IGNORED

Movie Debate #59: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. An easy recommendation.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Editorials Team · Posted

*shrug*

Don't know what to tell you.  I have never once felt she was detracting from the movie.  If I said otherwise, I'd be lying to myself and succumbing to groupthink.

Or maybe I have a high tolerance for such things.  I've also never felt that the Ewoks "ruined" Return of the Jedi.  

Or maybe some people are just pansies 😏 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

*shrug*

Don't know what to tell you.  I have never once felt she was detracting from the movie.  If I said otherwise, I'd be lying to myself and succumbing to groupthink.

Or maybe I have a high tolerance for such things.  I've also never felt that the Ewoks "ruined" Return of the Jedi.  

Or maybe some people are just pansies 😏 😁

You must just have a higher tolerance for shrieking hysterical women than I do.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Willie is the Jar Jar Binks of the Indiana Jones universe.

According to nerds on the internet, actually Jar Jar Binks is the Jar Jar Binks of the Indiana Jones universe!

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/12172/are-star-wars-and-indiana-jones-the-same-universe#:~:text=Yes%2C they are in the,are in the same Universe.

2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

According to nerds on the internet, actually Jar Jar Binks is the Jar Jar Binks of the Indiana Jones universe!

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/12172/are-star-wars-and-indiana-jones-the-same-universe#:~:text=Yes%2C they are in the,are in the same Universe.

So Crystal Skull was his fault? I could see that.

20 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm sure you've seen this? That's a deconstruction if I ever saw one (just skip over the "comedy" bits)

Personally I enjoyed Crystal Skull well enough in the theater. I didn't think it was great, definitely not on the level of the classic Indy movies, and not even Temple of Doom either, but enjoyable.
The dynamic with Indy's son worked surprisingly well, and I think he did a good job as supporting actor. Other things worked a lot less well, and the overall plot completely lacked any kind of spark or attachment. Could have been a lot better, but it could have been a lot worse too.

No I haven't, and quite honestly not going to bother.  I've seen so many bullshit arguments since it came out from blow hard know it all, and most of it just doesn't stick.  I'll give on the CGI bits, some of them are not that great, and out of sync with the franchise given the others didn't use it(not that they really could.)  But mostly the bullshit ripping on the 50s style scenes, moments, elements.  It's crap dumping on them all for being wrong.  The franchise whether it's the 3 movies, or the Young Indy stuff from other decades, whatever the macguffin is, or strange angle, or how it is shot, is done in the popular style, elements, media, interests of the period.  The 50s stuff just fits, commies, greasers/jocks, the scifi cheese, etc.  Sure it has some fantasy bullshit moments, like the fridge and cgi monkey stupidity, but hey...the others have those terrible moments too and they get a pass because 'they're classics' as it seems that appears to be the excuse to forgive those.  I really don't want to derail this, I"m sure the movie will pop up at some rate and I can go into it then. 😄

Personally I'd put the movie on par with temple of doom, not as cool or in sync with the nazi duo, but it's not a bad movie, no worse than temple of doom...not better either.

Well, you asked for people to deconstruct the movie instead of superficially following suit. And then, being pointed to such a deconstruction, you active choose to ignore it, and assume it's something it is not just for the sake of preserving the same argument. 😛 

That video is surprisingly constructive and fair, despite the annoying attempts at being funny interpersed throughout it. It doesn't even hate that much on the movie as such. It recognizes a lot of things that are fine with it, and tries to find the exact missteps that caused it to fail at resonating with so many people.

Like I said, I enjoyed Crystal Skull well enough, and I still recognized everything pointed out in video movie as flaws.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Personally I'd put the movie on par with temple of doom, not as cool or in sync with the nazi duo, but it's not a bad movie, no worse than temple of doom...not better either.

I enjoyed it in the theater, because any Indiana Jones experience in the theater is pure fun.

But it is definitely worse than Temple of Doom, IMO.

Temple of Doom still has the benefit of practical effects -- and personally, I think it gives a better treatment to exotic mysticism in an adventure setting than Crystal Skull manages to do with its aliens.

9 My first Indy pic.  also the first one I had the ability to watch repeatedly.  Watched it a few years ago for the first time in probably 20 years and it seemed so exotic....  The dark nature of the plot and the horror elements were really intriguing as a kid and it really hasn't lost anything over time in my opinion.  Willie and Shortround always made me laugh although if it were real life I'd probably have tossed Willie out of the plane right away... The bridge scene was a total mind blower and is perhaps the most badass Indy scene of all time.

The script writers also wrote, produced and directed an absolute knockout back in 1973 with "Messiah Of Evil" which I feel like recommending for some reason...

moe.png