IGNORED

Christmas and New Years Eve/Day plans?

Tabonga

Normally two of my brothers would come down for Christmas Eve dinner and exchange gifts - maybe have a movie in the background that gets ignored as we goof around.  This year they are not coming down due to the virus so it will be just Mrs. Tabonga and me.  I have three or four Christmas horror movies that I have not seen before  that I am going to watch Christmas Eve Day. We are going to have homemade chili and cornbread for dinner.

New Year's Eve it will be just the two of us (as it always is) - we will probably get Chinese takeout and drink some champagne and turn in early - we used to stay up till midnight but those days are long gone!

What are your plans?

Edited by Tabonga

• The title was changed to Christmas and New Years Eve/Day plans?

Same thing we do every year. Get together at my grandmothers (GM) on christmas eve, then grandfathers (GF) house christmas day. Dinner at both, a "normal" dinner at my GF's but my GM is an old polish lady so that dinner is pierogies and various soups. The day after christmas will be a day of sleeping off the smidgen comma (little chocolate/peanut butter santas from Getrude Hawk, they're amazingly good) since they're like a family tradition and everyone ends up with like 3 boxes each and eat them throughout christmas eve/day.

Christmas Eve I'll work. Christmas Day I'll also work. Last time I tried to ask off for Christmas was two years ago, when I brought my ex and her sister, who is my good friend, home to the States. Asked for the time off six months in advance and the manager threatened to fire me if I didn't find someone to fill in for me. Yeah, that sort of abuse sticks around in one's memory for a long time.

Boxing Day I invited some good friends over to mine, as well as some colleagues. We will play video games, eat hors d'oeuvre, and of course do a lot of drinking. I may even do a small music performance, and of course we will exchange gifts. Afterwards, we will go out to continue the night.

New Year's Eve, I think I have to work it as well. If I'm lucky, after work, one of my friends will have pity on me and invite me out with them. If not, then I'll just buy a bunch of booze and waste away the evening with my cat, and probably with another gaming session. Then I'll sleep it off on January 1st, which I will have off.

41 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Christmas Eve I'll work. Christmas Day I'll also work. Last time I tried to ask off for Christmas was two years ago, when I brought my ex and her sister, who is my good friend, home to the States. Asked for the time off six months in advance and the manager threatened to fire me if I didn't find someone to fill in for me. Yeah, that sort of abuse sticks around in one's memory for a long time.

Boxing Day I invited some good friends over to mine, as well as some colleagues. We will play video games, eat hors d'oeuvre, and of course do a lot of drinking. I may even do a small music performance, and of course we will exchange gifts. Afterwards, we will go out to continue the night.

New Year's Eve, I think I have to work it as well. If I'm lucky, after work, one of my friends will have pity on me and invite me out with them. If not, then I'll just buy a bunch of booze and waste away the evening with my cat, and probably with another gaming session. Then I'll sleep it off on January 1st, which I will have off.

Heh - no offense but the phrase "low man on the totem pole" seems to be applicable here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Heh - no offense but the phrase "low man on the totem pole" seems to be applicable here.

Christmas isn't a holiday for Taiwanense, most folks here don't have Christian roots, etc. So everyone works. 

The only reason I am involved with any Christmas activities is because of my job (language teacher, so learning about culture), and even a lot of expats here don't do much to celebrate Christmas with their Taiwanese wives / families. I find it weird, but it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Christmas isn't a holiday for Taiwanense, most folks here don't have Christian roots, etc. So everyone works. 

The only reason I am involved with any Christmas activities is because of my job (language teacher, so learning about culture), and even a lot of expats here don't do much to celebrate Christmas with their Taiwanese wives / families. I find it weird, but it is what it is.

Being threatened for asking for leave six months in advance seems pretty excessive.  Unless you simply don't get any leave time - but that seems pretty abusive if that is the case.

18 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Being threatened for asking for leave six months in advance seems pretty excessive.  Unless you simply don't get any leave time - but that seems pretty abusive if that is the case.

Well up until last year when we all threatened to walk, all the foreign workers did not get any paid leave. Even now, we still get drastically less than the locals. That's just how it is here, and if we don't like it, we can go home 🙂

But yeah, despite our contracts allowing us leave, the manager gets over the top about it.

I’ll be spending Christmas Eve, my birthday, with my kids. Open some presents and play some games while making food. Watch our church’s online Christmas Eve celebration and avoid going out into the frigid cold coming. On Christmas they’ll go to their moms and I’ll become Uncle Scrooge and threaten to shove a candy cane up people’s noses if they bother me while I check out the Secret Santa thread. All in good fun of course.

I have a four day stretch off of work! Woohoo!

Christmas with the wife and kids. Can't wait to give my son his first bike and bust out the Mario Kart Live stuff I got him! Baby is too small to appreciate the holiday, but it will be fun watching her play with wrapping paper.

New Year's is a quiet holiday for me ever since having kids, especially this year with the virus. I'll be up at midnight, probably playing video games.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

Woke up at 4:30, did a 10-mile jog, and ate candy for breakfast haha. Now I'm killing time here on VGS for an hour or so until I video-call my family to open the gifts we mailed each other and to watch Christmas Mass online.
We've got a video-call planned with the extended family tonight, too.

It's an unusual Christmas this year for sure, but I hope everyone stays safe and enjoys themselves!

-CasualCart

• Like 4

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got up and immediately made a pot of coffee and ate two Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits. I guess that explains why I'm not lanky! 😂

I don't even remember the last time I went on a jog, I guess that explains why I'm not lanky 😆

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Sitting here with the inlaws, wishing I was anywhere else.

Or I should say, wishing they were anywhere else...

17 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

On my way to the in-laws... wishing I was on my way anywhere else...

I am extremely fortunate to have amazing in-laws, but I feel for you both. As the saying goes, when you marry someone, you marry their whole family.

• Like 1