IGNORED

Oh the Humanity Thread (stupid things people do)

A student persuaded by his friend to get his legs amputated for a $1.3 million insurance scam wound up getting only $7,200 that he now has to return

https://www.yahoo.com/news/student-persuaded-friend-legs-amputated-071127189.html

The 23-year-old, identified only by his last name Zhang, plunged his feet in a bucket of dry ice for over 10 hours to get them so badly frostbitten that he would need a double amputation, the Taiwan Criminal Investigation Bureau said in a Thursday release. The bureau said a friend of Zhang's from high school, identified only as Liao, persuaded him to carry out the insurance scam.

"As Taiwan is a subtropical region, cases of severe frostbite requiring amputation are unheard of due to natural climatic conditions," the bureau said in a statement. Zhang's legs were amputated below the calf due to his frostbite injuries, but his case was reported to the authorities, per prosecutors.

Mixed Martial Arts Wtf GIF by UFC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, avatar! said:

A student persuaded by his friend to get his legs amputated for a $1.3 million insurance scam wound up getting only $7,200 that he now has to return

https://www.yahoo.com/news/student-persuaded-friend-legs-amputated-071127189.html

The 23-year-old, identified only by his last name Zhang, plunged his feet in a bucket of dry ice for over 10 hours to get them so badly frostbitten that he would need a double amputation, the Taiwan Criminal Investigation Bureau said in a Thursday release. The bureau said a friend of Zhang's from high school, identified only as Liao, persuaded him to carry out the insurance scam.

"As Taiwan is a subtropical region, cases of severe frostbite requiring amputation are unheard of due to natural climatic conditions," the bureau said in a statement. Zhang's legs were amputated below the calf due to his frostbite injuries, but his case was reported to the authorities, per prosecutors.

Mixed Martial Arts Wtf GIF by UFC

He obviously can't sue since he doesn't have a leg to stand on.....

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1

• 4 weeks later...

Facebook wrongly labels photographs of Auschwitz victims as showing ‘bullying’ and ‘nudity’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/15/facebook-wrongly-labelled-photographs-auschwitz-victims/

Screenshot-from-2024-04-16-17-49-03.png

The social media giant incorrectly labelled 20 of the Auschwitz Memorial Museum’s posts with a note saying they had been moved down their feed for violating community standards.

The posts, which showed photographs of people who died in the concentration camp in Poland, were flagged as showing “bullying and harassment” and “adult nudity and sexual activity”. An image showing a group of orphans was also deleted.

Museum staff said they had been posting photographs of Auschwitz victims “for years” before Facebook said they were violating standards.

One post showing Ida Mullerová, a Czech Jewish woman who died at Auschwitz, was said to go against “community standards for sexual solicitation”. Another post showing victim Marie Sachnowitz, a Norwegian Jewish woman murdered in a gas chamber, was said to show “adult nudity and sexual activity”. Facebook also said an image of Berek Anataba, a Polish Jewish man who died at the camp, showed “bullying and harassment”, while a photograph of Jewish orphans in Izieu, France, was removed for violating unspecified community standards.

Screenshot-from-2024-04-16-17-42-53.png

“For years, the Auschwitz Memorial has been sharing similar content without any issues, yet suddenly, 21 posts are simultaneously flagged. “Moreover, we also noticed that a post commemorating the tragic fate of Jewish children from an orphanage in Izieu from April 6 was summarily removed without the possibility of recourse. “This egregious incident not only undermines the important work of our institution. Such an act is unacceptable and offensive to the memory of the victims of Auschwitz that we try to preserve. “The posts in question feature nothing but respectful remembrance and historical documentation, showcasing the faces and biographical information of those who suffered and were murdered in a place that symbolises one of the darkest chapters of human history.

I don't think it's just AI that does this. Someone programs the AI and/or people can go flag pictures etc -- yeah, sad, but is anyone surprised by this?

• Angry 1

3 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Facebook wrongly labels photographs of Auschwitz victims as showing ‘bullying’ and ‘nudity’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/15/facebook-wrongly-labelled-photographs-auschwitz-victims/

Screenshot-from-2024-04-16-17-49-03.png

The social media giant incorrectly labelled 20 of the Auschwitz Memorial Museum’s posts with a note saying they had been moved down their feed for violating community standards.

The posts, which showed photographs of people who died in the concentration camp in Poland, were flagged as showing “bullying and harassment” and “adult nudity and sexual activity”. An image showing a group of orphans was also deleted.

Museum staff said they had been posting photographs of Auschwitz victims “for years” before Facebook said they were violating standards.

One post showing Ida Mullerová, a Czech Jewish woman who died at Auschwitz, was said to go against “community standards for sexual solicitation”. Another post showing victim Marie Sachnowitz, a Norwegian Jewish woman murdered in a gas chamber, was said to show “adult nudity and sexual activity”. Facebook also said an image of Berek Anataba, a Polish Jewish man who died at the camp, showed “bullying and harassment”, while a photograph of Jewish orphans in Izieu, France, was removed for violating unspecified community standards.

Screenshot-from-2024-04-16-17-42-53.png

“For years, the Auschwitz Memorial has been sharing similar content without any issues, yet suddenly, 21 posts are simultaneously flagged. “Moreover, we also noticed that a post commemorating the tragic fate of Jewish children from an orphanage in Izieu from April 6 was summarily removed without the possibility of recourse. “This egregious incident not only undermines the important work of our institution. Such an act is unacceptable and offensive to the memory of the victims of Auschwitz that we try to preserve. “The posts in question feature nothing but respectful remembrance and historical documentation, showcasing the faces and biographical information of those who suffered and were murdered in a place that symbolises one of the darkest chapters of human history.

I don't think it's just AI that does this. Someone programs the AI and/or people can go flag pictures etc -- yeah, sad, but is anyone surprised by this?

Some people are just morally bankrupt.  This smacks of Holocaust revisionism.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Snopes has been improving its image as of late - they now cover stuff on a much wider spectrum than they used to.  They covered this recent fabricated malign bit of ''history":

https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-posts-claim-saying-155000707.html

Gotta wonder who comes up with these falsifications? Would not surprise me one bit if it's Russia or a similar actor -- anything they can do to sow discord they will.

12 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Gotta wonder who comes up with these falsifications? Would not surprise me one bit if it's Russia or a similar actor -- anything they can do to sow discord they will.

It could well have been someone just puliing someone's chain and they took it seriously and passed it on.

I doubt it was some foreign actor as it is too easily disproved.

Oops.   

https://news.yahoo.com/california-woman-bought-vacant-lot-175640970.html.  

While the woman is being kinda weird about this "special" lot right next to another one a simple exchange is not a good answer.  The company that build the house is totally in the wrong.  They need to offer a pot of cash in addition to  the lot exchange - what that amount is I don't know.  But tearing down a new house is really stupid.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Oops.   

https://news.yahoo.com/california-woman-bought-vacant-lot-175640970.html.  

While the woman is being kinda weird about this "special" lot right next to another one a simple exchange is not a good answer.  The company that build the house is totally in the wrong.  They need to offer a pot of cash in addition to  the lot exchange - what that amount is I don't know.  But tearing down a new house is really stupid.

Tearing down a new house is stupid, but the company isn't concerned about the stupidity of it, rather they are just looking at it from the economical side.  I'd love to see the company incur such costs. I've seen other stories where stuff like this happened, and I'd be pissed.

4 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Tearing down a new house is stupid, but the company isn't concerned about the stupidity of it, rather they are just looking at it from the economical side.  I'd love to see the company incur such costs. I've seen other stories where stuff like this happened, and I'd be pissed.

There is always the reverse - some one comes home to their now non-existent home - which has been demolished by mistake.

7 hours ago, Tabonga said:

There is always the reverse - some one comes home to their now non-existent home - which has been demolished by mistake.

That's on the developer. The developer built on the wrong property, by mistake, which could have been avoided by... I don't know, a survey? The owner of the lot now has to deal with a bunch of legal nonsense and pay higher property taxes because someone didn't do their job. What did the developer offer? Swapping lots? How about an apology and removing the mistake without the fuss. I don't want to hear about "the reverse".

From the article...

image.png.9d1d41454f1f70916737cd468c91cdfa.png

I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

Edited by Mega Tank