IGNORED

Oh the Humanity Thread (stupid things people do)

And seriously, I have family there, they have some shit rules that'll get you fired for trying to stop a robber because they don't want liability, but security doesn't exist, so that TSA guard, what's his excuse?!  How about anyone else.  Dude was on a bike, could have tackled his ass and probably done some damage having him fold under his own bike into the rack.  That's just disgusting getting away like that.

Edited by Tanooki

18 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

And seriously, I have family there, they have some shit rules that'll get you fired for trying to stop a robber because they don't want liability, but security doesn't exist, so that TSA guard, what's his excuse?!  How about anyone else.  Dude was on a bike, could have tackled his ass and probably done some damage having him fold under his own bike into the rack.  That's just disgusting getting away like that.

If you closely at the guard's patch he is actually a TS4* guard - which is a private security company.  If he is working under contract to Walgreens then he likely has very specific instructions on things he mostly can't do.  I think SF is one of those jurisdictions who have downgraded small amounts of shoplifting to the point where they do not prosecute it.  Which leaves nothing but liability for stores  if things go tits up (no matter who is at fault).

.*If he was a TSA guard he would have no jurisdiction - they can't make arrests even at airports and rely on local police (or other enforcement agencies) to do that.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 7:48 PM, Tabonga said:

Reopening the Dry Tortugas is looking better all of the time.

You almost can't blame the thieves when they have it this good!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/san-francisco-apos-shoplifting-spike-211102553.html

"What [city officials] are doing, they are just promoting this crime. Promoting people to do more, because $950, or $1,000 or $2,000, it doesn't matter — they get away with it," Haydari said.

Enterprising thieves have figured out there are few consequences to shoplifting if they keep the value of their crimes below $950." Walgreens has closed 17 stores in the past five years specifically because of shoplifting. CVS has shuttered at least two outlets, calling San Francisco "the epicenter of organized retail crime."

"That which at one time was a felony, has now been reduced to a misdemeanor. And now the misdemeanor is not being enforced or for that matter, the police won't even take a police report because it happens so often. It's those laws have been taken off the books and the criminals know it."

43 minutes ago, avatar! said:

You almost can't blame the thieves when they have it this good!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/san-francisco-apos-shoplifting-spike-211102553.html

"What [city officials] are doing, they are just promoting this crime. Promoting people to do more, because $950, or $1,000 or $2,000, it doesn't matter — they get away with it," Haydari said.

Enterprising thieves have figured out there are few consequences to shoplifting if they keep the value of their crimes below $950." Walgreens has closed 17 stores in the past five years specifically because of shoplifting. CVS has shuttered at least two outlets, calling San Francisco "the epicenter of organized retail crime."

"That which at one time was a felony, has now been reduced to a misdemeanor. And now the misdemeanor is not being enforced or for that matter, the police won't even take a police report because it happens so often. It's those laws have been taken off the books and the criminals know it."

This apparently has gotten so blatant that the word shoplifting* doesn't seem adequate for what is going on.  I suppose the next step will be asking the clerks to help them load the swag in their bags. 

I read in another article that there are outdoor street markets in SF where one can buy all sorts of stolen goods lifted from retail stores.

*Shoplifters used to have to try to be discreet.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:46 PM, Tabonga said:

This apparently has gotten so blatant that the word shoplifting* doesn't seem adequate for what is going on.  I suppose the next step will be asking the clerks to help them load the swag in their bags. 

I read in another article that there are outdoor street markets in SF where one can buy all sorts of stolen goods lifted from retail stores.

I heard from someone that his has been going on for a long time, it's just making the news now. Also, in NYC

Charges dropped for hundreds of alleged looters in New York City

"I was in total shock that everything is being brushed off to the side," said Jessica Betancourt, who owns an eyeglass shop that was looted and destroyed along Burnside Avenue in the Bronx last June.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/charges-dropped-hundreds-alleged-looters-new-york-city-n1271349

Screenshot-from-2021-06-22-02-40-19.png

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/philippines-1-2-million-smuggled-car-destruction-mclaren-620r-1234620385/

“The condemnation of the vehicles is pursuant to Presidential Directive 2017-447, in which President Rodrigo Roa Duterte reiterated the need to destroy smuggled vehicles to send the strong message that the government is serious in its efforts against smuggling,”

That's the Duterte way, smash it to bits... because, it would be silly to you know, sell something valuable in say a government auction to raise money for goods and services to the people - can't have that! 😕

There's a pair of middle-aged handymen who work at the school where I teach. They're nice people, double as the bus drivers, but everytime they come into the room to repair something, I totally expect circus music to play, as their performance and mannerisms remind me so much of a comedic circus act, their competency about as high as Bebop and Rocksteady from the turtles. 

One day, my colleague was in the middle of teaching a lesson and the one worker came in, dragging a ladder with him. He walked over to my colleague's desk, which was positioned next to an extra door into the classroom, which wasn't used anymore. Over that desk hung a lit up exit sign, so the maintenance man too out a pair of cutters, and just snapped the live cables, then and there, made a loud popping sound and scared all the kids. Sparks flew and stained the wall. 

How dumb can you be?

8 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Yeah, DO NOT DEFUND THE POLICE ...which if you read it, they did, by what was it 18 1/2 million and it took a security guard with a gun to run them off, on government grounds, with an official.  And already half the year over they're at double the homicide rate too.  Hmm...what ever could be the problem?

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah, DO NOT DEFUND THE POLICE ...which if you read it, they did, by what was it 18 1/2 million and it took a security guard with a gun to run them off, on government grounds, with an official.  And already half the year over they're at double the homicide rate too.  Hmm...what ever could be the problem?

I just found the irony of robbing a news  crew while they were filming a violence prevention official to be extremely rich.

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, Tabonga said:

The merriment is continuing........

https://news.yahoo.com/target-closing-san-francisco-stores-170500607.html