IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

4 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

So I just gave F-15 Strike Eagle a try even though I'm not quite sure what the exact completion criteria is outside of beating the seven missions. Apparently you unlock new missions by scoring lots of points and how many you're getting depends on the difficulty. I was playing as a pilot, i.e. second lowest difficulty or 2 out of 4. It took many hours, but I grinded up to over 40 million points which unlocked the last level, Baghdad, and beat that one.

However, I only have 5 out of 6 medals that you can supposedly get there. From what I've read, you to need to beat the last level on the highest difficulty to earn 8 million points which unlocks secret missions. No idea, if those are necessary as well, so I'll just leave the decision up to you.

I don't believe we required all the medals in years past, so sounds good!

Although, it seems like people usually did everything for F-117, so maybe there needs to be some consistency/clarification between these two titles.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 661/677

I've been playing a little bit of Motor City Patrol, I can definitely beat it by the end of the year but I've been preoccupied playing other games lately. I also have save states to practice Destination: Earthstar but it's tough AF and I'm not great at shooters, so someone else should probably handle that one. If nobody else picks it up I'll get around to it eventually, but don't let me hold anyone back from playing it.

8 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

We are at a point where we only need to clear a game every three days to finish the list, but it seems like we're going to go a little faster than that and maybe have our second-fastest finish ever.

What is everyone playing, or about to start next?

BL2 wont hold up progress. Probably finish it tonight. Def by end of weekend. After that, ill be short on time and giving whatever I got to the weekly contest tourney 

Edited by NESfiend

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 662/677
2 hours ago, scaryice said:

All 4 Bases Loaded games are down! Always a blessed day around here, and we all should consider ourselves lucky that the fifth Japan-only game in the series wasn't released here (it was released third, actually).

It was really interesting to find out that the first game was considered an absolutely infamous piece of kusoge in Japan. Apparently they bugfixed the hell out of it before releasing the US version.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Khromak said:

I've been playing a little bit of Motor City Patrol, I can definitely beat it by the end of the year but I've been preoccupied playing other games lately. I also have save states to practice Destination: Earthstar but it's tough AF and I'm not great at shooters, so someone else should probably handle that one. If nobody else picks it up I'll get around to it eventually, but don't let me hold anyone back from playing it.

@nerdynebraskan@scaryice

I've been working on Motor City Patrol too. I'm happy to give it up though, so let me know.

I'm going to start L'Empereur on Dec 1 if it's not beaten by then.

I _could_ beat Bill & Ted again, but really don't want to.

Is Wizards & Warriors III hard or just bad? I played around with it a little a while back, but not seriously.

2 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

@nerdynebraskan@scaryice

I've been working on Motor City Patrol too. I'm happy to give it up though, so let me know.

Is Wizards & Warriors III hard or just bad? I played around with it a little a while back, but not seriously.

Funny, I was toying with L'Empereur as well, although I probably wasn't gonna say anything on principle 😛

I don't blame ya there...Bill & Ted is bloody terrible.  It was a great idea, but the execution is so damn bad!

I'd say W&W3 is probably more hard than bad.  It plays similarly to the first two games, but with no continues whatsoever, and a lot of exploration and backtracking.  It's definitely one that takes practice.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:22 PM, scaryice said:

I don't believe we required all the medals in years past, so sounds good!

Although, it seems like people usually did everything for F-117, so maybe there needs to be some consistency/clarification between these two titles.

For F-15 just beating all the missions should be fine. The medals are more like achievements and don't unlock anything extra. The reason everything gets done in F-117 is because the medals actually unlock the final stages, which in turn unlock the ending of the game. 

Sounds to me like F-15 is done. And the score in F-117 is cumulative. So you can grind away at lower difficulties to get your score up enough to unlock the medal if you like. You do get more points for the higher difficulties though so just do whichever one you can handle the best to cut down your grinding time.

19 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

@nerdynebraskan@scaryice

I don't think Wizards & Warriors III is bad at all. Some of the guild challenges are pretty tough, but the rest of the game isn't too much. The challenge is that it's got no continues like the other W&W games and it's a bit longer. So it may take several attempts to learn it since it's kind of laid out like a Metroid game. 

I got to the final boss fight in W&W3 once for an earlier version of this competition, but got killed because I wasn't familiar with the quirks of the ultimate weapon that you only earn right before that.

There's only about an hour of gameplay if you know where you're going. I was using a walkthrough, because I don't care enough for a game so cryptic and nonlinear to learn it blind on one credit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

I don't think Wizards & Warriors III is bad at all. Some of the guild challenges are pretty tough, but the rest of the game isn't too much. The challenge is that it's got no continues like the other W&W games and it's a bit longer. So it may take several attempts to learn it since it's kind of laid out like a Metroid game. 

When I tried it earlier in the year, I found the guild challenges to be really frustrating. I like the first two games, but I really didn't care for W&W3 at all.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 663/677
13 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I never doubted you. Is L'Empereur really so bad that you keep procrastinating on it to play stuff as lousy as Last Starfighter or hard as Arkanoid? You've already done the other eight Koei games, right? 

I encountered one of the many joys of playing everything on the original system... a dead battery!  So I was too lazy to change it right away and did last starfighter.  Then I did replace the battery but I was more in the mood for a just perform game, basically mindless nothing to learn simple controls just do it, so that was arkanoid.  I’ve done the other koei games I always enjoy them almost to the point of obsession.  Once I start I can’t get it off my mind, so the biggest hurdle for me has always been the starting.  But probably best to let @Daniel_Doyce do it because I can’t be sure I’ll finish in time even if I start soon.

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with L'Empereur if you like the other Koei strategy games.  Oddly enough, my first time nearing completion was also killed by a battery issue.  It wasn't dead, but I encountered a glitch that wiped my save, just as I had conquered Russia and was about to invade England for the win 😞

Guess that's one of the few perks of emulation - never having to worry about corrupted saves 😛