IGNORED

Does anybody know who owns this collection....

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

Who ever he is, I'm jealous of his wife... That dude's got one of the biggest e-peens I've ever seen! 😳

Aside from the carpet, I honestly thought that was yours dude.

Is Sega CD stuff worth so much? Genuine question, I don't go for that stuff at all, so I'm not seeing the value here, haha

23 minutes ago, snes_collector said:

Joe Santulli, the founder of Digital Press, and a pioneer of video game collecting. I tried finding his old room of doom pictures, but they seem to be offline now. 

Oh cool, yeah I remember when room of doom was posted in tips n tricks, though I know it wasn't Joe that was behind that blurb.

Similarly, I used to be a member of digital press back in the day, Ive exchanged verbal utterences with Joe before.

Just now, fcgamer said:

Is Sega CD stuff worth so much? Genuine question, I don't go for that stuff at all, so I'm not seeing the value here, haha

Depends on what you mean by value.  Dollar wise, there is a lot of money sitting there.  Gameplay wise, there are some really fun games, but the ratio of good games to bad is pretty low for me.  Display wise, I think Sega CD games look awesome.  Both the jewel cases and the cardboard boxes look really good in my opinion.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Depends on what you mean by value.  Dollar wise, there is a lot of money sitting there.  Gameplay wise, there are some really fun games, but the ratio of good games to bad is pretty low for me.  Display wise, I think Sega CD games look awesome.  Both the jewel cases and the cardboard boxes look really good in my opinion.  

I agree. After starting collecting for the console, I'm really enjoying how they present. Something about that blue stripe and the long boxes works surprisingly well.

10 hours ago, final fight cd said:

Does anybody know who owns this collection? I know it’s been on the web for years, but wondering if anybody has any sites into the owner.  

image.jpeg.b123377a6f9a7fba28aee22742505512.jpeg

I don't know, but I sure hope he got some proper shelves by now. Only thing he is obviously missing is the red version of Wonder Dog.

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Gameplay wise, there are some really fun games, but the ratio of good games to bad is pretty low for me.  

I have to disagree with you - there are at least 20 games that are  first tier or very close to it.  And then we move to the good/very good ones. And I am really not taking into consideration games in genres I don't like since I largely  ignore them.*

That isn't bad percentage wise when you consider that the US library was only (originally) 149 games or thereabouts.  Look over Reed's herculean SNES reviews if you want to find a large pack of canines!  

Yeah -the FMV games (which were supposed to be a hallmark for the platform) generally sucked - but it wouldn't be the first time things went differently for something (in the very early days of radio for example it was hoped/projected that radio would take the place of phones since wires of all sorts had proliferated in the cities as technology advanced).  Probably the most influential of the FMVs (Night Trap) was not because it was a good game but because of the controversy brouhaha that swirled around it.

*A large consideration when evaluating any library is one's personal tastes.  I like strategy (including srpgs) and rpgs - the Sega CD didn't have many of those but most of what they had fell into the great category. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I have to agree. The Sega CD library was pretty diverse and had a variety of good games, but people focus on the FMV dreck that was only a portion of the library.

Don't get me wrong, most of the FMV stuff SUUUUCKED, but you can have some goofy fun out of some of them. Night Trap was memorable for the controversy, but the ridiculous story and events are hilarious, especially if you have friends over for a "check this out" sort of get together. Even stuff like Slam City, with its sanitized trash talk, or Sewer Shark are kind of amusing.

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

It’s something I like and enjoy collecting, so by law of the universe, yes it’s pricey lol

Real talk though soon after I started collecting games as a hobby, I began to look more into systems that I didn’t have as a child. Snatcher on Sega CD was the first game that wowed me and showed me that there is a whole world of retro games I had never experienced. That + the fact that the English game hasn’t been re-released in any form since, it’s one of my most wanted games. Someday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, I have to agree. The Sega CD library was pretty diverse and had a variety of good games, but people focus on the FMV dreck that was only a portion of the library.

Don't get me wrong, most of the FMV stuff SUUUUCKED, but you can have some goofy fun out of some of them. Night Trap was memorable for the controversy, but the ridiculous story and events are hilarious, especially if you have friends over for a "check this out" sort of get together. Even stuff like Slam City, with its sanitized trash talk, or Sewer Shark are kind of amusing.

FMV games aren’t THAT bad. I’ve actually sat down and put some time into surgical strike, ground zero.  Hard as balls.  Are they classics, of course not. But they are playable. 

19 hours ago, final fight cd said:

FMV games aren’t THAT bad. I’ve actually sat down and put some time into surgical strike, ground zero.  Hard as balls.  Are they classics, of course not. But they are playable. 

Ground Zero Texas was tedious as fuck for me. I couldn't get through it. Just something about aliens conveniently disguised as humans falling backwards when you move a targeting reticle over them. Over and over and over...

Double Switch requires such precise timing that I'm amazed anyone has actually finished it. You're actually supposed to cut away from Corey Haim's opening monologue to do other stuff, and it doesn't clue you in. Fuck that game.

Some of the others are okay.

Edited by Tulpa

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, egg_sanwich said:

So many games I don't want to play. Like all those music video games, woof!

I was always pretty interested in the music video Sega CD stuff.  Pretty innovative if you ask me.  Probably the pinnacle of Marky Mark's career. 😁

Kriss Kross will make ya... Jump! Jump!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OptOut said:

One thing we're neglecting to question here is WHY OP wants to track this guy down...

Stalking? Burglary? Handjob?! What's your angle dude?! 🧐

Definitely gotta be a handjob. With a collection of this calibre, gonna be a handjob with the power glove.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I was always pretty interested in the music video Sega CD stuff.  Pretty innovative if you ask me.  Probably the pinnacle of Marky Mark's career. 😁

Kriss Kross will make ya... Jump! Jump!

In the heyday of the  laserdisc Pioneer Artists had these 8" music discs that would have 3 or 4 songs on one side (sometimes they would double that if both sides were used).  They were pretty neat - I have about 80 of them. 

1685738792_images(1).jpeg.7d4cf9c329546b401ac4864db1982272.jpeg

210129194_download(7).jpeg.3bbb0b39014756e7f8c49a071f75255a.jpeg

(This video is really funny if you pay attention to what is going on visually.)

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 9:40 AM, fcgamer said:

Oh cool, yeah I remember when room of doom was posted in tips n tricks, though I know it wasn't Joe that was behind that blurb.

Similarly, I used to be a member of digital press back in the day, Ive exchanged verbal utterences with Joe before.

I think Joe Santulli did do Room of Doom, it seems to be part of his Collector’s Closet column back in the early 2000s.

@final fight cd are you trying to get in touch with Joe? He’s on the Digital Press forum. I live close to the Digital Press store but he’s rarely there except for the Black Friday sales.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:24 AM, Tabonga said:

In the heyday of the  laserdisc Pioneer Artists had these 8" music discs that would have 3 or 4 songs on one side (sometimes they would double that if both sides were used).  They were pretty neat - I have about 80 of them. 

1685738792_images(1).jpeg.7d4cf9c329546b401ac4864db1982272.jpeg

210129194_download(7).jpeg.3bbb0b39014756e7f8c49a071f75255a.jpeg

(This video is really funny if you pay attention to what is going on visually.)

8”?? Lol I’ve heard of GameCube size discs, standard 5” discs, I’ve heard of 7” records, 10” records, and 12” records and laserdiscs. I’ve never seen an 8” before.

I actually use laserdiscs for the cover art of my favorite movies. I hang them up in record album frames.

10 hours ago, mideast said:

8”?? Lol I’ve heard of GameCube size discs, standard 5” discs, I’ve heard of 7” records, 10” records, and 12” records and laserdiscs. I’ve never seen an 8” before.

I actually use laserdiscs for the cover art of my favorite movies. I hang them up in record album frames.

They also made 5"  CD-Vs - which were an odd hybrid that would have up to 5 minutes of a video clip and 20 minutes of audio. 

35236224_s-l500(1).jpg.891edb16f3501ef231c362b3bca7fc9a.jpg

They also made a few 12" hybrids that would have 4 or so video tracks and several music only tracks.

677603313_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.5fa3ca16ea91010e1c449e420ed1dbdf.jpg

325398409_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.dcacea3a92b1d6b500321e53ab5bc250.jpg

There were a couple of other odd/obscure formats also. 

(PS - if you look at a laser drawer when it is extended it will have grooves to hold 12", 8" and 5" discs.  (If applicable the 5" would also hold cds or dvds - but they are on most players (except really early ones) whether those players can handle cds and dvds or not.  

Edited by Tabonga

On 2/1/2021 at 10:06 AM, Tabonga said:

They also made 5"  CD-Vs - which were an odd hybrid that would have up to 5 minutes of a video clip and 20 minutes of audio. 

35236224_s-l500(1).jpg.891edb16f3501ef231c362b3bca7fc9a.jpg

They also made a few 12" hybrids that would have 4 or so video tracks and several music only tracks.

677603313_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.5fa3ca16ea91010e1c449e420ed1dbdf.jpg

325398409_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.dcacea3a92b1d6b500321e53ab5bc250.jpg

There were a couple of other odd/obscure formats also. 

(PS - if you look at a laser drawer when it is extended it will have grooves to hold 12", 8" and 5" discs.  (If applicable the 5" would also hold cds or dvds - but they are on most players (except really early ones) whether those players can handle cds and dvds or not.  

I've never owned a Laser Disc player but they are pretty cool. They predate VHS, correct? Do you collect Video Discs too?