Jump to content
IGNORED

2020 Holiday Chiptune Music Contest


Deadeye
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here it is folks! Below the post is a mp3 file of the chiptune holiday classic along with an NES ROM!

A rendition of "12 Days of Christmas" in not just it's European sounding glory but filled with style references as well, maybe you might recognize a couple. 😉

The NES Demo ROM didn't go exactly as planned and ended up being rushed, hence the meh-ish graphic, but that's not important anyways. The sound engine I developed plays the tune exactly as planned and it works on hardware. Here's an image of the ROM playing on my PowerPak via. an AV Famicom. The MP3 itself was recorded from MESEN.

20120504_162708.thumb.jpg.d4b20c05fe570a82e9186066239b1889.jpg

Hope you'll enjoy the tune, I had fun writing and tediously converting it to NES and enjoyed spreading the Christmas cheer. Stay safe and Happy Holidays. 

VGS12DaysDemo.mp3 VGS12DaysDemo.nes

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Famicuber said:

Here it is folks! Below the post is a mp3 file of the chiptune holiday classic along with an NES ROM!

A rendition of "12 Days of Christmas" in not just it's European sounding glory but filled with style references as well, maybe you might recognize a couple. 😉

The NES Demo ROM didn't go exactly as planned and ended up being rushed, hence the meh-ish graphic, but that's not important anyways. The sound engine I developed plays the tune exactly as planned and it works on hardware. Here's an image of the ROM playing on my PowerPak via. an AV Famicom. The MP3 itself was recorded from MESEN.

20120504_162708.thumb.jpg.d4b20c05fe570a82e9186066239b1889.jpg

Hope you'll enjoy the tune, I had fun writing and tediously converting it to NES and enjoyed spreading the Christmas cheer. Stay safe and Happy Holidays. 

VGS12DaysDemo.mp3 4.48 MB · 2 downloads VGS12DaysDemo.nes 40.02 kB · 9 downloads

...Maybe the person who gets second place could get the prize that the person in first place doesn't pick...? 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Homebrew Team · Posted
45 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

...Maybe the person who gets second place could get the prize that the person in first place doesn't pick...? 😅

I am okay with that.  I was donating 8-Bit XMAS and @Jeevan was donating the gift card.

@Jeevan you okay with first and second place prizes?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

I am okay with that.  I was donating 8-Bit XMAS and @Jeevan was donating the gift card.

@Jeevan you okay with first and second place prizes?

I think @ZeldaFreak is either scared, or he wrote something good........ 🤣

Ya its cool, whatever you decide.  I am for sure alright with it!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Graphics Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Famicuber said:

Here it is folks! Below the post is a mp3 file of the chiptune holiday classic along with an NES ROM!

A rendition of "12 Days of Christmas" in not just it's European sounding glory but filled with style references as well, maybe you might recognize a couple. 😉

The NES Demo ROM didn't go exactly as planned and ended up being rushed, hence the meh-ish graphic, but that's not important anyways. The sound engine I developed plays the tune exactly as planned and it works on hardware. Here's an image of the ROM playing on my PowerPak via. an AV Famicom. The MP3 itself was recorded from MESEN.

20120504_162708.thumb.jpg.d4b20c05fe570a82e9186066239b1889.jpg

Hope you'll enjoy the tune, I had fun writing and tediously converting it to NES and enjoyed spreading the Christmas cheer. Stay safe and Happy Holidays. 

VGS12DaysDemo.mp3 4.48 MB · 4 downloads VGS12DaysDemo.nes 40.02 kB · 10 downloads

Dude - this has got to be one of the coolest things ever - I just ran the ROM and could hardly believe this is even possible on the NES!

-CasualCart

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best christmas album of all time? Sia's 2017 "Everyday is Christmas" with it's modern pop sensibility, nostalgic (and sometimes depressed) tone, and some classic Sia (if that's a thing).

I've never used online sequencer so I gave it a shot: http://onlinesequencer.net/1761383

and the original video, which is totally worth a watch:

Great job everyone, it's very cool to see folks diving in with Famitracker! Merry Christmas!!!

  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

 

I love this so much, The simple tune is very catchy, I love the detail with additional lyrics to the song and Man! You've got some serious art skill with animating Rudolph: the R-Type Reindeer who I also love. It really gets to show that you don't need to have a complex European sounding tune like mine to make it charming.  🙂

Also It's christmas! 🎄

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup, definitely not going to be able to fully finish mine in time for the deadline, so I suppose here's my entry for now just in case Deadeye is very strict about the deadline and doesn't give me a bit of leeway there, haha.

https://onlinesequencer.net/1765398

I call it Very Merry Holiday Cheer. The idea behind it was that I would combine 10-20 second portions of some of the most popular and/or some of my personal favorite Christmas songs in to one song, sort of like a greatest hits of Christmas songs, but in chiptune form. I still have 6 more songs I need to put in there though, and progress on it has been pretty slow, so I decided to just go ahead and stick the ending on there and call it a day just so I can at least make sure I get an entry in before the deadline. I'm still planning on working on this through all of tonight though, and I hope to have it fully completed by tomorrow morning.

I really hope I at least get, like, third place for this. I've spent hours and hours on this thing, haha. I've spent almost all day and night working on it, I've sacrificed sleep just to make sure I could get this in a presentable form in time for the deadline. I'm sure a more experienced musician could get this sort of thing done in no time flat, but an experienced musician I am not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

@ZeldaFreak - man that turned out so cool. I imagine all those changes in tempo must've made the transitions super difficult haha. Bravo, dude.

-CasualCart

Thanks, appreciate it, haha. Even though it's well past the deadline now, I'm still gonna complete it so you guys can at least hear what it would've sounded like if I had managed to complete it in time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • This topic was unpinned and pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...