IGNORED

Movie Debate #57: The Departed

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Rate "The Departed"

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.
  2. 2. Rate "Infernal Affairs"

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Editorials Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Love The Depahted. I could list’n to the actaws tawk all funny like all day. I can’t imagine Internal Affairs giving me that same enjoyment, but I gotta see it. Also the title card is like 17m into the movie which is fantastic.

Moderator · Posted

8/10- solid flick in a good year in cinema. Much better than the previous years Best Picture winner, Crash, which was arguably the weakest winner in history, but not as strong as other movies that it could have gone to. My personal pick would’ve been Children of Men, or even The Prestige.

Haven’t seen the original. 

Homebrew Team · Posted

I prefer Infernal Affairs over The Departed.  I can't remember which one I saw first.  This may be an opinion not shared by many, but I walked away from The Departed thinking that was an okay movie.  However really enjoyed Infernal Affairs.   

The next time Infernal Affairs pops up on your streaming app or you come across a copy, give it a try.  Like many movies that have been remade, I think you should watch them as independent from each other.  Otherwise you'll compare the second movie you watch as that wasn't X the entire time you are watching it. 

That said, I agree with what @fox mentioned.  Something was lost when it was remade as The Departed. 

• Thanks 1