IGNORED

2020 Holiday Chiptune Music Contest

Deadeye

Here it is folks! Below the post is a mp3 file of the chiptune holiday classic along with an NES ROM!

A rendition of "12 Days of Christmas" in not just it's European sounding glory but filled with style references as well, maybe you might recognize a couple. 😉

The NES Demo ROM didn't go exactly as planned and ended up being rushed, hence the meh-ish graphic, but that's not important anyways. The sound engine I developed plays the tune exactly as planned and it works on hardware. Here's an image of the ROM playing on my PowerPak via. an AV Famicom. The MP3 itself was recorded from MESEN.

20120504_162708.thumb.jpg.d4b20c05fe570a82e9186066239b1889.jpg

Hope you'll enjoy the tune, I had fun writing and tediously converting it to NES and enjoyed spreading the Christmas cheer. Stay safe and Happy Holidays. 

VGS12DaysDemo.mp3 VGS12DaysDemo.nes

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Famicuber said:

Here it is folks! Below the post is a mp3 file of the chiptune holiday classic along with an NES ROM!

A rendition of "12 Days of Christmas" in not just it's European sounding glory but filled with style references as well, maybe you might recognize a couple. 😉

The NES Demo ROM didn't go exactly as planned and ended up being rushed, hence the meh-ish graphic, but that's not important anyways. The sound engine I developed plays the tune exactly as planned and it works on hardware. Here's an image of the ROM playing on my PowerPak via. an AV Famicom. The MP3 itself was recorded from MESEN.

Hope you'll enjoy the tune, I had fun writing and tediously converting it to NES and enjoyed spreading the Christmas cheer. Stay safe and Happy Holidays. 

VGS12DaysDemo.mp3 4.48 MB · 2 downloads VGS12DaysDemo.nes 40.02 kB · 9 downloads

...Maybe the person who gets second place could get the prize that the person in first place doesn't pick...? 😅

Homebrew Team · Posted
45 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

...Maybe the person who gets second place could get the prize that the person in first place doesn't pick...? 😅

I am okay with that.  I was donating 8-Bit XMAS and @Jeevan was donating the gift card.

@Jeevan you okay with first and second place prizes?

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

I am okay with that.  I was donating 8-Bit XMAS and @Jeevan was donating the gift card.

@Jeevan you okay with first and second place prizes?

I think @ZeldaFreak is either scared, or he wrote something good........ 🤣

Ya its cool, whatever you decide.  I am for sure alright with it!

• Haha 1

Graphics Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Famicuber said:

VGS12DaysDemo.mp3 4.48 MB · 4 downloads VGS12DaysDemo.nes 40.02 kB · 10 downloads

Dude - this has got to be one of the coolest things ever - I just ran the ROM and could hardly believe this is even possible on the NES!

-CasualCart

• Like 2

Best christmas album of all time? Sia's 2017 "Everyday is Christmas" with it's modern pop sensibility, nostalgic (and sometimes depressed) tone, and some classic Sia (if that's a thing).

I've never used online sequencer so I gave it a shot: http://onlinesequencer.net/1761383

and the original video, which is totally worth a watch:

Great job everyone, it's very cool to see folks diving in with Famitracker! Merry Christmas!!!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I love this so much, The simple tune is very catchy, I love the detail with additional lyrics to the song and Man! You've got some serious art skill with animating Rudolph: the R-Type Reindeer who I also love. It really gets to show that you don't need to have a complex European sounding tune like mine to make it charming.  🙂

Also It's christmas! 🎄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, definitely not going to be able to fully finish mine in time for the deadline, so I suppose here's my entry for now just in case Deadeye is very strict about the deadline and doesn't give me a bit of leeway there, haha.

https://onlinesequencer.net/1765398

I call it Very Merry Holiday Cheer. The idea behind it was that I would combine 10-20 second portions of some of the most popular and/or some of my personal favorite Christmas songs in to one song, sort of like a greatest hits of Christmas songs, but in chiptune form. I still have 6 more songs I need to put in there though, and progress on it has been pretty slow, so I decided to just go ahead and stick the ending on there and call it a day just so I can at least make sure I get an entry in before the deadline. I'm still planning on working on this through all of tonight though, and I hope to have it fully completed by tomorrow morning.

I really hope I at least get, like, third place for this. I've spent hours and hours on this thing, haha. I've spent almost all day and night working on it, I've sacrificed sleep just to make sure I could get this in a presentable form in time for the deadline. I'm sure a more experienced musician could get this sort of thing done in no time flat, but an experienced musician I am not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

@ZeldaFreak - man that turned out so cool. I imagine all those changes in tempo must've made the transitions super difficult haha. Bravo, dude.

-CasualCart

Thanks, appreciate it, haha. Even though it's well past the deadline now, I'm still gonna complete it so you guys can at least hear what it would've sounded like if I had managed to complete it in time.

• Jeevan unpinned and pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

Join the conversation!

• Similar Content

• By Jeevan
      Come one, Come all to the next installment of VGS annual contests!!!!!!
      Feel like a drink?  Well so do the many patrons you will be serving!  Will you get blasted in the face or will you choose the right beverage that the bandit did not shake?
      Come take a crack at mixing up some beverages for the patrons that come in to your establishment.  What's the deal you ask?  Well the deal is, whoever can get the highest reputation(points) will be crowned the Mixology Champ!!!!!
      Challenge:  Play 1 player Tapper on the Atari 2600.  Must have the system set to P1 novice.  The following controls for the online emulator should look like the following:

The yellow circled button is how you choose P1 Expert or Novice.  Make sure it is in the position above!
      Other than that, you need to serve as many patrons as possible!  The highest score wins.  
      Following additional rules apply:
      The contest ends Sunday, 3/21/2021 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Play Tapper for Atari 2600 on P1 Novice.
      Play until Game over and the "beverages" are flashing empty/full.
      Take a picture and ping ole' Jeevy with an @Jeevan and harass him to update the scoreboard
      Highest Score wins the top prize!!!!
      Help ole' Jeevy keep track. If he doesn't update your score let him know! 🙂
      Contest starts at 7am EST(aka VGS time) 3/14/2021.
      Enjoy and have fun!!!!

Prize(s):  1st place $25 amazon gift card
                     2nd place $15 amazon gift card
                     3rd place $10 amazon gift card
    • By Jeevan
      Come one, come all, this is the first of hopefully many annual vgs holiday events!  
      The Valentine's Day challenge is one that may make or break you.  To compete you must be willing to put yourself through a bit of stress and challenge yourself to have some willpower. 
      As the chubby cherub, you sure do like to eat.  But the problem is, good ole' Jeeves is trying to get you fit enough for Valentine's day.  He has a prize for you if you can do it!
      Challenge:
      Play 1 player chubby cherub.  This can be on emulator or cart, but all rules apply from the nes weekly and other contests.  I.E. the following:
      The contest ends Sunday, 2/14/2021 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.
      The goal is to beat all the stages on chubby cherub and have the lowest score.  This means you will have to have some willpower not to eat all the grapes, apples, ice-cream, rice and cakes throughout the levels.  Lollypops should be avoided as much as you can.  Now that being said, you will have to eat some or you will shrivel up and die.  So the objective is to find the happy medium and stay fit enough for your Valentine's day sweetie .  
      Play Chubby Cherub on 1 player mode
      Play until Game Over or you beat Level 12.
      Take a picture and share here in this thread.
      Furthest progression with the lowest score wins the contest!
      Contest starts at the time of posting!!!!
      Good luck and enjoy!!!!

Prize(s):  1st place $25 amazon gift card
                     2nd place $15 amazon gift card
                     3rd place $10 amazon gift card
    • By Deadeye
      HoHoHoHo!  Spreading the holiday cheer for you all.  We had a impromptu chiptune contest running and the submissions have  closed.  Now is the fun part, all of you get to listen to their efforts and vote on your favorite chiptune entry.  Poll votes are not public, but feel free to discuss about the tunes or even say which one you voted for if you wish in this thread.  Voting closes on 12/24/2020 at 11:59 VGS time.  The contest was mostly for fun and holiday cheer, but first and second place get prizes.  

Playlist (make sure to scroll in the window to play all the chiptunes)
      Direct Link: https://soundcloud.com/deadeye_bit/sets/vgs-2020-xmas-chiptunes/s-ZdvJoSE7hTp
      Carol by @spacepup
      12 Days of Christmas: Chiptune Euro Style by @Famicuber
      Rudolph the R-Type Reindeer Chiptune by @CasualCart
      Santa's Coming For Us by @zi
      8 Bit by @TWarwick07
      Very Merry Holiday Cheer by @ZeldaFreak
      The primary submission was the chiptunes and that is what you are voting on, but a couple entries submitted bonus items for your enjoyment.
      Famicuber made the entry into a NES ROM and it playable on your emulator or flash cart.  ROM file attached to post. Casual Cart made the entry into an animated video with lyrics.  Link here  
      VGS12DaysDemo.nes
    • By JVOSS
      Good Day All,
      So recently i was challenged to find a way to give a high priced game away for free.  The rules are simple.  Come up with an unique idea that will allow the most people to participate in a contest and the winner would receive this game. However they are not allowed to know what the games title was.  I first thought of a lottery but that was very lame, then I thought of a high score contest but so 1980's.  Maybe a scavenger hunt but there again 1980's.
      I asking all of you to help with this process.  the following is what is see are hurdles or difficult to administer.
      1) visibility must be highly visible (should be drawing in people from other areas)
      2) participation must be high over 50
      3) Time frame - not to short and not to long as people may get board.
      3) Must be game related (no not the one given away)
      4) who will oversee..
      Finally as this may be categorized as gambling the the rules of 21 and over (US regulations) need to be (only) considered, as the value is over $200. 

• By ApebitMusic
      Hey guys, it's been about 6 months in the making. If you enjoy music for SNES Action and RPG titles such as Castlevania, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, I think you'll find a lot to like on my new album.
      There are rocking tracks, melancholy sonatas, and even some Hip Hop types of beats. I'm quite proud of it and hope you will check it out and support me! 
      Most of the album is streamable but I hid some of the best tracks, so if you'll have to buy the album to get to all the goodness   
      I hope you check it out and enjoy!!

Link ----->  APEBIT presents Precipice: Stardust !!! <----- Link

Yours Truly,
      Apebit