IGNORED

Do new US COVID checks mean round 2 of price hikes?

No stimulus checks going to boom the game prices again??  

26 members have voted

1. 1. No stimulus checks going to boom the game prices again??

• Oh yeeaa brother.
    • No way Jose.
    • Games will actually continue to lose value.

The last round of checks mixed with record levels of cabin fever sent the collectables market sky rocketing. Now with this round 2 of COVID check, will prices continue past their record highs they saw last year?

I think they will for a couple reasons. One main reason is because now children and dependants who are working are eligible for the 💰 That means that every YouTube and Reddit obsessed baby boy and girl will have $1400 to blow through on what they desire most. This alone could pump thousands of sales the first day the stimulus checks hit. It's basically Christmas for these kids rounds two.

I haven't seen any confirmation but I heard talk of those eligible to receive the stimulus check may even get $300 a month extra if they have children under a certain age.

Whatchu think VGS? Another explosion on the way or will things continue falling back to Earff?

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'm still waiting for the $600 check so...

If you didn’t get it you can claim it on your taxes and either get it then or use it against any money owed. It’s a credit not a deduction 

edit: wait don’t you live in Taiwan? We trying to stimulate the US economy not the Taiwan bootleg back ally famicom market 😍

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

If you didn’t get it you can claim it on your taxes and either get it then or use it against any money owed. It’s a credit not a deduction 

edit: wait don’t you live in Taiwan? We trying to stimulate the US economy not the Taiwan bootleg back ally famicom market 😍

Hey dude, I pay taxes to Uncle Sam just as much as you do, and during this pandemic, I also need relief. 🙂

In all seriousness, I don't qualify for any relief from the Taiwanense government, so if my own country didn't offer me relief, I'd literally get nothing. 

Edited by fcgamer

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Hey dude, I pay taxes to Uncle Sam just as much as you do, and during this pandemic, I also need relief. 🙂

In all seriousness, I don't qualify for any relief from the Taiwanense government, so if my own country didn't offer me relief, I'd literally get nothing. 

TurboTax asked me if I got my stimulus and confirmed both amounts were correct in case you are using tax software 

• Thanks 1

Probably I guess. The craziest price increases in sports and Pokemans can’t be stimulus money, so whether cabin fever or what there’s more than a few hundred free Uncle Sam bucks to the bubble. Hopefully the people buying $10,000 Charizards and GTAs are not on incomes where they’re getting government checks.

• Like 2

Oh come on, is there any doubt?

Sharks already smell blood.  Have you seen the formerly un(or lightly) molested consoles and handhelds lately?  Ever since the talk of cash got thrown around in December stuff people paid little or or not much at all, up to the more specific sought after goodies have gone up like 2-4x over.  I'm thinking gameboy/color here, but it's also with quite a few other second, third tier and handheld stuff that usually gets blown off and it's infuriating.

It's going to be a 2020 re-run of the same perfect storm of shitty behavior with flowing cash.  Stimulus money + tax refund season + paranoid types still saying home == Trifecta for abuses.

You know it hit the fan when games that used to sell for a dollar or two, where the shipping was twice the price of the game are now going for like $10 things have gone off the deep end.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

It depends on whether we end in deflation.

I think that what we are seeing with collectibles in general is just the natural effects of inflation. It’s just that it’s not hitting every category of goods at the same level and at the same time. Prices for other goods like food will probably follow. More stimulus money will accelerate inflation. 

Do we just keep getting more inflation or are we gonna see a deflationary crash?

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

God I hope not. Probably yeah but... like...

The games I am looking for are already too expensive lol.

Good on you then.  I decided a good year or so back I was going to settle one some brand and go with it for classic fun, and it was Gameboy which made it through 2020 unscathed.  Now I'm getting hot about it seeing these prices and just not buying things I would have 2 months ago.  I refuse to take it on the nose watching a 99 cent game going for $10 and a $10 game going for $40.  That's not natural, it's not inflation, it's nothing but downright try hard seller scammers trying to set new heights.  it's wack too, if you check ebay sold history and order them from new to old, look back to November and earlier, BOOM!

I said no because no one seems to care about corona anymore. Which means people will move back to trading in games and buying in person. Stimulus checks will be spent on all sorts of stuff. I don’t think most people are chucking all or any of it at video games, especially older ones. I think the fad came and went last summer when people wanted to buy and play older games. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shmup said:

I don't know if it will increase game values, but I do think all this printing and cheques will continue to deflate your currency. I wouldn't be surprised if the AUD and CAD become more valuable than the USD again. Like what happened in 2010-13, those were great importing days, bring it on!

Hey don’t put it all on us.. US and Canada share the same used retro game market..

Yea lots of money creation went into the stock market, but as for the general populace, didn’t Canada get pretty similar COVID relief checks to US when adjusted for currency rates.

25 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Hey don’t put it all on us.. US and Canada share the same used retro game market..

Yea lots of money creation went into the stock market, but as for the general populace, didn’t Canada get pretty similar COVID relief checks to US when adjusted for currency rates.

True about the retro market, I just meant more general importing things.

Like a new Switch game comes out. If the AUD hits parity with the USD again then it will be much cheaper for me to import the game then buy it local.

Which I guess is sort of good for the US economy (more people buying goods) but bad for the citizens because their purchasing power will be less. Which could be a small reason retro games have increased. People trying to store value in hard assets.

17 hours ago, Shmup said:

I don't know if it will increase game values, but I do think all this printing and cheques will continue to deflate your currency. I wouldn't be surprised if the AUD and CAD become more valuable than the USD again. Like what happened in 2010-13, those were great importing days, bring it on!

I don't think I'd get my hopes too high about AUD/CAD - USD parity unless there is a big oil price boom or some other natural-resource-driven boom in AUD or CAD that the USD doesn't capitalize on.

The original QE during the GFC/Great Recession caused a big currency scare that led to a global drop in the USD -- but there have been numerous rounds of QE since that time with no similar move of the needle, since I think everybody figured out that it didn't actually cause the inflation that everybody feared/expected.

This time around, while the US has pumped out the largest stimulus programs in absolute terms -- we have been far from the "most generous" in terms of direct payments to citizens, so it's a situation of "if all developed countries printing money simultaneously, do they move relative to each other?"...

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

I don't think I'd get my hopes too high about AUD/CAD - USD parity unless there is a big oil price boom or some other natural-resource-driven boom in AUD or CAD that the USD doesn't capitalize on.

The original QE during the GFC/Great Recession caused a big currency scare that led to a global drop in the USD -- but there have been numerous rounds of QE since that time with no similar move of the needle, since I think everybody figured out that it didn't actually cause the inflation that everybody feared/expected.

This time around, while the US has pumped out the largest stimulus programs in absolute terms -- we have been far from the "most generous" in terms of direct payments to citizens, so it's a situation of "if all developed countries printing money simultaneously, do they move relative to each other?"...

Maybe something happens when covid restrictions are lifted and people feel safe vacationing again. All the baby boomers retirement savings have been getting pumped up. When things open back up, maybe they’ll be wanting to spend some of that money back into circulation all at the same time. 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by phart010

21 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Maybe something happens when covid restrictions are lifted and people feel safe vacationing again. All the baby boomers retirement savings have been getting pumped up. When things open back up, maybe they’ll be wanting to spend some of that money back into circulation all at the same time. 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The point was that this time around, stimulus has been taking place globally, so there isn't really a clear-cut case for expecting US dollar to drop relative to AUD or CAD in the same way that went along with the initial reactions to the GFC (where the original big blast of stimulus was US-centric to unstick financial markets while European countries were all talking about austerity measures instead)

Also that period was coupled with fairly high oil prices, which is a big component of AUD and CAD.

EDIT: not to say there won't be relative winners and losers, or that inflation won't take place globally -- but the global stimulus efforts, right out of the gate, during the pandemic do make this different from the initial response to the GFC

Edited by arch_8ngel