IGNORED

The Metalhead Thread

Hammerfestus

This was the song that got me into Opeth, and heavy metal as a whole for that matter. I've never heard anything similar before and I've been chasing the dragon of looking for songs that take me through the ups and downs of the roller coaster ride that is often only found in metal ever since I heard this song by complete accident on my sister's Napster playlist. I was hooked on metal and have been ever since.

• Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted

Reed's Album of the Week #10

Emperor - Prometheus

Ihsahn's magnum opus?  Few would agree.  But I absolutely adore this album.  Guitar riffs for days, and black metal that's way outside the box, before that was the cool thing to do.  Tongue of Fire has so many ideas it's ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Reed's Album of the Week #11

Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery

Unfortunately I do not see a convienent and easy upload of the full album so you'd have to work for it yourself.

It's worth it though.  The heir apparents to Mr. Bungle gave us their best work with this album.

• 2 weeks later...

Picking back up featured metal albums for my extremely busy main man Reed. 

This week's featured album: 

Clutch- Blast Tyrant

Think a bluesier Pantera. They are locked in to some serious southern metal grooves with singer Neil Fallon dropping his signature vocal style and tongue in cheek social commentary. I can pop this bad boy in any day of the week and pretend my voice goes that deep with the best of them.

• Love 1

This week's featured album:

Diabolical Masquerade- Nightwork

Anders Nystrom of Katatonia AKA Blackheim had a silly little Black Metal side project. Except he struck absolute gold with his third offering with one of the best Black Metal albums ever. Plus, you cannot go wrong with song titles like "The Eerie Obzidian Circuz" or "The Zkeleton Keyz to the Dead".

• Love 1

I was asked if I wanted to see the show in NYC but I just wasn't super excited.  Im more of an Opeth fan than Mastodon (though I've listened to older Mastodon before I got into Opeth) but the stuff they've been doing the past 10 years just doesn't grip me, the way that Ghost Reveries/Still Life/Blackwater do.  I feel bad for saying that too!

This weeks featured metal album:

Dethklok- The Dethalbum

The first album by the world's most extreme metal band does not disappoint. Total fire from start to finish. I'm always intrigued when non-metal figures put out a metal album, but when you have the legendary Gene Hoglan handling the percussion, you can not possibly go wrong.

• Love 1