

34 minutes ago, fox said:

It took awhile for Sony to get cooking with the PS3

That's a good point that I sometimes forget about.  The PS3 was the only Sony home console that wasn't a big hit on day 1.  It really took a while for it to pickup.  For a short while, many thought it might actually be a sales flop, but that didn't last all that long.  

On the flip side, it was also the most expensive and most advanced (compared to prior gen) Sony console to ever be released.  

Speaking of PS3 the store on the system is shutting down July 2 along with PSP's and PS Vita. 

https://www.polygon.com/22345099/ps3-ps-vita-psp-playstation-store-shutting-down-closes

This yet again highlights why I despise a digital gaming future. I'm worried that one day the patches to play even physical discs will cease to exist rendering an entire physical catalog unplayable. 

2 minutes ago, AstralSoul said:

Speaking of PS3 the store on the system is shutting down July 2 along with PSP's and PS Vita. 

https://www.polygon.com/22345099/ps3-ps-vita-psp-playstation-store-shutting-down-closes

This yet again highlights why I despise a digital gaming future. I'm worried that one day the patches to play even physical discs will cease to exist rendering an entire physical catalog unplayable. 

While your point is completely valid and I share your despise for digital gaming, I believe that long term, there will be enough of a community to work on and create their own patches to fix these things in the future long after Sony has abandoned it.  I don't believe most of these games will become completely unplayable.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AstralSoul said:

I mean, I get your point, but there'll always be cracks and hacks and mods and private servers etc. etc. to service all these older consoles into the future. You may not be able to play exactly as originally intended, or officially sanctioned, but there will always be ways to play these games.

5 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

You can patch games offline already via CFW

Polls are closed but I'd give it a solid 7.

This has been mentionned before but I feel like the PS3's generation is really where everything sort of meshes together, where every AAA game is either a multiplayer FPS or a sandbox-action-rpg-shooting-driving-platformer. Too few mainstream games actually exhibit specific genres.

I guess I miss the times where limited technology meant developpers had to take a more focused creative direction and run with it.

This being said:

I had sort of stepped out of gaming by the time gen 7 came around and a quick session of Rock Band on a friend's PS3 brought me back. Not that RB was the first of its kind, nor was it exclusive to the PS3 but it's where I played it and boy did I play it. It was a natural choice for me to grab a PS3 for that purpose.

The console is still hooked up to a TV at my house. I was fortunate to unknowingly buy the model that's fully backwards compatible so it's quite an important piece of my setup. And if it breaks down on me I'll fix or replace it asap.

1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I had sort of stepped out of gaming by the time gen 7 came around and a quick session of Rock Band on a friend's PS3 brought me back. Not that RB was the first of its kind, nor was it exclusive to the PS3 but it's where I played it and boy did I play it. It was a natural choice for me to grab a PS3 for that purpose.

When I bought my first PS3, I also bought Rock Band along with it.  Funny thing is that with the PS3 store shutting down, it got me looking into my old downloads, and I found that I never bothered to redownload all of my old Rock Band song purchases onto my newer model PS3.  I must have bought about 40 songs back in the day and I made sure to get those installed on my current PS3.  It's got me wanting to get the old guitar out and play them again.  

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

When I bought my first PS3, I also bought Rock Band along with it.  Funny thing is that with the PS3 store shutting down, it got me looking into my old downloads, and I found that I never bothered to redownload all of my old Rock Band song purchases onto my newer model PS3.  I must have bought about 40 songs back in the day and I made sure to get those installed on my current PS3.  It's got me wanting to get the old guitar out and play them again.  

One of the better uses of purchasable content ever. And a hackproof method for bands to get money. I remember thinking that RB and GH should be straight up release platforms for musicians.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

I remember being super hyped at launch for this thing. I had an Xbox 360 so I didnt get one right away. But I just remember there being a lot of interesting ideas at launch. Anyone remember the sixaxis controller and being able to throw enemies in heavenly sword and controlling them with the motion? Or that card game eye of judgement that used the playstation eye? Or lair where you could control a dragon with six axis?

I know motion controls were a fad at this point but there was some really dumb, awesome stuff that came out of it.

Also Im pretty sure a lot of these gimmicks didn't work particularly well but they had a lot of charm to them.

• 3 weeks later...