IGNORED

The Metalhead Thread

Hammerfestus

Graphics Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I find that the work gimmick is used a lot because it's easier to be reductive and negative.  Not saying you're doing it, but it's an overlying trend in the metal community.  Is Mercyful Fate a falsetto gimmick?  Is Killswitch a pinch gimmick?  Is Death a growling gimmick?  Is Eluveitie a hurdy gurdy gimmick?

I say bring on the themed albums if the bands can have fun doing them, and can execute on them.  The next album could be about Charlie Chaplin films, as long as they find a way to pull it off I'm all for it.

Of course it doesn't hurt that I love horror films 😅

This is so accurate it hurts haha. In a painfully hypocritical way, I'd absolutely love a concept album about something more "up-my-alley", and I'm really only bashing their use of the horror theme because it doesn't cater to my narrow tastes. Curse you for making me see reason lol.

-CasualCart

29 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I agree. I like their other non homage stuff, But might be so bold to say that I like the gimmicky stuff more. And for the record, I haven’t even seen most of the movies they are singing about other than knowledge of them from pop culture – I am not a horror movie guy either. 

I think I like the Silver scream because the lyrics are really well written and clever, and they use the classical scores from those movies in interesting ways within the song.  For example, in “rocking the boat”, using the famous ominous half step E-F from Jaws In the breakdown is heavy as fuck. It basically forces me to head bang every time I hear it, I can’t fight it. 

And thanks for giving me the heads up about the second one, I didn’t even know it came out I just download it for my ride home I am hella stoked!

Merry Axemas is my other favorite track too. A metal song about a murdering Santa? Sign me up

This is exactly the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back to the Silver Scream in spite of the reservations I mentioned above. I should really follow your lead and just enjoy the music. That Jaws theme gets me every time, too. And the breakdown in the Friday the 13th song that comes out of left-field at the very end is absolutely fantastic.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CasualCart said:

This is so accurate it hurts haha. In a painfully hypocritical way, I'd absolutely love a concept album about something more "up-my-alley", and I'm really only bashing their use of the horror theme because it doesn't cater to my narrow tastes. Curse you for making me see reason lol.

-CasualCart

This is exactly the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back to the Silver Scream in spite of the reservations I mentioned above. I should really follow your lead and just enjoy the music. That Jaws theme gets me every time, too. And the breakdown in the Friday the 13th song that comes out of left-field at the very end is absolutely fantastic.

-CasualCart

The friday the 13th songs lyrics are really, really good. 

And i did actually see F13 but it was a legit 30 years ago. Scared the absolute poop out of me. The deluxe edition has an acoustic version sung with the guy that played Jason (Ari something?) apparently hes a musician lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten, just have fallen behind.

This week's featured album:

Devin Townsend- Ocean Machine: Biomech

I am a huge Devin fan. This was his second solo album, originally released under the name "Ocean Machine", and his first with a more serious tone. It resembled a much heavier version of the 90s Alternative of the time compared to the hyper aggressive silliness of Strapping Young Lad. It's also hard to find a proper album on YouTube, but this live stream is absolutely fantastic. I'm in love again. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

This week's featured album:

...And Oceans- The Dynamic Gallery of Thought

Clocking in at 4 different languages used in the lyrics, this is some old school synth and blast beat driven black metal. While heavily inspired by the likes of Dimmu Borgir and Emperor, these guys have a much rougher, muddied, and dirtier sound. Personally, I love it. One my most listened to albums of my teenage years. That being said, they altered their style on every album released, ranging from humorous lyrics (after all, who can fault tracks with titles like "I wish I was pregnant") to some very Fear Factory sounding industrial albums. Interesting band for sure!

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

New Ghost song @Brickman , but I've been on 5 straight hours of calls and haven't listened 😒

road runner goodbye GIF by Looney Tunes

Just had a listen. Love it even more than the first single! This album is definitely shaping up to be a good one, can't wait to hear it in full.

Also not sure if there are any Eisbrecher fans here but I just listened to their new album yesterday and really enjoyed it. This is one of my favourites from the album.

34 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Elvenking-Heathenreel

If you gave a bunch of Hobbits from the shire Electric Guitars, I'm quite convinced that this is what they would come up with.

One of my all time very favorite folk metal albums.  Can’t listen to White Willow and not head bang. 

Edited by Hammerfestus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Matchbook said:

Reed how was the show?!?  I only just found this thread wtf!  I need to see a metal show and thrash around!

August was awesome.  Great setlist.  Wish the bass and drums were down a notch and the guitars and vocals up one, but the mix was pretty clear overall, and the stage energy and setup was great.

I've seen Killswitch 4 times now, and this was the weakest setlist.  Of the first 10 or so songs only 1 (Serenade) was from the first four albums.  And you can tell the guys are getting up there in age: Adam is a lot more subdued than in the past and had a leg brace.

They ended with a bunch of crowd pleasers, where Howard and Jesse did dual vocals, so that was awesome.

I don't usually waste time with pics with my crappy phone, but you can see I had to piss at the end of Killswitch so I fell pretty far into the back by then.  Separated from my group as well

PXL_20220227_041121089.jpg

PXL_20220227_055350952.MP.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/27/2022 at 3:43 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

August was awesome.  Great setlist.  Wish the bass and drums were down a notch and the guitars and vocals up one, but the mix was pretty clear overall, and the stage energy and setup was great.

I've seen Killswitch 4 times now, and this was the weakest setlist.  Of the first 10 or so songs only 1 (Serenade) was from the first four albums.  And you can tell the guys are getting up there in age: Adam is a lot more subdued than in the past and had a leg brace.

They ended with a bunch of crowd pleasers, where Howard and Jesse did dual vocals, so that was awesome.

I don't usually waste time with pics with my crappy phone, but you can see I had to piss at the end of Killswitch so I fell pretty far into the back by then.  Separated from my group as well

PXL_20220227_041121089.jpg

PXL_20220227_055350952.MP.jpg

Sounds like a great time.  It must be odd not seeing Adam running around in a cape being rambunctious.  I think I saw Killswitch last in 2009.  I havent been to a show since 2019 and I am itching for something.  Seattle has been sucky with the covid restrictions, but they are finally lifting.  I was hoping Devil Driver would tour up here but as usual they are mainly doing the Midwest (my old stomping grounds) and then on to Europe.