IGNORED

Console Debate #17 Sega Dreamcast

fox

How do you rate Sega Dreamcast?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Sega Dreamcast?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/12/2021 at 09:00 PM

7/10. 

I felt bad for getting a N64 and a PSX and not a Saturn in their generation even if Virtua Fighter 2 was my absolute favorite so when the Dreamcast was announced I knew I had to have it to play VF3, which was going to be superior in every way to VF2, right? Right.

The system ended up being sort of a bust for me, I was huge into adventure games and RPGs so all the arcade ports felt somewhat shallow and I ended up getting a PS2 shortly after it launched. The lure of GTA games on PS2 and the backwards compatibility with my PSX rpgs was too strong.

All things said I like the Dreamcast better today than I did then, but I can’t see myself playing much of it.

Those who burn twice as bright burn twice as quick.  None more than the Dreamcast, who had a great run cut short.

It had one foot in the past, building on that great Sega arcade and console legacy, while having one foot in the future pushing 3D gaming and online play.

Amazing library of games.  Some of the best fighters of all time: Soul Calibur, MVC2, Third Strike, Mark of the Wolves.  Classic rpgs like Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online.  Unique Sega joints like Get Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Seaman, and Shenmue.

Sega looked like they had made a comeback, but the Dream was over too soon.

• Sad 1

I really enjoyed a few of the games on release (house of the dead, soul calibur) but it just kind of died out with a wimper. Today I'm not sure I would ever play it again, but I can't say I never would.

I'm going to be generous and take pity on it because I do think it got screwed by the idiots running sega back in the late 90s.

6/10.

The timing on this one wasn't great... right on the heels of botched execution on the 32x and Saturn, faith and goodwill in SEGA was already running low. A lot of people were unwilling to give it a chance, because they were afraid to be stuck backing another losing horse. Dreamcast had the potential to be their next winner, but unfortunately it was soon overshadowed by the juggernaut that was the PS2. More than a few killer games on here though: a flawless SoulCalibur port, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, and a lot of cult favorites like Shenmue, Seaman, Space Channel 5... it was just really the timing... a bad time to be the weakest of the 6th console generation...

The Dreamcast is a very unique platform. Absolutely awesome with its arcade quality conversions, I think where it’s failed is in the marketing area and the lack of trust of fans of jumping on board with so many Sega consoles produced back in the mid-to-late 90s (and failed). The ship was sinking by the time Dreamcast rolled out, but certainly not due to lack of quality games.

Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur and Marvel vs Capcom games were some of my past faves. Probably one of the best consoles for pure arcade lovers. I can see it being average for the rest.