IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

On 10/31/2021 at 10:19 AM, Gaia Gensouki said:

I'm finally done with The Black Bass! Once I've figured out how it works it was quite decent, but even winning the final tournament and getting first place was just insanely difficult, imho. No wonder that it's a 9 point game. Still, catching a 12+ lb black bass felt more like luck than anything else.

1924871682_blackbass.jpg.bf8193bec06814a7e97b0f15f74c9f3d.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

456418138_blackbass2.jpg.faff9825164cb8628ba00b3e26d9b3da.jpg

1518923772_blackbass3.jpg.3a2efcb22c523116b33820b3908624b4.jpg

Holy shit, you caught alot of fish. When I last played it in think I just averaged maybe 4 or 5 per lake, I don't remember catching that many. 

@BriGuy82 Yeah, I played every tournament from start to finish and was also constantly trying to figure out how to catch certain fish and such. Most fishes were also quite small, because I realized too late that the judges prefer few big fish over many small fish. Therefore I wasted a lot fo time.

I'm currently working on Back to the Future II & III and got 27 treasures in episode II. So give me maybe one or two more days depending on how difficult the rest gets and I should be able to make it through this game. It's honestly atrocious and might be one of my least favorite NES games so far. At least other bad games like Dragon's Lair or Rocky & Bullwinkle had the decency to be mercifully short.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 656/677
14 hours ago, Strikezone1 said:

Nice. I'm surprised Lethal Weapon lasted on the list as long as it did this year. 

I beat it 2-3 years ago for the thread, and didn't think it was all that difficult.

Yeah, it wasn't bad at all. For anyone else tackling this game in the future, I recommend just punching and kicking 95% of the time, rather than using the gun.

• Like 1

Speaking of Back to the Future 2 & 3, it's done! This is easily one of the worst NES games I've played so far. I used Nenriki's playthrough and even then it took many, many hours. I can't imagine how terrible this game would have been if it wasn't for a video guide or the map on gamefaqs.

BttF.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Speaking of Back to the Future 2 & 3, it's done! This is easily one of the worst NES games I've played so far. I used Nenriki's playthrough and even then it took many, many hours. I can't imagine how terrible this game would have been if it wasn't for a video guide or the map on gamefaqs.

BttF.jpg

Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed it back in the day.  Rented it a bunch.  It's confusing as hell, but I dug the music and the gameplay itself is solid (although some of the puzzle rooms are brutally unforgiving).  It definitely could've used a save feature, either via battery backup or a password.  They even went so far as to put a hidden password screen in, but only one code actually functions...like fuck, would it have taken that much more effort?

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 657/677

Dance aerobics is done. Honestly, the power pad is a little too sensitive or they expect you to change positions too fast or something. I had to try a bunch of exercises many times before I understood what the heck she wanted. Definitely a hell of a workout though, I have no idea how TMR did it all in one go. I guess it helps that he was much younger than I am. 

DanceAerobics.jpg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 658/677
13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Made good progress at BL2 this week. Now 46-1. Thought it was 80 wins to finish the regular season, but its 75. And Im actually still enjoying the games somehow, so thats a big win

Keep up the good work! Only 19 games left in this competition... I've been trying out Sky Kid but it seems rather difficult. Of course, as mentioned earlier, everything left is either hard or tedious at this point.

Edited by scaryice

I managed to beat Stealth ATF! I'm not a fan of flight combat sims and this game didn't convince me otherwise. However, it wasn't all that bad and I ended up getting some enjoyment out of this. Sure, the controls take some time to get used to and the animation is overall quite choppy, which is understandeable given the hardware limitations. But there was still plenty of action and I managed to improve little by little and got quite engrossed by trying to beat the 8 stages until the game loops.

Maybe some sticky notes: For starting the plane you just keep pressing and down and for landing I got reliable results by pressing B once so that the plane moves only slightly backwards. Then press down until the nose is slightly angled downwards and then press up once shortly before landing. For fighting the other airplanes I just flew around wildly constantly making loops and trying to chase them. Going at the enemies directly was usually a recipe for failure. Maybe better players can do this, but I constantly got hit or shot down with a missile when doing this. So I tried to be constantly moving in different directions, even if it made hitting enemies more difficult. At least I survived long enough to make it through the eight stages.

Stealth ATF.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 659/677

Airwolf is done. This one was really difficult. 20 Levels with only a few lives and so many opportunities to lose lives. There are plenty of enemies on screen that usually fly just poutside of your shooting range and that will then shoot missiles at you, sometimes up to three at the same time. At first I tried aiming at them, but apparently it's enough to just aim for the right altitude and everything on that altitude will get shot down. Well, most of the time. Then you can also die by running out of fuel, which can happen quite easily on a few of those levels. Finally, there is some sort of timer, that will run out after a while. If that happens HQ will send in another aircraft to rescue the civilians, but it gets shot down and as a result you will lose a life for whatever reason. In order to avoid this, you should try to avoid the borders of the maps. Fly into them a few times and you will lose a life this way.

Overall, this was an alright game, but nothing that I crave to go back to anytime soon. It was definitely quite challenging and the controls were a bit weird since you regularly need to press Start and Select while also keeping A pressed and be ready to press B in case of an emergency. Due to this I had to use some kind of crab claw technique to be able to press all the buttons. However, what grinded my gears the most about this game, was, how frequent and long the cut scenes and mission debriefings were. I swear that they make up about 50% of the total playtime. Some levels were shorter than the cutscenes!

Anyway, this game loops after level 20 and I managed to make it up to level 27.

Airwolf.jpg

Airwolf_score.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 660/677
10 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Airwolf is pretty tough for the reasons you mentioned. Nice work and I agree that it's something not worth playing again

I tried to play airwolf toward the end of last season and it seemed totally broken. After failing to beat the fiest level in several tries, I put that cart back on the shelf and resisted the urge to take a hammer to it. Gaia is a god among men

• Haha 1

So I just gave F-15 Strike Eagle a try even though I'm not quite sure what the exact completion criteria is outside of beating the seven missions. Apparently you unlock new missions by scoring lots of points and how many you're getting depends on the difficulty. I was playing as a pilot, i.e. second lowest difficulty or 2 out of 4. It took many hours, but I grinded up to over 40 million points which unlocked the last level, Baghdad, and beat that one.

However, I only have 5 out of 6 medals that you can supposedly get there. From what I've read, you to need to beat the last level on the highest difficulty to earn 8 million points which unlocks secret missions. No idea, if those are necessary as well, so I'll just leave the decision up to you.

F-15 Strike Eagle medals.jpg

F-15 Strike Eagle.jpg

34 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

So I just gave F-15 Strike Eagle a try even though I'm not quite sure what the exact completion criteria is outside of beating the seven missions. Apparently you unlock new missions by scoring lots of points and how many you're getting depends on the difficulty. I was playing as a pilot, i.e. second lowest difficulty or 2 out of 4. It took many hours, but I grinded up to over 40 million points which unlocked the last level, Baghdad, and beat that one.

However, I only have 5 out of 6 medals that you can supposedly get there. From what I've read, you to need to beat the last level on the highest difficulty to earn 8 million points which unlocks secret missions. No idea, if those are necessary as well, so I'll just leave the decision up to you.

By the sound of things, there's only 7 missions.  You unlock the final medal by getting 8 million points on that final mission.  My guess is getting that many points is only possible on Ace difficulty, which keeps that medal locked.  Not sure if you can replay the final level, but if so it may be a cumulative point total rather than a static one.  I think for the purpose of this list you should be okay, because you still got to the end, and there's no difference aside from the extra medal.  I'm no expert on this game though, nor do I know what constituted victory in years past, so I'll leave the final judgment to the boss man, but that's my take on it.